Warley 2012

bbishop

In my case, directions are one thing I won't need - I was in Hall 5 very recently. However, a hall plan is likely to be very useful.

As for a name badge - or a lanyard - I shouldn't have much difficulty finding them. This makes a change from trade shows, where I prefer to keep the things available but out of sight.

Actually, this isn't quite as mad as it might sound. When I go to trade shows, they're likely to be related to electrical engineering, electronics or instrumentation - and I'm likely to be there for seminars (for which badges often get "zapped" by someone with a barcode reader). I've got no problem with this.

Also present at some trade shows are a small number of over-enthusiastic salesmen - who can be seen patrolling the aisles near their companies' stands, in much the same way as great whites are reputed to patrol some coastlines. These guys have never met me before - but this doesn't stop them marching straight up to me, grinning inanely and with their right arms outstretched, then launching into some "in-your-face" spiel along the lines of: "Hi, Huw - I'm ****** - I'm from *****@@**##*** company - and I can do you a great deal on ..."

Keeping my badge out of sight kills this nonsense stone dead. It also stops these guys "zapping" my badge and sending me a "rainforest and a half" of unwanted junkmail. Well, that's my excuse - and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I'm happy to talk to some companies at shows - just not these ones, that's all.

As for me wearing a badge at "meet-ups" for RMweb (or any other e-groups, for that matter), I wonder how many people would actually want to know me. After all, some people already think there's something sinister about me (or should that be sinistral - I never did Latin at school - anyway, I always thought left-handedness was a family trait).

Whatever the score, I think I've said enough for now. I'm just looking forward to Saturday.

Huw.

You can always buck the system. Too many years ago, my employer of the day provided everyone with an ID badge. At first no-one seemed to be wearing them but an edict was issued to the effect "all badges will be worn at all times!" We noted that nothing was said about who's badge you had to wear and, well you can guess the rest. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

For people like me who spend half their time at the show staring at the floor plan and wondering where the heck they are and what they're looking at, I've re-sorted the stand list in order of stand no. rather than exhibitor name. Attached with Andy's blessing are pdfs formatted for printing to one and two A4 pages (the former likely to be suitable only for Jerry and his 2mm colleagues).

Edited to disclaim: info taken from the floor plan as available online yesterday with no guarantee of accuracy on the day. Enjoy :D

Warley2012_2_page.pdf

Warley2012_1_page_5.pdf

• RMweb Premium

For people like me who spend half their time at the show staring at the floor plan and wondering where the heck they are and what they're looking at, I've re-sorted the stand list in order of stand no. rather than exhibitor name. Attached with Andy's blessing are pdfs formatted for printing to one and two A4 pages (the former likely to be suitable only for Jerry and his 2mm colleagues).

Edited to disclaim: info taken from the floor plan as available online yesterday with no guarantee of accuracy on the day. Enjoy :D

You're a 'Saint' (in GWR eyes, anyway) - I had just printed out the official list and GULPED.

Thanks a million (Stars)

Happy, now :thankyou:

PS. Warley Toad, limited edition wagon now graces my Desktop. Nice one. Will have to look you up Barry0 for some weathering lessons. :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do this - it's an excellent idea.

I haven't had chance to look at this stuff yet - but I'm sure it'll come in very useful.

You can always buck the system. Too many years ago, my employer of the day provided everyone with an ID badge. At first no-one seemed to be wearing them but an edict was issued to the effect "all badges will be worn at all times!" We noted that nothing was said about who's badge you had to wear and, well you can guess the rest. :sungum:

I'm sure I can guess the rest.

In a sense, I can understand employers wanting anyone on their premises to carry ID, to make it easier to spot anyone who's got no legitimate purpose being there. After all, some employers have had problems with intruders finding their way into empty (and unlocked) offices and stealing property. Unfortunately, this stuff happens.

However, a number of people (me included) have never liked having to wear enormous badges with our names on them. I know who I am - people who need to know also know who I am - anyone else can whistle. The thing is that I value my privacy - and my personal space. I don't think I'm alone. in fact, I know I'm not alone - which might also explain why so many people have unlisted telephone numbers.

In my last post, I mentioned trade shows - a lot of which have "badges shall be worn at all times" clauses in their registration conditions.

Quite a few of these shows print their badges onto one side of a piece of cardboard - guess which side I'd be most likely to have facing out, if I've got one of these badges in a lanyard.

Some exhibition firms have now started using large stickers - in two halves, which are both printed with name and badge number, then folded and stuck back-to-back.

In theory, this means that I can't stop anyone "zapping" my badge. In practice, the badge ends up in a shirt pocket, under a coat, or in the outside pocket of a holdall. Either that, or the badge goes into a lanyard with a blank piece of card behind it - it then gets "flipped".

Clip-on badge holders are just as easy to defeat - how many company ID badges have you seen clipped to trouser belts, hidden from view by a jacket or pullover?

I have been challenged on a couple of occasions - but the show staff seem happy enough when I'm able to produce the badge straight away. My guess is that most of them are probably fed up of having to wear ID at all times: "I am not a number - I am a free man" and all that.

Huw.

I'm sure I can guess the rest.

