RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I am reading "In and around Heybridge in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries" by Beryl Claydon, from which I quote a passage which just won't go away:

Night soil was collected in Heybridge in the 1950s; the author remembers hastily winding up her car windows when she saw the night soil cart along Holloway Road. The vehicle was known, colloquially, as ‘the last bus’, others knew it as the ‘Lavender Wagon’ or ‘the night soilers. The story goes that Mr Ruggles and Mr Pennick were collecting in their handcart when one of them put his arms into the tank. His colleague asked, “What are you doing?” The reply was that his coat had fallen into the tank. “You will not be able to wear it”. He responded: “No, but my sandwiches are in the pocket”. They used to put their jackets over the back of the tank to sit on when eating their sandwiches in the lay-by in Goldhanger Lane.

- Richard.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

ORDOR YOUR XMAS HAMPSTER HERE

Raises many questions. How many hamsters does one serve per person for Christmas?

Can anyone make out the scrawl at the bottom? I see:

??AM F.F.FETCH YER CLOTH

Which I cannot interpret.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

can anyone make out the scrawl at the bottom? I see:

Which I cannot interpret.

If only it was, "G-G-Granville f-f-fetch a cloth will ya", we'd know it was Arkwright ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
f-f-
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1