RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Sled said:

I'm confused: I spend a considerable amount of time and money each day turning wine back into water again - does this make me amongst the damned or the exalted?

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Drink lager. You won't notice any difference between input and output...

'I am a biological machine designed for the purpose of converting state benefits into brewers' profits', seen on toilet wall in local pub.  Sounds about right.  You will notice the difference, btw, I imagine that the output tastes better in the case of some lagers.

Another point is that a gay friend of mine claims that the difference between a straight chav and a gay chav is 8 cans of Stella, and he's got the notches on his bedpost to prove it...

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Actually, that looks as if it might work quite well, as the movement of the train will affect the writer's hand, the tablet, and the sling hook jiggerypokery all with simultaneous equiponerance (been waiting years to use that).  It would probably take you from Paddington to Didcot or so before you'd adjusted it half-properly, and you'd look like a total merchant banker setting it all up in front of your fellow-travellers, though...

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Actually, that looks as if it might work quite well, as the movement of the train will affect the writer's hand, the tablet, and the sling hook jiggerypokery all with simultaneous equiponerance (been waiting years to use that).  It would probably take you from Paddington to Didcot or so before you'd adjusted it half-properly, and you'd look like a total merchant banker setting it all up in front of your fellow-travellers, though...

This is still a problem. I rode in a Danish IC3 train where at least one of the wheels on the bogie under my seat has a flat spot that was so violent I had to stop working as I could not control my mouse. I closed my laptop and put it on the middle of the table and had a snooze… until I was woken up by the noise my laptop made when it hit the floor.

• Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

The British are always at the forefront of engineering innovation. 

A simple idea. Substitute pad for i-pad!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

hipocrit.jpg.e33ee4fc4a8abb07096725e7c4440403.jpg

Its a popular description of ancient burial practices with academic underpinnings.  Quite an interesting read*, actually. Perhaps he's annoyed that she has a series of popular books AND a tv series, and he hasn't...

* Yes, I've read it...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Continuing the literary theme:

That time someone tried to explain the Handmaid's Tale to Margret Atwood...

65618384_1063903033801690_1298844513137065984_n.jpg.0763a9c9fe92d0ec7b7f6bc9e7bb8b1b.jpg

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its a popular description of ancient burial practices with academic underpinnings.  Quite an interesting read*, actually. Perhaps he's annoyed that she has a series of popular books AND a tv series, and he hasn't...

* Yes, I've read it...

And her latest ‘Crypt’ was released today :) 

I think his sour grapes would just make her laugh at the irony of his title and post.
These books aren’t academic papers anyway they are aimed at a broader audience so are written in a more accessible way, that doesn’t diminish the information. 

Having seen her put a tv producer right on stage I’d suggest he’s just trolling for reaction which I doubt he’ll get 😆

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funny that he didn't moan at Professors Brian Cox, Stephen Hawkins and Green for also using their titles....

Professor Mick Aston in Time Team even back in the 90s. I note the new crowd funded episodes are using everyone's academic titles.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Alum, alumina, alumium, aluminum, aluminium

You'll find the mocked post was actually correct in terms of spelling - though not invention.

Wikipedia:

In 1807, British chemist Humphry Davy successfully electrolyzed alumina with alkaline batteries, but the resulting alloy contained potassium and sodium, and Davy had no means to separate the desired metal from these. ... Davy suggested the metal be named alumium in 1808 and aluminum in 1812, thus producing the modern name. Other scientists used the spelling aluminium; the former spelling regained usage in the United States in the following decades

The US-favoured spelling was created by one of Britain's great, late-18th/early-19th century chemists - President of the Royal Society, knighted in 1812 and made Baronet in 1818, with a marble memorial in Westminster Abbey. Not bad for the son of a Penzance wood carver.

Also blog post describing etymology here. (Many such reasonably argued examples online should people care to look.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I do wonder who will notice my deliberate mistake.....

Hawkins

Its Hawking .

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

leginjury.jpg.2f358f5377dd66b5e1fdac19e43dee73.jpg

The US lack of universal healthcare, isn't it a wonderful system?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2