The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I like waterfall taps, we had a new bathroom back in March and had them fitted, the only thing I wish I hadn’t had was a double ended bath with a waterfall tap in the centre, one accidental knock of the tap and you scald or freeze your balls! 

Also regards the double ended bath when your trying to get out there is no where to push your feet against to push yourself up, you just end up slipping back under the water like a floundering whale causing a huge tidal wave! 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Paying income tax, is NOT against 'God's Will'. They have already lost their property due to unpaid rates.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/finance-news/2019/07/17/christian-family-2-million-tax-bill/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Morning News - 20190718

As usual their defence is contradictory. I did a quick Google search which brought up two references from their bible:

Matthew 22:21: Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

Romans 13:1: "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

It almost always makes me smile when someone is hoist on their own petard, and particularly so in religious matters where so much store is put into words written by 'heck knows who' over a thousand years ago, with no knowledge today of the writer's motives.

• Agree 3

brilliant 

Nicked from another site.... UK Armed Forces Reactions to Snake Threat Infantry Regiment: Tracks snake through jungle. Snake smells them and quickly leaves area, travelling upwind. Parachute Regiment: Lands on and kills snake. Royal Tank Regiment: Runs over snake, laughs and looks for more snakes. Household Cavalry: Treats snake with haughty disdain as having no impact on primary objective - to hold London against the Roundheads at all costs. Royal Marine Commando: Plays with snake, gets smashed with snake. Eats snake. Royal Artillery: Fires 3 hour concentrated barrage with 105 mm howitzers, 155mm AS-90s and MLRS. Misses snake. Tree blown up by stray round falls on snake and kills it. Mission declared successful and all participants awarded gallantry medals. 22 Special Air Service Regiment: Makes contact with snake and, ignoring Foreign Office directives, builds rapport with snake and starts winning its heart and mind. Trains it to kill other snakes. Files massive expenses claim. Writes bestseller "Python Two Zero". Royal Army Medical Corps: Wounds snake in initial encounter, then works feverishly to save snake's life. Snake then dies by mistake on operating table in field hospital. Dissects snake. Royal Navy (Task Force): Fires a single Tomahawk cruise missile from the one working nuclear sub and follows up with naval gunfire from various destroyers and frigates. Estimates 60% of snake killed. Makes PowerPoint presentation to MoD Select Committee on how Naval forces are the most cost effective means of conducting anti-snake operations. TA: Weekend camp cancelled due to presence of snakes in area. RAF Obtains GPS co-ordinates for snake. Alerts 40 Tornadoes, 20 Typhoons and the RAF Regiment. Loads laser-guided bombs by mistake. Flies in at 20,000 feet. Can't find snake due to low cloud cover. Drops bombs in sea on way home killing 85% of marine life in no fly zone. Aircrew returns to 5 Star hotel for crew rest, dry-cleaning collection, facial and manicure. Army Intelligence Corps: Snake? What snake? Only 4 of 35 indicators of snake presence currently active. Assesses potential for snake activity as low. Dies of snakebite. Royal Signals Find snake. Kill snake. Stuff and mount snake on a plaque. Build a bar. Place snake plaque above bar. Call bar 'The Snake Pit'!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It amused me that taxes evolved from the tithe barns, a concept brought in by the church...

Try Ancient Egypt.

Taxes were calculated by the height of the Nile during the annual flood, the "inundation", this was done using a "Nilometer" of which there are several from Pharoanic times still extant

High Nile = lots of fertile silt deposits on fields = more crops = higher taxes.

Low Nile = less silt = poor crops = lower taxes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 18/07/2019 at 07:26, Ian J. said:

As usual their defence is contradictory. I did a quick Google search which brought up two references from their bible:

Matthew 22:21: Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

Romans 13:1: "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

It almost always makes me smile when someone is hoist on their own petard, and particularly so in religious matters where so much store is put into words written by 'heck knows who' over a thousand years ago, with no knowledge today of the writer's motives.

So would the bit from Romans be the reason James 1st and 6th and Charles 1st (and a few other rulers) claimed the divine right of kings?  Didn't go to well for Charles.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

So would the bit from Romans be the reason James 1st and 6th and Charles 1st (and a few other rulers) claimed the divine right of kings?  Didn't go to well for Charles.

Probably. Theology isn't a subject I'm that familiar with. Most of my memories of biblical quotes come from RE lessons at school.