RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Is that why so many Americans* are huge?

* Specifically Americans, cos of their gun culture, so they need protection. Although I doubt whether even 5 inches of fat would make the slightest difference.

It wouldn't. Americans often pooh-pooh the 9mm round as lacking power. It has more than enough power to wreck a human body of any size. The reason for the development of the '45 was the Spanish-American War when US servicemen were fighting in the Phillipines and the '38 revolvers in use wouldn't instantly stop a charging native, allowing some to kill or injure servicemen before the native died from the trauma of several '38 wounds. Of course if the rounds are put in the right places, the difference between '38 cal/9mm and larger rounds is not particularly significant. The American Defense establishment had a different opinion.  

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/8560142-4-important-factors-in-the-9mm-pistol-debate/ has some figures about half way down - gelatine is often used to simulate flesh. It quotes 14" penetration. So some aren't too far off being fully armoured ... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, unravelled said:

Seen at my local station.

DSC00860.JPG.ac8aea637a73b24193b8690794fcfbe9.JPG

The only problem is that it's a 12 car platform, and Overground trains are only 5 car.

Dave

We get ones like that telling us to use the full length of the train to board. Then a 153 turns up.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The American language puzzles me at times .  at present a chap called Harvey Weinstein is once agin in the news - and I make no comment one way or t'other about any allegations of impropriety etc.  But what puzzles me is  his (apparently) and the medias (definitely) inability to correctly pronounce his name.  Weinstein consists of two similarly constructed syllables and should therefore both be pronounced in the same way, as in the Germanic language from which  they are seemingly drawn.  Thus to me Ween-steen would make sense even if it is not the correct pronunciation of 'wine-stine'.

So why on earth has he got two different pronunciations of two similarly constructed syllables?  To me, irrespective of other allegations, his definite crime seems to be an inability to correctly pronounce his own name 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I have just checked my e-mails and there is one from Booking.com for Bristol hotels and as we might need to go in the near future I thought it might be worth a look and this was top of the list:-

Premier Inn Cribbs Causeway

3-star hotel

Bristol Show on map 5 miles from center

This property is sold out on our site for your dates: Thu, Aug 29, 2019 - Fri, Aug 30, 2019 (1 night)

These dates are still available, but might sell out:

Aug 28 – Aug 29 1 night, Wed – Thu

The photo is somewhat out of date! 

Brian

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, 88C said:

I have just checked my e-mails and there is one from Booking.com for Bristol hotels and as we might need to go in the near future I thought it might be worth a look and this was top of the list:-

3-star hotel

This property is sold out on our site for your dates: Thu, Aug 29, 2019 - Fri, Aug 30, 2019 (1 night)

Brian

I recently checked on a website for details of the Warley bash at the NEC, apparently the 6 closest hotels are in London!

Mike.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 88C said:

3-star hotel

Brian

Probably not a great place to stay at the moment as it was recently reduced to a pile of ashes. At least the ashes have finally stopped smoking. I believe that there were no casualties.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/live-premier-inn-fire-cribbs-3102028

I wonder what lessons are being drawn from the flammable nature of lego design hotels of this kind?

Best wishes

Eric  

• RMweb Gold

We have used this hotel several times over the past few years, the last time in March, because it is, or was, handy for visiting my aunt so watching footage of the fire had more impact than any other fire.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 16:38, Enterprisingwestern said:

I recently checked on a website for details of the Warley bash at the NEC, apparently the 6 closest hotels are in London!

Mike.

I Had to go do a weeks work at RAF Leuchars, the Open was on at St Andrews... the nearest available hotel.... 53 miles away...

• Friendly/supportive 1