Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

... it's looks like your luggage is too heavy ...

Yes, we get the joke, but it's not about being too heavy for the plane. It's about being too heavy to lift safely into the overhead without being dropped on someone's head. I've seen that happen. It's not pretty.

I do get frustrated with airlines that rigorously police carry on baggage "rules" down to 500g. (Lufthansa.) I certainly prefer that the "rules" would be considered guidelines based on what a person can reasonably carry and lift.

Having said that, as a relatively frequent flyer the number of passengers who carry on luggage that they cannot possibly lift by themselves or carry safely down the aisle is pretty high.

There needs to be a special time out corner for people who carry on the following:

• When the limit is a bag and a personal item, manage to have (on various appendages), no less than a 22" roller, a back pack, a purse, a tote, a shopping bag, coffee, bag of food, and of course a phone
  • Bags that are heavier than they can lift
  • 22" bags that in theory will fit but have every external zipper pouch stuffed to overflowing and consequently don't fit
  • Bags that simply won't fit in any overhead known to aviation
  • Shoulder bags that hit everyone as they walk down the aisles
  • Anything (pastries excepted) in a cardboard box
  • Bags that won't fit under the seat when they are too short to reach the overhead (of course when young and female they inevitably get a pass by smiling and sweetly asking "can you help me with this sir?")
  • Plastic shopping bags of spirits (I once took off from Cancun with rum dripping from the overhead. Now I like the smell of rum and it was entertaining, but really broken glass and sticky rum in the overhead is a bit much.)
Edited by Ozexpatriate

Woke up this morning,the sun was shining and the temperature just right for slobbing around all day in shorts and sandals. That'll do nicely.  :-)

...Bags that are heavier than they can lift...

I still believe that a suggestion I made near thirty years ago should be implemented. The security X ray hand baggage conveyor has an entry portal sized to over head baggage bin dimension and is disposed with its bottom edge about 1800mm above the floor. If the passenger cannot unassisted place their bag on the conveyor then it goes into the hold. That'll fix it. (This was tangential to what were really doing, which was trying to persuade the airline industry of the merits of a fully integrated RFID ticketing and baggage management solution. Sadly the industry conclusion was that despite the vast superiority of what was potentially on offer, the investment in the roll out of the optical barcode system still in use today precluded a change of horse.)

Back on a railway theme, I just rediscovered this photo I took in about 1983. Thought I'd posted it before, but can't immediately see it.

With state-of-the-art computer gaming graphics:

post-6971-0-28799200-1469293024.jpg

"Do not feed the pigeons"

Possibly Chatham or Rochester.

• Like 6

attachicon.gifSheffield_-_Lady's_Bridge.jpg

Tim's been listening to "Clue" again ...

It's been said before, but "the object is not in the metal box", or   't i'n't in 'tin

I think the apostrophes are correct - we're missing the first I of "it", the S of "is, the O of "not" and the "the" before "tin", which has become a glottal stop.

• Like 2

It's been said before, but "the object is not in the metal box", or   't i'n't in 'tin

I think the apostrophes are correct - we're missing the first I of "it", the S of "is, the O of "not" and the "the" before "tin", which has become a glottal stop.

Kinell, this isn't about apostrophes, it's my life. Inreigghtsheffeldishthesnocommasandspacesthanooersthesjuswotthawantstosehtektheglocklestopanshuvitweertsunduntshine.

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Inreigghtsheffeldishthesnocommasandspacesthanooersthesjuswotthawantstosehtektheglocklestopanshuvitweertsunduntshine.

Spell checker fail.

Cheers,

Mick