The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

On 02/02/2024 at 21:00, PhilJ W said:

I'd like to see what he told the insurance company.

The vehicle was going to be weighed in for scrap, Auto gearbox died and a replacement box was £3000

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Except that they only serve to highlight the wrongness of the others.  There is of course no reason that the floor indicator or the buttons inside the lift cannot be ordered in that way if you wanted them so, so long as the lift stops at the floor you pressed the button for.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Except that they only serve to highlight the wrongness of the others.  There is of course no reason that the floor indicator or the buttons inside the lift cannot be ordered in that way if you wanted them so, so long as the lift stops at the floor you pressed the button for.

There should also be a "Lucky Dip" button!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No it just means that you shouldn't believe everything you read!

If a sign says 4th floor, how do you know it's true?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

No it just means that you shouldn't believe everything you read!

If a sign says 4th floor, how do you know it's true?

It all depends on the indexing system used.

Start at 0?

Or 1?

Or something else!

They're both valid.  In fact, some UK lifts are effectively indexed to start at, say, -1.

eg: Basement, Ground, 1, 2, 3 ... n.

🤪

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

It all depends on the indexing system used.

Start at 0?

Or 1?

Or something else!

They're both valid.  In fact, some UK lifts are effectively indexed to start at, say, -1.

eg: Basement, Ground, 1, 2, 3 ... n.

🤪

Of course and some buildings have the street level at different levels as far as the lift is concerned - front or rear entrances, depending on fall of the land.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

In fact, some UK lifts are effectively indexed to start at, say, -1.

A previous day-job location had a lift with floors going down to -10. Our security pass only allowed us into floors +1 to +3.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Our local hospital is like this, and has a lower groud floor, ground floor, and an upper ground floor.  Below lower ground is basement, and below basement is lower basement.  Below that, not accessible by public lifts, is 'The Catacombs', an impentatrable maze of concrete passageways carrying service cables and pipes.  There are tribes down there that have never seen a white man, and they whisper of unspeakable eldritch creatures even further in.  People get lost, and sometimes they are found, but what q!comes back is, um. not the same person...  Sometimes you can hear distant noises, but it's only Cthulu shifting in his sleep.  Best not to awaken him.  Shadows lurk and scuttle away when you turn to look, which is just as well because you don't want to see what they are.  Something nameless watches, but not with eyes...

It's still better than waiting to be seen in Casualty on a Saturday night, though.  Even Cthulu is scared of that!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Talking of basements, back along in 2007 - 2012 the Co I used to work for looked after The Plymouth Aquarium's fire alarm and emergency lighting... in those days they had a section called 'The Deep' as part of this they had a mechanical giant squid, to access this section and the motor room was under the display and stepping round the squid which was triggerd by a motion sensor.

This area was under the floor area in a basement corridor, so when I went there for the first time with the our other engineer Dave who knew the run of the site I was completely unaware where I was ...

' oh just open that door there's a smoke detector in the plant room and lighting bank'.... so RJB opens the door where upon the Squid opens his eyes in the gloom by my face and starts wagging his tentacles - shock horror! help!, I turn round and Dave is doubled up with laughter - 'everytime it never fails' 😀 

'Rotter'

There was another time when changing an emergency light on a metal open grid ceiling found the grid was live - now that wasn't funny

Edited by John Besley
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A previous day-job location had a lift with floors going down to -10. Our security pass only allowed us into floors +1 to +3.

Bank?

Missile silo?

Bond villain's lair?

I'm sure you can't tell us anyway..... 😏

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Talking of basements, back along in 2007 - 2012 the Co I used to work for looked after The Plymouth Aquarium's fire alarm and emergency lighting... in those days they had a section called 'The Deep' as part of this they had a mechanical giant squid, to access this section and the motor room was under the display and stepping round the squid which was triggerd by a motion sensor.

This area was under the floor area in a basement corridor, so when I went there for the first time with the our other engineer Dave who knew the run of the site I was completely unaware where I was ...

' oh just open that door there's a smoke detector in the plant room and lighting bank'.... so RJB opens the door where upon the Squid opens his eyes in the gloom by my face and starts wagging his tentacles - shock horror! help!, I turn round and Dave is doubled up with laughter - 'everytime it never fails' 😀 

'Rotter'

There was another time when changing an emergency light on a metal open grid ceiling found the grid was live - now that wasn't funny

You sure it wasn't Cthulu?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

You sure it wasn't Cthulu?

Having had a genteel upbringing I had to Google Cthulu .... and there was more than a passing resemblance..

A few years later the squid was dumped in a skip ... the site engineers had great fun drapping him in there as you can imagine his eyes peering over the top of a 8 ton high sided skip...

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

41 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Having had a genteel upbringing I had to Google Cthulu .... and there was more than a passing resemblance..

A few years later the squid was dumped in a skip ... the site engineers had great fun drapping him in there as you can imagine his eyes peering over the top of a 8 ton high sided skip...

Was the squid sick and how much did it cost?

🤮🦑

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

If your pass didn't allow you to the area below ground you obviously weren't a mole...

I'll see myself out.

• Funny 4

11 minutes ago, ian said:

If your pass didn't allow you to the area below ground you obviously weren't a mole...

I'll see myself out.

More likely to be not allowed, because they hadn't confirmed that he was not a Mole.....

.....  Probably a sensible precaution, given that they had taken the trouble to construct so many levels of tunnel depth.  A Mole might create a lot of damage to the tunnels and their contents.

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Circular place not far from me?

Andi

• Like 1