Warley 2012

bbishop

• RMweb Premium

As a demonstrator this year ( weathering....) I have to say that the breakfast rush shouldn't affect me(he says expecting it all to go upsey doo) Last year we made it just as we had enough operators to get by ( and two of them wandered off and got a butty elsewhere).

The NEC know how many to cater for - what they didn't do last year was the "lighter breakfast) Cereals and juice which didn't have a queue

Hi - hope you dont mind me joining in on this thread but I need some advice please.

I have been to the Warley show a few years back and drove up from Kent with some friends - this year they cant make it and so it makes no sense to take the car.

Having checked the National Rail web site I can get two singles ( there and back ) for £10.50 each - my only worry is its an offer where you have to make specific connections and not knowing the stations or underground network Im concerned about finding my way about in time. I would be arriving at St Pancras platform 11 from Strood then taking the Victoria underground line to Euston and then Virgin Trains up to Birmingham International.

Is St Pancras easy to find your way around ? is platform 11 near to the underground station ? Please forgive my ignorance - I would really like to go to the show but at the moment am in a flap about making the connections.

All advice gratefully received

Chris

• RMweb Gold

my recollection of my one trip to the warley was of total rail chaos trying to get off the site from Birmingham International. Couldn't even get on the platform. Then went to get a show bus back into town to find equal chaos there. Luckily I was staying with the outlaws in Birmingham so got home eventually but felt very sorry for anyone making a long trip trying to get their right train home

• RMweb Gold

Hi - hope you dont mind me joining in on this thread but I need some advice please.

I have been to the Warley show a few years back and drove up from Kent with some friends - this year they cant make it and so it makes no sense to take the car.

Having checked the National Rail web site I can get two singles ( there and back ) for £10.50 each - my only worry is its an offer where you have to make specific connections and not knowing the stations or underground network Im concerned about finding my way about in time. I would be arriving at St Pancras platform 11 from Strood then taking the Victoria underground line to Euston and then Virgin Trains up to Birmingham International.

Is St Pancras easy to find your way around ? is platform 11 near to the underground station ? Please forgive my ignorance - I would really like to go to the show but at the moment am in a flap about making the connections.

All advice gratefully received

Chris

Using the Victoria line or Northern line to Euston takes about 5 minutes if all goes well.

However, St Pancras International station is now a big place and its quite a walk from the surface to the underground platforms these days.

By the time you have walked down to the Victoria line or Northern line platforms then up to the surface at Euston at the other end, you might aswell walk up Euston Road if you are up to it and its not raining. Its about half a mile walk.

Ian

Just walk to the front of the station and out, looking back to see the amazing renovation ;) turn right onto Euston Road and then right pass the Fire Station and then go through the bus stops over on left of you to get to the concourse. Should take 10-15mins and as Roundhouse says quicker than getting Underground.

This may help

T.

Another tip for exhibitors who have not done Warley before is if you can, take some carpet or a rug for the floor in your operating space. The floor at the NEC is particularly bad to stand on for a full weekend, we have found that taking a bit of carpet helps the legs and knees through the weekend. Mind you last year certain people queried whether we had a sofa and a standard lamp in the back of the van as well. And be prepared for offialdom like you have never seen it before, especially if it is wearing a (peaked) hat. They could really teach the Indian Civil Service a thing or two.

Another tip for exhibitors who have not done Warley before is if you can, take some carpet or a rug for the floor in your operating space. The floor at the NEC is particularly bad to stand on for a full weekend, we have found that taking a bit of carpet helps the legs and knees through the weekend. Mind you last year certain people queried whether we had a sofa and a standard lamp in the back of the van as well. And be prepared for offialdom like you have never seen it before, especially if it is wearing a (peaked) hat. They could really teach the Indian Civil Service a thing or two.

Many thanks for the tip about the carpet, I will see if I can find a piece to bring when we attend. Although I have been to the Warley show a few times now this will be a first as an exhibitor. Each time I have visited I have enjoyed the wide range of layouts & trade but come away with a feeling that everything is geared to one thing MONEY! This is not against the Warley Model Railway Society but aimed squarely at the NEC. Everywhere you look there seems to be a uniform or official with a two way radio. As I said at the begining we are attending with two layouts & are looking forward to a great weekend, I just hope officialdom doesn't spoil it.

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

I have a rolled up carpet matt for using when I have to go under the layout for any fault finding.

However, as Phatbob from Cheshire is coming in his car, we should have his giant jigsaw like pieces of tough foam matt that interlock to form a comfy walkway behind the layout. he did tell me where he bought them but I cant remeber. I can ask him if others are interested. Its a dark grey / black so will blend in nicely with the hard floor at NEC!!