It was decided shortly afterwards that the original badges were not very good and so a new system was installed to incorporate a swipe access. I noticed that the first cards to be issued showed the wearer to be looking to the left. When I went to have my picture taken it all became clear. The camera was linked to the card printer via a screen which was off to the left. Just about everyone was looking at that screen to see what they looked like. Fortunately I have a good memory for faces and I know what I look like. Look straight ahead was the order of the day and have that very slightest of a smile, the one that says "I know something you don't!" :happy_mini:

• RMweb Gold

An update from the SLS on what we are doing at Warley this year. We are there both days on stand E01. Aiming to have membership material (discount first year membership deal), some sample back issue Journals to tempt you, and NEW for Warley this year our Photograph Collection sales stand. Postcard size original prints of images from our Photograph Collection.

• RMweb Premium

Stafford Railway Circle have just published on there website a couple of pictures of Whiteacres the clubs replacement layout which will make its first appearance at Warley at the weekend (no pressure then)

This new layout replaces Littleton Parkway which made its final appearance at the 2011 Warley Exhibition and now is in our new clubrooms

Details and pictures of Whiteacreas can be found at www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk

Whiteacres will also be appearing at the Stafford Exhibition the first weekend in February 2013 full exhibition details can also be found on our website.

All the Stafford club are looking forward to the Warley weekend, even our members who will be supplying the barriers.

Come and say hello

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

We had a sofa next to the layout at the show we did last weekend - it was comfy to be in it between operating seesions - just wondering if one of our operators can get his sofa into his car for this weekend!!

Left it too late to order a blow up one online now!!!

Ian

I have been press ganged into helping a fellow member of the Cradley Heath MRC operate one of his layouts at the show on Saturday. Only if I can shift this Bl****y chest infection that forced itself on me over the weekend!

Anyway, you may find me on Stand E30 (Four Corners) It's an American H0 Gauge layout both Steam and Diesel with DCC sound.

A steep learning curve for me 'cos I am not familiar with DCC operation or American operating practise! Should be entertaining!

May well see a few of you there then ?

Cheers

Frank

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that it will also help the tabling team!!

• RMweb Premium

PS. Warley Toad, limited edition wagon now graces my Desktop. Nice one. Will have to look you up Barry0 for some weathering lessons. :laugh:

I am on stand E42..... opposite one of the restaurants"

• RMweb Premium

I have been press ganged into helping a fellow member of the Cradley Heath MRC operate one of his layouts at the show on Saturday. Only if I can shift this Bl****y chest infection that forced itself on me over the weekend!

Anyway, you may find me on Stand E30 (Four Corners) It's an American H0 Gauge layout both Steam and Diesel with DCC sound.

A steep learning curve for me 'cos I am not familiar with DCC operation or American operating practise! Should be entertaining!

May well see a few of you there then ?

Cheers

Frank

Hi Frank I will be in the same boat as the new Stafford Railway Circle layout Whiteacreas is DCC no problem with that but it is a Lenze system and I am used to Gaugemaster Prodigy system. but at least I will be familiar with the stock if not the layout think I will have to keep of the beer

See you at the weekend

Terry

Guys,

See you in the bar at 13:00pm on Saturday. You will see I now have an avatar, the station building for my new Spur Null layout by the name of Höchstädt. I'm collecting it from Kirtley Models, and thought it was coming back with me on the train. But luckily it's found a lift and will come down on the Sunday with Invergeachy.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Frank I will be in the same boat as the new Stafford Railway Circle layout Whiteacreas is DCC no problem with that but it is a Lenze system and I am used to Gaugemaster Prodigy system. but at least I will be familiar with the stock if not the layout think I will have to keep of the beer

See you at the weekend

Terry

Terry

Well if you want a play with sound and the Digitrax system together with Wi Throttle / Engine Driver then come on over to E23!

Ian

A tip for all those driving. The NEC are charging £10 for the pleasure of using their carpark, and that will involve a walk (or at least a queue for a bus) in the lovely autumn weather we are currently experiencing.

Alternatively park in the Birmingham International Station carpark (£5 per day at weekends) and take the covered walkway into the NEC. The show is in hall 5, which is one of the first halls you come to from the station.

Cheers

Sam

• RMweb Gold

Terry

Well if you want a play with sound and the Digitrax system together with Wi Throttle / Engine Driver then come on over to E23!

Ian

If I do manage to get my sofa into the car, come and relax on it while trying out your new goodies. ;-)

A tip for all those driving. The NEC are charging £10 for the pleasure of using their carpark, and that will involve a walk (or at least a queue for a bus) in the lovely autumn weather we are currently experiencing.

Alternatively park in the Birmingham International Station carpark (£5 per day at weekends) and take the covered walkway into the NEC. The show is in hall 5, which is one of the first halls you come to from the station.

Cheers

Sam

Thank you, Sam. I might just do that!

Chris

Cheers

Sam

I believe that the NEC are now charging for disabled - Blue Badge parking.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Sam Alternatively,live life as a sardine and travel by rail to the NEC

Cheers

Sam

Just a reminder that I posted earlier in the thread:

Canley station has free (or very cheap!) parking. Return fare is around a pound or less - I'm going from memory up to 2 yrs ago, but check on the National Rail website for accurate prices. I'm told though, that Tile Hill nearby might be better; there are more trains stopping there, though Canley has a regular service. Both situated on the west side of Coventry, I've always used Canley in previous years to save a lot of money - even more with a railcard!

Stewart

Archived