Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Some fightin' words there Jol.

Rather, "beer is a traditional Mesopotamian alcoholic drink, adopted and experimented with in mostly European countries perhaps for about 70 centuries."

Lagering was almost certainly invented in Germany - or at least the word is Bavarian in origin, meaning "to store".  In 1842 a Bavarian brewer brought his lager recipe to Plzen (where they had been making some kind of beer since the 11th century) and thus was Pilsner created.  It is largely Germans who brought lagers to places like the US, China and Australia where lagers are the ubiquitous 'beer'.

Interestingly wine is apparently Georgian in origin. I recently tried a Georgian wine. Apparently they gave up experimenting to make it better a long while ago.

Thanks for that, there was me thinking lager was German for weasel p!ss.

Mike.

Some fightin' words there Jol.

Rather, "beer is a traditional Mesopotamian alcoholic drink, adopted and experimented with in mostly European countries perhaps for about 70 centuries."

Lagering was almost certainly invented in Germany - or at least the word is Bavarian in origin, meaning "to store".  In 1842 a Bavarian brewer brought his lager recipe to Plzen (where they had been making some kind of beer since the 11th century) and thus was Pilsner created.  It is largely Germans who brought lagers to places like the US, China and Australia where lagers are the ubiquitous 'beer'.

Interestingly wine is apparently Georgian in origin. I recently tried a Georgian wine. Apparently they gave up experimenting to make it better a long while ago.

I stand corrected.

I commend to anyone interested in beer and pubs the books by Pete Brown, including "Man walks into pub", "Three sheets to the wind" and "Shakespeare's Local".

Two Christmasses ago my daughter gave me a real version of this with a different weissbier for each of the 25 days. It took me longer than December to drink them all...

steve

But Altbier and Kölsch from Köln and Düsseldorf are true "English" beers, brewed in the same way as "our" beers, i.e top fermented.  The problem is that advertising the likes of Stella Artois, "Bud" and similar horses' No 1 extract has made them cult beers in the same way as Watneys Red Barrel was in my younger days.

I remember way back when "keg" beers were introduced and we paid an extra penny a pint to have sterilised beer pumped up with gas from a cylinder.  How sad that was looking back.

Stan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am the 'envy'* of other people when I go to a pub or restaurant and they ask me what I want to drink - as I can't take too much in the way of alcohol, I always ask for a lager, normally Fosters, or Stella if available. The indignant responses from my friends when they realise they have to ask for it really makes me laugh :lol:

* I have a feeling this might not be the word most people would use :wink_mini:

• Like 1

The following is the ultimate irony in 'beer purity'.

It was in recent heavy rotation on US television. This is 'judo' advertising - attempt to turn your liability into a strength.

"Four essential ingredients", and how many non-essential?

• RMweb Gold

... hass made them cult beers in the same way as Watneys Red Barrel was in my younger days.

I remember way back when the people responsible for Watney's Red Barrel reassured the assembled hacks that carbon dioxide does not dissolve in water. I was still in full-time education at that time, mainly maths but also physics and chemistry, so I knew that what they said was wrong, and it was easy for me to look up the physics to prove that they were so wrong. Carbon dioxide is most definitely soluble in water; indeed the stuff those persons put in their scotch was basically a solution of carbon dioxide in water. It was that statement that led me to describe keg beer as "soda beer", and to explain that term as the similarity of the relationship between the taste of keg beer and real beer to the relationship between the taste of soda water to tap water.