• RMweb Gold

I have a rolled up carpet matt for using when I have to go under the layout for any fault finding.

However, as Phatbob from Cheshire is coming in his car, we should have his giant jigsaw like pieces of tough foam matt that interlock to form a comfy walkway behind the layout. he did tell me where he bought them but I cant remeber. I can ask him if others are interested. Its a dark grey / black so will blend in nicely with the hard floor at NEC!!

they can be bought from bid up tv, where I got mine

• RMweb Gold

we should have his giant jigsaw like pieces of tough foam matt that interlock to form a comfy walkway behind the layout. he did tell me where he bought them but I cant remeber.

Argos sell it in the fitness section and Maplins sell it too, I've also seen a very bright multicolour version in Toys R Us, . . . . . I was doing research ;)

We take comfy folding chairs, did consider an inflatable sofa but someone was bound to wave the soldering iron too near!

• RMweb Gold

I got mine from Aldi, as one of their special purcahse bargains. As already posted, they're available elsewhere, but at a higher price.

I suppose given the talk of where to get suitable "foot easing" for Warley I should mention that its par for the course that behind New Hey we have a roll of ###### pile off cut sourced from Vulcan's place!

Edit: will shagpile work?

Edit 2: yes it will, more than one way to skin a cat.

London Midland are doing some good deals that weekend Leighton Buzzard Brum return £10 50 better journey than on a Pendo ,looking forward to the show and a certain person demoing weathering with a standard lamp for illumination.Suggest a look at LM website for travel onwards from Euston.

London Midland are doing some good deals that weekend Leighton Buzzard Brum return £10 50 better journey than on a Pendo ,looking forward to the show and a certain person demoing weathering with a standard lamp for illumination.Suggest a look at LM website for travel onwards from Euston.

You can get £15 return with Virgin from Euston still for Saturday, not tried Sunday.

• RMweb Premium

When we exhibited at Warley two years ago, one of my operators donated a length of soft springy carpet underfelt to stand on; probably better for the job than just carpet.

We'll be there with my older layout this time, and looking forward to it.

As this seems to have become the "official" thread on Warley, please could the original poster now change the sub-title of the thread?

Should be a great show,

Dave.

The East Riding Finescale Group will be at Warley with "Hospital Gates". After surviving the breakfast stampede last year, with "Meopham East Junction", we have resolved to have the layout all ready for opening time each evening before we leave. That would be track cleaned and stock in place. The only thing to do each morning would be to remove the covers and switch on. That is the plan but "the best plans of man and beast gang awar" or words to that effect. See you there? :friends:

• RMweb Premium

The East Riding Finescale Group will be at Warley with "Hospital Gates"

Great, hoping to have a good look at that layout; admired the photos but never actually seen it.

After surviving the breakfast stampede last year, with "Meopham East Junction", we have resolved to have the layout all ready for opening time each evening before we leave. That would be track cleaned and stock in place. The only thing to do each morning would be to remove the covers and switch on.

Nice idea, but not sure how well it will work in practice. I will run it past my team. Depends how far away the accomodation is, and how long before you get a shower/beer/meal.

See you there?

Definitely.

Dave.T

When I have exhibited at Aly Paly a carpet is a good iea. And they too seemingly have ex members of Gestapo/Stasi in peaked caps., and on one occaision non existent signs to tell the public not to use certain car park spaces. I was ordered in abrupt terms to move. I did so having suggested robustly that the old case of Chappleton v Barry UDC came to mind.

I have advance tickets on nominated trains from/to Watford at £7.5 each way - very good value. And no more than the first time I went to Warley c 1993.

I only go every 3 years or so. looking forward to a good day - and collecting my N Society Inspection Saloon.

Maplins - http://www.maplin.co...oor-mats-217645 - bought some for work couple of weeks back - they feel fine so far.

Provided you are standing or sitting directly on them, they will be fine ! Just don't use with a chair, or even with that hard clear plastic mat under the chair... the mats expand with the heat generated and they don't go back into shape. Particularly awkward where a fitted floor is needed.

• RMweb Gold

Provided you are standing or sitting directly on them, they will be fine ! Just don't use with a chair, or even with that hard clear plastic mat under the chair... the mats expand with the heat generated and they don't go back into shape. Particularly awkward where a fitted floor is needed.

We had our stools on Phatbobs mats at TINGS. They seemed to be Ok afterwards, but he was Ok with putting stools on them anyway!

Archived