The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

Ummm...

Tiree.png.91bb7f48f2ddd99fdcd779fcea81530d.png

Tiree, being in the warm Gulf Stream, is famous for the all-year-round swimming and sea sports. The gently-rolling North Atlantic winter waves bring a cleansing therapeutic ambiance that is widely-admired, and the quality of the high-speed transport links are often remarked upon.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Tiree, being in the warm Gulf Stream, is famous for the all-year-round swimming and sea sports. The gently-rolling North Atlantic winter waves bring a cleansing therapeutic ambiance that is widely-admired, and the quality of the high-speed transport links are often remarked upon.

But it does say this, so not cold in winter! I'm not convinced.

The Isle of Tiree is located in the Gulf Stream, which means that it very rarely drops below freezing. Average daytime temperatures in winter drop to about 8 degrees and at night to about 4 . So no need to bring an arctic coat! Bringing a hat is a good idea. Even better, buy a local woolly.

• Like 4

Written by ChatCPT.

[Scene: A train station. Ronnie Corbett, the traveller, approaches the ticket counter where Ronnie Barker, the ticket seller, is waiting.]

Ronnie Corbett: Good morning.

Ronnie Barker: Good morning, sir. How can I help you?

Ronnie Corbett: Well, you see, I'm in need of a train ticket to Puddlecombe.

Ronnie Barker: Puddlecombe? That's the place with the charming little tea shop, isn't it?

Ronnie Corbett: That's the one! Best scones in the county. 

Ronnie Barker: Very well, sir. Now, would you like a one way ticket, a return ticket, or a ticket to the moon and back?

Ronnie Corbett: To the moon and back? I didn't know British Rail had expanded its services that far.

Ronnie Barker: Just a touch of whimsy, sir. Stick with a return ticket, practical and down-to-earth.

Ronnie Corbett: Return it is, then.

Ronnie Barker: Wise choice, sir. Now, the departure time. We have trains leaving every hour, on the hour, or you can wait for the one that departs fashionably late.

Ronnie Corbett: I don't want to appear too eager. I'll take the one that allows me to make a dramatic entrance.

Ronnie Barker: Fashionably late then. Now, what class would you like?

Ronnie Corbett: What classes do you have?

Ronnie Barker: Well British Rail has expanded its comfort offerings in that area, sir. We’ve got first class, standard class, high class, middle class, working class, no class, morning class, evening class, art class, ‘ard class, business class, none of your business class and the class where you hope the window opens on a hot day.

Ronnie Corbett: I'll go for standard class and I'll bring my own fan, just in case.

Ronnie Barker: Excellent choice, sir. Now, any additional services? Travel insurance, a complimentary cup of tea, or perhaps a serenade from the train conductor?

Ronnie Corbett: A serenade, you say? Well, as long as it's not too off-key. I'll pass on the travel insurance and the tea. I’ll have tea with those wonderful scones.

Ronnie Barker: Very well, sir. Let me just calculate the cost. Return, fashionably late, standard class and serenade. That will be £900, sir.

Ronnie Corbett: £900? That’s outrageous! I could almost buy a car and drive to Puddlecombe for that much.

Ronnie Barker: I'm afraid it's the only fare available, sir. Top notch service comes at a price.

Ronnie Corbett: I just want to visit my cousin, not mortgage family heirlooms. But I don’t really have a choice, do I?

Ronnie Barker: Tell you what, sir. How about we throw in a complimentary deck of British Rail playing cards? It's practically a steal.

Ronnie Corbett: Oh very well.

Ronnie Barker: Thankyou kindly, sir. Anything else we can do for you?

Ronnie Corbett: You’re done more than enough already. Now which platform for my train?

Ronnie Barker: Platform, sir?

Ronnie Corbett: Yes. From which platform does my train depart?

Ronnie Barker: Oh, no trains today, sir. The replacement bus service departs from the car park.

Ronnie Corbett: This is completely ridiculous! You charge me an arm and a leg for a standard train fare then expect me to travel by bus? I could have just bought a bus fare for less.

Ronnie Barker: Ah, you should have said so.

[Ronnie Barker takes off his British Rail hat and puts on a bus driver’s hat.]

Ronnie Barker: Good morning, sir. How can I help you?

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Did someone mention Tiree.

image.png.ebedfd8f7149e29100984e8725f56ea3.png

The real Tiree has hills, in the west Ben Hynish at 141M where the civil aviation Authority has it's radar perched on top, and in the east Ben Gott where the RAF were to build a radar.

Only in the centre is it flat, now a civi airfield, was a big ww2 bomber base.

The flat area used to be corn fields.. Tiree means land of corn..

Having lived in the Hebrides twice, frost and snow are very rare. Being below 0C is also rare.

Wind , howling gales, and horizontal rain... Common, and if it isn't, Midges... Hungry ones...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Don't worry Christmas cracker jokes will be here soon!

I've got a couple of boxes of cheap crackers to hand, I plan on releasing the "jokes" at a measured pace through the Christmas season...

You have been warned!!!

• Funny 1