RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I once got caught speeding in my mother's 1100cc Allegro....

RESPECT!  Anyone driving a car with a square steering wheel over 30 MPH must had had balls of steel and a proportionately thick scr*tum to carry them.

post-508-0-27490000-1473527789_thumb.jpg

Must admit to once having a strange desire to buy one of the estate versions to use as a Q car.

P

• RMweb Gold

That must have been down hill then

As a youth I was once in a 2CV that was stopped by the police for speeding ( we had been slip streaming behind a coach on the motorway).

The policeman told us " I'll let you off with a warning, I don't want to look like an idiot" 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I once passed an Allegro on the A74, then I was passed by a bit of an Allegro, one of its front wheels went went bouncing down the road past me as we slowed for traffic.

( The old Austin 1100 had its bearings set to about 148 lbs, the allegro was finger tight. The mechanics in the early days of the allegro assumed it was the same as the 1100, with disastrous consequences.)

I once passed an Allegro on the A74, then I was passed by a bit of an Allegro, one of its front wheels went went bouncing down the road past me as we slowed for traffic.

( The old Austin 1100 had its bearings set to about 148 lbs, the allegro was finger tight. The mechanics in the early days of the allegro assumed it was the same as the 1100, with disastrous consequences.)

I went from a Morris 1300 to an Allegro 1750 Sport, and did all my own maintenance, but never managed to lose a wheel :).

• Like 1