The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

It seems that once the Red Dwarf crew returned to earth, one of them started a driving school around our area:

post-6864-0-40159400-1356816684_thumb.jpg

On the subject of names fitting jobs ("Nominative determinism" as New Scientist called it...) there's a urology surgeon in Birmingham called Mr Cockwell, and another in Exeter called Mr Pocock!

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 12

I include this as something that make me smile on the grounds that I was driving the Hymek and having fun with big toys always makes me smile.

post-7964-0-91358000-1356817209_thumb.jpg

The reason for the double heading was due to the rails being too damp for a single loco on some of the gradients at BMR.

The photo is used with permission of the copyright holder

• Like 9

Here are our two senior cats a couple of years ago.  A pair of rescued littermates obtained from the local cats' home on condition that they not be separated and must never be allowed outside.

Sadly, Stanley (left) is no longer with us but Harold (right) is still going strong, partly due to Stanley's replacement (below) keeping him on his toes and taking his mind off his bereavement.

post-17123-0-36243700-1356930298_thumb.jpg

post-17123-0-81890500-1356930378_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Just rediscovered this in the darkest recesses of my other computer, taken some four years ago in the centre of Reading. It's either something to do with St. Patrick's Day or Ireland's Hell's Angels hit town, I'm not sure which.

post-16235-0-99465900-1357067106.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I liked the place when I lived there, it had the best model shop ever. Just down from the station.

Regrettably EAMES disappeared a very long time ago with the site earmarked for 'redevelopment' - which eventually took place several years afterwards and has mostly stood empty ever since although I believe the company David Brent worked for were in there for filming of at least one series (according to local 'myth', might even be true).

Regrettably EAMES disappeared a very long time ago with the site earmarked for 'redevelopment' - which eventually took place several years afterwards and has mostly stood empty ever since although I believe the company David Brent worked for were in there for filming of at least one series (according to local 'myth', might even be true).

I remember EAMES fondly. As N15 said, it was quite the best model railway shop one could wish for. You could get just about anything there, from an Atlas N-gauge 0-4-0 B&O switcher to a dome casting for a 4F in 4mm, stopping off along the way for sheet brass and nickel-silver plus the latest Loco Profiles. One Bob Treacher worked there just before it closed. An excellent fellow all round, he went on to open the Alton Model Centre. That's still there but whether or not he is is unknown to me, it being a few years since I've visited the place. 

• RMweb Gold

I remember EAMES fondly. As N15 said, it was quite the best model railway shop one could wish for. You could get just about anything there, from an Atlas N-gauge 0-4-0 B&O switcher to a dome casting for a 4F in 4mm, stopping off along the way for sheet brass and nickel-silver plus the latest Loco Profiles. One Bob Treacher worked there just before it closed. An excellent fellow all round, he went on to open the Alton Model Centre. That's still there but whether or not he is is unknown to me, it being a few years since I've visited the place. 

Bob is still firmly ensconced at Alton (well he was 3 weeks ago when I last looked in).  Sorry to go OT.

• Like 1