Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

I've always had a strange ambition to smash a vinyl record but I value them too much to do it. Going through my dad's collection I found the perfect candidate. 

20210123_190905.jpg.438279e673c7eddb327e035c92b19a29.jpg

So what is on side one??? :biggrin_mini:

27 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

So what is on side one??? :biggrin_mini:

https://www.discogs.com/Rolf-Harris-The-Best-Of-Rolf-Harris/release/1982835

There used to be a trick of making fruit bowls and such from records by putting them in the oven. A trick that used to happen when staying over at a party and the host was playing rubbish music.

Host would wake up and find his beloved Simply Red album had been turned into a jelly mould.

Please don't put them in the oven as your wife/mother/whatever will kill you....

And check the value of the record. Some are obviously worth a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They're bringing back APTs....  :prankster:

_110703927_2f9956bc-4553-4f18-a0a7-efa10

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55770529

Typical example of the editorial ignorance at BBC News. Amazed they did not illustrate the article with one of their usual pictures of young women flouncing about in fancy face masks which they seem to use for almost anything these days.

John

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That reminded me that just before the virus struck here last March (2020), I found a few 45s in a thrift shop that I have been looking for; one for many, many years (50+): Island in the Sun/Harry Belafonte; oddly, it is a UK pressing! Some of the others are:

Promised Land/Elvis Presley,

Ride, Captain, Ride/Blues Image,

Take Me Home, Country Roads/John Denver,

Talk Back Trembling Lips/Johnny Tillotson, 

Sundown/Gordon Lightfoot,

My Boomerang Won't Come Back/Charlie Drake,

Another Saturday Night/Cat Stevens,

Afternoon Delight/Starland Vocal Band,

Convoy/C. W. McCall.

I had left the Island record in the car (I was quite young and did not know any better); it took more than fifty years to find a replacement 45; note that I still have the warped one, too!. The rest of the above are ones that I like and took the opportunity to get them.

Now the really odd thing about that purchase: I was sitting on the floor (on a cushion, btw) digging through boxes of LPs and saw the 45s over on the side and first thought "Ah, not worth it, why waste time." I changed my mind when I was done crate-digging; "I am already here, I am on the floor anyway so "What the hay". I am so glad that I did and the hunt was over.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

https://www.discogs.com/Rolf-Harris-The-Best-Of-Rolf-Harris/release/1982835

There used to be a trick of making fruit bowls and such from records by putting them in the oven. A trick that used to happen when staying over at a party and the host was playing rubbish music.

Host would wake up and find his beloved Simply Red album had been turned into a jelly mould.

Please don't put them in the oven as your wife/mother/whatever will kill you....

Never seen it done with a vinyl lp, but it used to be a well known technique for repurposing shellac 78rpm records.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, steve1 said:

A birthday pressie from daughter, one of two "bowls". This one is Come And Get It by Whitesnake. The othe is Who Are You by The Who. 

steve

image.jpg

You could mount them on old tripods and turn them into uplighters....

Yep. This was late 1980s or early 1990s.

We wouldn't have done it with decent albums or with someone's family stuff. Just when you ended up at a party and the host had bad taste in music and you find something like Simply Red or Bros in his collection when he pretends he's into whatever is cool at the time....

"So you're into Guns N Roses? Why have you got Jive Bunny records?"  :jester:

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, JJGraphics said:

Typical example of the editorial ignorance at BBC News. Amazed they did not illustrate the article with one of their usual pictures of young women flouncing about in fancy face masks which they seem to use for almost anything these days.

John

Look at the photo credit in the original and it was Network Rail!

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, steve1 said:

Don’t know about that but they are guilty of crimes against music.

steve

Quite how you can equate purveyors of bad music with someone like R Harris escapes me:scratchhead:

AFAIAC they are not even in the same league.:no:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On a miserable day of snow and cold I found this while deleting some old email files, it might raise a smile or two.

THINGS TO PONDER
- Can you cry under water?
- How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
- Why do you have to "put in your two cents worth", but it's only a "penny.for your thoughts"?

Where's that extra penny going?
- Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
- What disease did cured ham actually have?
- How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?
- Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up  every two hours?
- If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?
  Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?
- Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?
- Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.
- Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?
- Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crispy black, which no human being will eat?
  Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?
- If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?
- Why do people point to their wrist when asking the time, but don't point to their crotch when asking where the bathroom is?
- Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!
- If Wyle E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME rubbish, why didn't he just buy dinner?
- If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
- If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
- Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?
- Why did you just try singing the two songs above?
- Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but call it a haemorrhoid when it's in your a**e?
- Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride; he sticks his head out the window?

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6