Warley 2012

bbishop

A few thoughts from me on this years Warley. I went on Sunday so as to have reduced crowds, this seemed to work and the crowds were manageable even at peak times and outside of those were very good indeed with one being able to walk upto layouts, Ive been doing Sunday for a couple of years now and wild horses wouldnt drag me back to Saturday.

Layout wise I loved the L&B theme area, was a little underwhelmed by Cliffhanger yet totally overwhelmed by County Gate in my view a magnificent piece of work (although it did seem to have a few running gremlins lurking at times). The 'perspective' Dutch layout was fascinating and well explained by it operator, a maverik genius at work there. The French layout that you coudl walk all round was an excellent piece of work .Of the large 00 layouts Bath Green Park was very enjoyable yet I found Lime Street to be dull as a spectacle, undoubtedly fine modelling but you coudlnt get close enough to see it.

Other thoughts on the layouts, some had barriers set quite well back which made viewing hard to see the detail and work that had gone into them , other front operator layouts were often obscured by the operator, and L shaped layouts where you view from inside the L are not condusive to a great number of people viewing, it might be the size of the hall but after being initially excited by DCC sound Im now finding that I just dont get it, the sounds due to the speaker size just arent strong enough for me, and if a diesel layout has an EE 20 anywhere near it the high pitched whistle dominates, and as I grow older and more grumpy laborious shunting manoeuvers just see me walk away, its all well and good for me to see just how good your track is to get the loco to move at a snails pace but I want to be entertained.

Picked up a couple of Bachhy BR Blue diesels for a combined outlay of under £100 so there were some decent bargains to be had even on Sunday, wish Id seen the BRM subscription offer of a free loco I would have taken that up straight away, and didnt spend much else apart fom a couple of quid on bits and bobs.

Travel from Tile Hill was relatively painless and low cost.

All in all a great day out, really enjoyed it, many high points for me to aim at, and if I manage to hit even the low points layout wise Id be chuffed to bits. And with the announcement of RTR 00-9 from Peco (please please please someone follow up with a loco) and all those beautiful L&B layouts, and my lack of space, I am giving serious thought to an adventure in this scale, I was thoroughly inspired and so Warley did its job well.

some of the operators shall we say are not of the playstation generation so are a bit slow selecting a few simple buttons and may press the wrong ones under pressure or forget to do things even after lots of training, and if the wrong button is pressed it can cause delays which can frustrate the other operators as it holds up them doing their job and results in a quiet spell for the public

That sounds like the barrier operators at the NEC car park gates. :yes:

G.

• RMweb Premium

Ron Ron Ron, I loved Châtellerault-Châteauneuf it was my favourite of the whole show, it had the essential elements, of movement and superb but understated detail, little things like tarpaulins were so expertly done, the roads were just right in colour and texture, the garden was beautiful especially the sunflowers. Vive La France!

• RMweb Premium

It seemed busier than on the previous two Sundays which I had attended, maybe that will end up as crushed as Saturday.

Maybe they should consider adding Friday as well if the attendance is still climbing?

Keith

IMO That will never happen as the costs would not be recoverable with increased attendance.

With the exception of Model Rail Scotland, I think I am correct in saying all UK exhibitions are two full days not three full days as some where in the past.

Eltel

I have seen Lime Street before and been very impressed. It seems a little unfair to criticise it as being not much of a spectacle and say in the same breath that you couldn't get near it. Clearly a lot of people thought it a spectacle!

Ed

I went on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed the show. I did think it was busier than the previous two Sundays but it was still nice to get round the traders & have a good look at the layouts.

I travelled by train, London Midland to get there & Virgin back, with no problems on either except maybe an 8 car London Midland to get there would have been nice as it was rammed by Rugby!

Particularly enjoyed the Cliffhanger layout, what a great idea. The live steam was also good, on the whole a very good selection of layouts.

Got a few bargains without going near Signalbox, some of their prices must have been less than they buy it for! I know some of the other traders were not impressed!

Fantastic show, we'll done Warley MRC again. Def be back next year, maybe a 2 day stint

• RMweb Premium

With the exception of Model Rail Scotland, I think I am correct in saying all UK exhibitions are two full days not three full days as some where in the past.

