The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Shamelessly taken from Facebook .

It's long and some minor naughty language , the North American members should

recognise the situation .

DIARY OF A SNOW SHOVELER:

Moved to North Dakota this fall. We heard that summers are fun and winter is beautiful. We think there is no more beautiful a place in the whole world!

...snip...

-Author Unknown

That is so old that it has become a glacier! 🙂

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, big jim said:

Had to do a double take in B&M this morning!

IMG_3620.jpeg

The relay tripped; not knowing how many pence in a pound, I thought that it might have dealt with the price! But, as I said, the relay finally tripped! 😉

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The relay tripped; not knowing how many pence in a pound, I thought that it might have dealt with the price! But, as I said, the relay finally tripped! 😉

For your information, there are 100 pence to a pound note. It has been so, since 15 February 1971!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

For your information, there are 100 pence to a pound note. It has been so, since 15 February 1971!

And that was because 240 pennies to the pound/12 pennies to the shilling plus thruppences/sixpences/shillings/florins/halfcrowns/ten bob notes were confusing and complicated things for overseas tourists!

And that was just everyday pocket change*.  I've left out farthings, ha'pennies and crowns because they were less common, had been dying out or actually demonetised well before Decimalisation.

* Nowadays, holes in pockets are much rarer due to the decrease in both weight and volume of so much slummy...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And that was because 240 pennies to the pound/12 pennies to the shilling plus thruppences/sixpences/shillings/florins/halfcrowns/ten bob notes were confusing and complicated things for overseas tourists!

Except in Australia*, where the currency changed on 14 Feb 1966 and so 5 years ahead of the UK! Australia also changed to Dollars and Cents, which of course was completely different to any US version. Probably decimalisation wouldn't have occurred in the UK, if the names of pounds and pence were going to be changed!

*I should state that it wasn't until March 1972 that i left the UK and so I do remember the changeover in Britain.

Use your old pennies in sixpenny lots!
https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1971-d-day-minus-one-decimals-song/465801841899735/

New Zealand changed in 1967, I believe, so still well ahead of Britain.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Australia also changed to Dollars and Cents, which of course was completely different to any US version.

You could have named the currency to Roos and Joeys.  Ideosyncratic, not following any other currency names AND a laugh at forex desks!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

No, it was the OECD countries (mainly Middle Eastern ones) that artificially created shortages of oil, that have been the biggest contributors to inflation. Because they had only one product to sell (unless you want sand and rock!), and so wanted a better price.

Only recently with renewables, is the tide starting to turn away from oil. Took over 50 years and STILL there are plenty of doubters.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

No, it was the OECD countries (mainly Middle Eastern ones) that artificially created shortages of oil, that have been the biggest contributors to inflation. Because they had only one product to sell (unless you want sand and rock!), and so wanted a better price.

Only recently with renewables, is the tide starting to turn away from oil. Took over 50 years and STILL there are plenty of doubters.

The biggest problem is the obsession with World prices for oil rather than production cost but then the reverse is true with Steel when foreign manufacturers are accused of undercutting UK manufacturers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Except in Australia*, where the currency changed on 14 Feb 1966 and so 5 years ahead of the UK!

Even people born long after decimal currency was introduced know this date! Government advertising is usually quite lame but the jingle is embedded in the national psyche. What a lot of people didn't know until the original film was restored by the National Film and Sound Archive is it was made in colour.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

What the hell was the artist on who designed this combination? 4-8-0 black 5 with extended chimney, VSOE passenger/tender and some double deck or ‘atrium’ stock behind on dual gauge track! https://www.barnstapletowncouncil.gov.uk/council_events/railway-exhibition/

IMG_1714.png.a3d0cbf17ece8d5cbbb7d3e5d88c5c6d.png

Not quite sure if that's meant to be 3 rail, or broad gauge / narrow gauge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

think it’s tillig dual gauge track 

IMG_3648.jpeg.adbb75db3666cd10475d364d23d485d8.jpeg

i suspect the poster image is AI generated 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Even people born long after decimal currency was introduced know this date! Government advertising is usually quite lame but the jingle is embedded in the national psyche. What a lot of people didn't know until the original film was restored by the National Film and Sound Archive is it was made in colour.

From Latin to Bohemian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

What the hell was the artist on who designed this combination? 4-8-0 black 5 with extended chimney, VSOE passenger/tender and some double deck or ‘atrium’ stock behind on dual gauge track! https://www.barnstapletowncouncil.gov.uk/council_events/railway-exhibition/

IMG_1714.png.a3d0cbf17ece8d5cbbb7d3e5d88c5c6d.png

I think the higher carriages are an AI getting confused between train and station.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's Brunel's Atmospheric Railway! Well it may as well be, as there are so many other errors!

• Like 3