The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Was disappointed, some years ago when building my summer house and workshop, to find it was cheaper to buy the nails in little packets from B&Q than my local builders merchants loose. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, fulton said:

Was disappointed, some years ago when building my summer house and workshop, to find it was cheaper to buy the nails in little packets from B&Q than my local builders merchants loose. 

Didn’t they use to sell nails by the pint? I may be making this up, as Google seems to want to send me for a manicure and varnish session when I search, but I’m sure they used to. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

39 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

sarah.jpg.1a24ee9f6b1925e548a44ce00952e8e6.jpg

I expect that the counterpoised masses on the woman in the foreground help keep her upright, though she still seems to require a pole to assist her stability....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

And these days the packaging costs more than the item.

However if you go to this place, you will find things sold loose by quantity or weight (nails, screws, etc.)

image.png.f7d053b03889ba882584a535ad2f9c58.png

It's in Kendal and I make a Bee line for it whenever I'm there.

It was the go to place for hardware when we lived in Keswick.

Firns in Cockemouth was the same but it succombed during Covid.

Here in Mid-Durham we have 2 excellent hardware emporiums, selling everything from loose nails to fire grates and god knows what else. Added bonus of the fully equipped joiners shop behind Coxhoe Timber, where I can get Ikea table tops cut down to size for baseboards.

Long may they survive.

download(2).jpeg.a3f3340ab3ea3a2bc4d4ffb50c570606.jpeg

24038452.jpg.887fb0bcac0ddd709ef3e4cd92f0950e.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes wonder whether Elisabeth Beresford was travelling in the same coach as me on a Southampton - Waterloo train in the early summer of 1968.  I was with my then girlfriend and was inspired while passing through Wimbledon to speculate about a place-name association with Wembley, that was related to a secret underground community that lived in tunnels between the two places, called the Wimbles.  Furry rodents and litter collection weren't involved though.  When the Wombles TV show started (1973) I recalled the conversation and discovered the first book had been published in 1968.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I sometimes wonder whether Elisabeth Beresford was travelling in the same coach as me on a Southampton - Waterloo train in the early summer of 1968.  I was with my then girlfriend and was inspired while passing through Wimbledon to speculate about a place-name association with Wembley, that was related to a secret underground community that lived in tunnels between the two places, called the Wimbles.  Furry rodents and litter collection weren't involved though.  When the Wombles TV show started (1973) I recalled the conversation and discovered the first book had been published in 1968.

I always reckoned that Terry Pratchett was basing his characters on people he bumped into in pubs. Some of them do seem familiar and I did meet him a few times in a Rock pub in Liverpool. He did seem to be taking notes.

So maybe ones of those characters is based on me!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My local could have easily furnished CMOT Dibbler, Detritus, The Librarian, Nanny Ogg, Cohen the Barbarian, Susan, and, serving behind the bar, DEATH.  I identify as Rincewind, failed useless wizard and abject coward…

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

My local could have easily furnished CMOT Dibbler, Detritus, The Librarian, Nanny Ogg, Cohen the Barbarian, Susan, and, serving behind the bar, DEATH.  I identify as Rincewind, failed useless wizard and abject coward…

Who rode in, not on a horse, but driving a small yellow locomotive........ Oh, if only..

IMG_3631.JPG.059152055fdb6a55dd178edb3496c1f3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 97406 said:

Didn’t they use to sell nails by the pint?

Nails were usually sold by the pound.

Often using a greengrocer's type scale, so they could tip them in a bag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1