Skipton Sat-Mon August Bank Holiday weekend.

From an exhibitor point of view, 3 day shows can be a right PITA - extra day off work, (and when dealing with a large layout such as Blackmill, that does cause operator availability issues),

extra day's van hire, extra day away from home - SWMBO to be kept happy, etc....

As Eltel says, the extra costs to the organising club are not recoverable - extra day accomodation, venue hire, extra van hire expenses, extra operator meals - the list goes on.

Cheers,

Mick

IMO That will never happen as the costs would not be recoverable with increased attendance.

Eltel

I don't reckon 3 days would attract many more visitors either, just spread them over 3 days so could be quite a risk financially.

I have seen Lime Street before and been very impressed. It seems a little unfair to criticise it as being not much of a spectacle and say in the same breath that you couldn't get near it. Clearly a lot of people thought it a spectacle!

Ed

I was actually referring to the fact that the barriers were too far back rather than any crowds around it, managed to walk up to see it no problem but left disappointed I couldnt get nearer to appreciate the work that had gone into it.

Oops I forgot about York show which I think used to be Good Friday, Easter Saturday and Easter Monday & Tuesday and was not open on Easter Sunday

Eltel

Good Friday was always a setting up day. Opening times several years ago were, Saturday 10 till 7, Sunday 12 till 5, Monday 10 till 7 and Tuesday 10 till 6,

Good Friday was always a setting up day. Opening times several years ago were, Saturday 10 till 7, Sunday 12 till 5, Monday 10 till 7 and Tuesday 10 till 6,

My Dad said it used to be closed on Easter Sunday - so just the Saturday, Monday and Tuesday.

when you play with it with those who built it it is, the panel is easy to understand but some struggle to understand the card timetable

There's a nice picture of it here - it appears quite user friendly :D

8217880917_02e405ffc0_b.jpg

Liverpool Lime Street by invercloy, on Flickr

Don't worry Mike - there are plenty of folk on the big railway who seem to have that problem (and some always have had) ;)

Even with the magic that is Trust?!

• RMweb Gold

Even with the magic that is Trust?!

I sometimes get that impression!

Getting back to Warley I didn't bother with either Lime St (huge crowds - no surprise; and I have seen it previously) or Bath Green Park which I - along with other RMweb'rs have seen at close quarters in the past on private viewings - but I do find barriers present something of a viewing Catch-22. For example Tucking Mill was. like other layouts, duly 'protected' by barriers which meant close-up viewing wasn't possible in comparison with the situation at both 'Steam's show and Wycrail. Not a criticism of Warley as such because it is a large show with big crowds so organised 'protection' is an essential but it does show the difference between it and other shows which can offer a much more intimate viewing situation for layouts which merit close attention.

Another interesting point is that about the duration of modern exhibitions. Obviously costs have escalated massively over the years but I seem to recall that the old MRC 'Easter Show' went on for a week which helped to spread crowds while various other shows have over the years facilitated late afternoon/evening visits on the Friday. I know extended duration raises costs - probably by far too much(?) - but would it help spread the load in terms of visitor numbers or even encourage extra visitors?

• RMweb Premium

Barrier or not to barrier is an awkward one. We had 6 boards of Green Ayre and no barriers as it was a demonstration stand. Mostly this wasn't a problem as Dave and I stood at the front to talk to the public but we both ahd hot soldering irons and often if we were busy I found people wandering into the pen, stepping over wires to get a better photo of the awnings. If they'd tripped they could have caused quite a bit of damage. Several asked politely but there were many who just barged in. Fortunately nothing went wrong but the display boards did wobble a couple of times.

I can quite understand why there are barriers round the layouts but the ones that are laid out like Lime Street make it more awkward as the layout is often several feet from the barrier which makes it more awkward for viewers. There will probably never be an ideal solution that fits all layouts but in general I feel that the public should be allowed as close as possible.

