Warley 2012

bbishop

I have attended Warley for almost 20 years both as an exhibitor and visitor. One other thing besides the unforgiving floor is the very poor lighting. I have seen many excellent layouts which looked dull and uninteresting because they did not have their own lighting. Lighting makes all the difference.

I advise all exhibitors with either a display or layout to make sure they have their own lighting and it does not matter if it is fluorescent, tungsten filament or spotlights. I prefer to use fluorescent lights fitted with 'daylight' tubes as they give an evenly distributed natural light. If you use spotlights or tungsten filament lighting, after a short while it gets very hot behind your layout. And remember, you will be spending many hours there operating with the additional heat generated by visitors at least 2 or 3 deep at times!

I'll be there, again, this year for both days. I arrive at 08:05 from Zurich on Saturday (having gotten up at 03:00 UK time in order to catch the train to get to Zurich to get the 07:05 flight) and I'll be gasping for a decent cuppa and a decent breakfast - anyone know where around the airport and the NEC can one get a decent "full English"?

Anyway, apart from meeting up with some of the "the usual suspects", I hope to meet some new faces at the meeting. Will it be at the centre exhibit at 13:00 like last year?

Anyway, I'm at a loose end after about 19:30 on Saturday, anyone want to join me for a RMWeb Curry Pilgrimage?

iD

iL D.

Having just returned from Brum to oz, and staying near the airport, I can recommend the full english at the Wetherspoons in International departures terminal, accesible to the general public! Cask ales to wash it down with if you have a mind to!

cheers, Peter C.

I helped exhibit Harton Gill at Eurospoor in Utrecht, The Netherlands, last weekend and at Warley in 2010 and there are some interesting comparisons.

Not sure how the floorspace compares but Eurospoor had 23,000 square m in three halls per their publicity. The aisles seemed wider than at Warley and even though the show seemed busy it never seemed crowded. it ran for three days rather than the two at Warley. The venue was very much in the same style as the NEC, but in the centre of the city.

Lots more traders at Eurospoor - an entire hall of them in fact. This was like an indoor market.

Lighting was vastly better than at the NEC, though we still needed our own lights on Harton Gill.

Floor - just as unforgiving as the NEC though at Eurospoor they laid carpet down the middle of the aisles.

Announcements - far fewer at Eurospoor, almost none in fact, which made a pleasant change from many exhibitions in the UK.

Catering - there was no exhibitors' catering at Eurospoor though there were two large catering points for the show in general. €10 for a large salad roll (very good), muffin and bottle of water. No decaf tea or coffee though. I think tea and coffee was around €2 to €2.25 for a small cup but I'm informed that the coffee was good quality.

Organisation - Eurospoor was good and much less officious than the NEC, though we did need photo passes and we had to sign for our chairs. No problems getting in and unloading or loading and getting away at the end. We were away within an hour and could probably have been away quicker if we had realised how quickly we could have brought the cars in after the show closed. However as we were staying Sunday night there was no rush. The organisers were helpful and pleasant.

Accommodation for exhibitors - at Warley we were in a decent hotel by the NEC and the crowds at breakfast time rather stick in the mind. At Eurospoor, our hotel was a small one in a nearby town (IJsselstein). The hotel was good and the exhibition paid for accommodation including breakfast and a three-course dinner each night. Set menu but first class every day. All we had to pay for were our drinks.

Layouts - there were a couple of other layouts from the UK but most were from The Netherlands or Germany plus at least one from France. In general, I think the best UK layouts have the edge in terms of overall look, including colours, stock weathering, track and use of different levels, though there were some good continental layouts and a good US one. I have also seen some excellent layouts from continental Europe at UK shows such as Warley. Harton Gill drew lots of comments for its appearance and use of levels.

For anyone interested in cusioned floor mats I had a look on the net and found some on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlocking-Fatigue-Flooring-48sqft-easimat/dp/B003E61OBQ

i ordered some which came in a couple of days and they're great so hope will help the old feet over w/e

Take a look, cost 24-99 + 5-00 postage

Cheers

Ian

'Haymarket Cross'

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, apart from meeting up with some of the "the usual suspects", I hope to meet some new faces at the meeting. Will it be at the centre exhibit at 13:00 like last year?

iD

It was in the Wetherspoons just upstairs from the exhibition hall last year, at least on the Sunday. Unless someone has a better idea I suggest we do that again.

Chris

Hello

I will be there with Brixworth Station along with Nobby and Richard from the Wrecking Crew. . Please say hello if you are passing.

Cheers

George

We, the East Riding Fine Scale Group, will be in attendance with "Hospital Gates". We are having to loan out one of our finest operators, "Tappa" to assist your man "Mr. Tailgate" with his latest. I wonder if Jeff will be able to claim attendance allowance for him? :protest: :boast: :sungum:

ChrisF: I'm in agreement about a meet on the Sunday at the Wetherspoons in the foyer; see you, iL Dottore and the other 'usual suspects' there!

Re breakfasts, iL Dottore, the Wetherspoons at the airport is not bad but you may want to check the serving temperature before eating; when I was there on our stand in 2010, I suspect that, although they'd put all the right components on the plate, they'd used the microwave to extract, rather than provide, heat from / to it!

We, the East Riding Fine Scale Group, will be in attendance with "Hospital Gates". We are having to loan out one of our finest operators, "Tappa" to assist your man "Mr. Tailgate" with his latest. I wonder if Jeff will be able to claim attendance allowance for him? :protest: :boast: :sungum:

Does that mean you want a substitute then? :secret: :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Hello

In these straitened times I think that is very unlikely John. We have tried to get carers allowance but to no avail. Charity as they say begins at home so we will just have keep looking after him. Jeff will get his reward in heaven, I doubt he will get it at Warley.

I believe the carer's allowance should go to Nobby.........

Cheers,

Mick

ChrisF: I'm in agreement about a meet on the Sunday at the Wetherspoons in the foyer; see you, iL Dottore and the other 'usual suspects' there!

I'll third that as a sensible arrangement and register my commitment to disappear from the BRM stand and pop up for a drink at 13.00 on Saturday and Sunday. :)

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants to have a go at weathering their own stock ( or even bits of kit from me) i will be giving "hands on" demos of weathering at Warley. Please say hello. Apologies I won't be able to get to a meet up though as the demonstrators are tied to their tables only let loose to get food or go to the loo!

Barry Oliver

I'll third that as a sensible arrangement and register my commitment to disappear from the BRM stand and pop up for a drink at 13.00 on Saturday and Sunday. :)

Given your description as 'RmWeb/Modelling Inspirations Editor', they should be kicking you off the stand at 12:58 each day anyway!!!! ;))

See you there before I go to 'work'!!

• RMweb Gold

If anyone wants to have a go at weathering their own stock ( or even bits of kit from me) i will be giving "hands on" demos of weathering at Warley. Please say hello. Apologies I won't be able to get to a meet up though as the demonstrators are tied to their tables only let loose to get food or go to the loo!

Barry Oliver

Wetherspoons serve food and if you don't happen to buy any we won't tell on you ;)

• RMweb Premium

Wetherspoons serve food and if you don't happen to buy any we won't tell on you ;)

As a demonstrator getting anywhere for food is pretty hard - I did manage a Wetherspoons breakfast last year ...

Archived