The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

In Birmingham:-

d35b00ff9c1ff670b9da0b3a02537653.jpg

The trafficator lights amidships must be a Brummie requirement, as I don't remember them on London cabs and have just done a quick search and not found any others elsewhere. Perhaps they wanted to have a specific signal for 'I am doing a 'U' turn in the middle of a busy street.' Perhaps they were for indicating that the taxi was available for hire, as one can only see the illuminated 'TAXI' sign from the front. I'll bet there's a RMweb member who knows the answers.

Edited by phil_sutters

The trafficator lights amidships must be a Brummie requirement, as I don't remember them on London cabs and have just done a quick search and not found any others elsewhere. Perhaps they wanted to have a specific signal for 'I am doing a 'U' turn in the middle of a busy street.'

Cabbies don't signal!

Those Mickey Mouse ear trafficators were common in the 1960s.  They were a simple to fix replacement for the solenoid operated finger-shaped pointers previously used as an alternative to the hand signals we were taught to give (via open offside windows) when folk of my vintage learned to drive in the 1960s.  I fitted some to my 1934 Austin Seven, for example, and they were definitely not limited to taxis.

Stan

The trafficator lights amidships must be a Brummie requirement, as I don't remember them on London cabs and have just done a quick search and not found any others elsewhere. Perhaps they wanted to have a specific signal for 'I am doing a 'U' turn in the middle of a busy street.' Perhaps they were for indicating that the taxi was available for hire, as one can only see the illuminated 'TAXI' sign from the front. I'll bet there's a RMweb member who knows the answers.

• RMweb Premium

Thought that this might amuse you.   Seen on Niort station in western France.

attachicon.gifPB093738.JPG

It's a pun on the sign that's seen at most level crossing in France which reads "Un train peut en cacher un autre" literally one train can follow another.

Jamie

Isn't it "One train my hide another"?

Those Mickey Mouse ear trafficators were common in the 1960s.  They were a simple to fix replacement for the solenoid operated finger-shaped pointers previously used as an alternative to the hand signals we were taught to give (via open offside windows) when folk of my vintage learned to drive in the 1960s.  I fitted some to my 1934 Austin Seven, for example, and they were definitely not limited to taxis.

Stan

Even learning in the 70s I had to know. For my motorcycle test in mid 70s I failed first time for not using indicators and hand signals at the same time.