Jamie

• Wakefield this weekend is also a 3 day show. It will be the first time that I've exhibited at a 3 dayer, but given that we normally drive to shows, and then set up on Fridays anyway it seems to me very sensible to open up to the public on Friday evening. I'll be very interested to see how busy it actually is. Back to Warley, I spent all day on Sunday, it wasn't that busy, and given a few minutes patience I got plenty of time in front of all the layouts that interested me. Again it was the continental layouts that impressed me most. The blue tram was a particular favourite, though the ICE train seemed a bit out of period. I also enjoyed the large tram layout, as did my son (particularly the open works tram filled with sweets!) Thanks again for the post about using the Station carpark, it was almost empty when I arrived, a much easier walk, and only £5.

• RMweb Premium

As a Exhibition Manager for Stafford for over 20 years I am quite sure we will not see any new or extended exhibition opening hours ever because of the reasons stated below

Hall Hire Costs by the day

Accomodation Costs by the day

Extended Van Hire Costs by the day

Tables, Chairs and in some cases barrier hire costs by the day

Increased costs to traders (many are already trying to keep the heads above the water) sorry about the pun at this time.

And let us not forget the costs in time for all the operators probably using the hard earned holiday leave entitlement as well as all the members of the hosting club time.

As part of the team that operates Stafford Railway Circles exhibition layouts there would be increased costs to the operators with extra evening meals for extra nights away or more journeys (more cost)

Most exhibitions do of course offer lunch and breakfast to members in accomodation except Model Rail Scotland where lunch is not provided

Barriers are extremely important at the larger exhibitions such as Warley, Glasgow, York, Stafford, and the BRM trio plus others.

Last weekend at Warley we had a team of our members supplying, delivering, erecting the Chiltern Assocition barriers held at our clubroom and at the end of the exhibition we did it all again.

Perhaps now we can stop debating exhibition duration, car parking, travel issues and concentrate on the hobby, which I think is what the RMweb should be all about.

Eltel

As a Exhibition Manager for Stafford for over 20 years I am quite sure we will not see any new or extended exhibition opening hours ever because of the reasons stated below

Hall Hire Costs by the day

Accomodation Costs by the day

Extended Van Hire Costs by the day

Tables, Chairs and in some cases barrier hire costs by the day

Increased costs to traders (many are already trying to keep the heads above the water) sorry about the pun at this time.

And let us not forget the costs in time for all the operators probably using the hard earned holiday leave entitlement as well as all the members of the hosting club time.

As part of the team that operates Stafford Railway Circles exhibition layouts there would be increased costs to the operators with extra evening meals for extra nights away or more journeys (more cost)

Most exhibitions do of course offer lunch and breakfast to members in accomodation except Model Rail Scotland where lunch is not provided

Barriers are extremely important at the larger exhibitions such as Warley, Glasgow, York, Stafford, and the BRM trio plus others.

Last weekend at Warley we had a team of our members supplying, delivering, erecting the Chiltern Assocition barriers held at our clubroom and at the end of the exhibition we did it all again.

Perhaps now we can stop debating exhibition duration, car parking, travel issues and concentrate on the hobby, which I think is what the RMweb should be all about.

Eltel

You can't just have your say and expect everyone else to shut up! This THREAD (which is a very small part of RMWeb) is about the Warley show, which is probably the most important on the calendar, and where the issues you list are particularly apposite.

Ed

Here is my video from the show. It's a bit narrow gauge eccentric.

http://youtu.be/7RiCmhLtBD0

Great bit of video and decent sound track for a change!

BTW you can just see my blue MRG polo shirt behind the back scene on "Four Corners" at 25 seconds into the film!

Not my layout though! I was just helping out fellow Cradley Heath MRC member Doug Brazier with some operating.

As for the rest of the show.

The journey from Stourbridge Junction to The NEC was the train journey from Hell! I won't elaborate but I am NOT impressed by Virgin Trains!

The Saturday was like the "Sardine Special" It was then that I realised the reasons I had not been to Warley as a punter for 12 years!

If it wasn't for the fact that Doug was short of operators then I would have given it a miss again this year.

TBH I would rather go to an exhibition like Stafford where the layout quality is as good and I can at least get near some of them!

Having said all that, I did make use of the day and managed to get some bits from that nice man at Comet Models.

Another positive point was I finally managed to catch and meet up with a few people Chris Nevard and Pete Waterman to name but two.

Will I be there next year? Well, Cradley Heath MRC's layout Colorado Bluff has been invited so.... Maybe.

Cheers

Frank

Archived