RMweb

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I placed an order with Hattons over the weekend and received a notification e-mail from them yesterday evening to tell me that my order had been packed. So far so good.

However, despite choosing Royal Mail as my preferred courier, the e-mail informs me that the parcel is being sent with Yodel. This is the third time out of four that this has happened this year. I choose Royal Mail for a reason- I am a shift worker, and if I and my wife miss a parcel it is as easy as popping to the post office to collect it. And secondly I've never been particularly impressed with Yodels service or couriers.

I shall give Hattons a ring before I go to bed to see if I can have the courier changed (this has worked in the past if you can speak to them before the parcel is posted), but I am getting frustrated and mildly annoyed that this keeps happening. What is the point of giving the customer a choice of courier if the option selected is simply ignored?

• RMweb Premium

I placed an order with Hattons over the weekend and received a notification e-mail from them yesterday evening to tell me that my order had been packed. So far so good.

However, despite choosing Royal Mail as my preferred courier, the e-mail informs me that the parcel is being sent with Yodel. This is the third time out of four that this has happened this year. I choose Royal Mail for a reason- I am a shift worker, and if I and my wife miss a parcel it is as easy as popping to the post office to collect it. And secondly I've never been particularly impressed with Yodels service or couriers.

I shall give Hattons a ring before I go to bed to see if I can have the courier changed (this has worked in the past if you can speak to them before the parcel is posted), but I am getting frustrated and mildly annoyed that this keeps happening. What is the point of giving the customer a choice of courier if the option selected is simply ignored?

I always put Royal mail only in the box for special instructions saves this problem as I find yodel a pain to get things redelivered

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll try that in future. When I checked the e-mail again this morning I noticed that it also had a tracking number, so there was no point speaking to Hattons as the parcel was already en-route. Fortunately there was someone here to receive it today.

I'm always very pleased with Hattons. They are fast, and today I'll get my new package with a blue/grey MK1 Full Brake (2nd hand, not that Express Parcels version, just the regular one. Very rare these days...) plus a MK2D Brake Second in IC Swallow-Livery, yeaaaahhhh!!! Just a couple of hours, and they are mine!

Always worth to check out their 2nd hand stuff, already have a Heljan 47 in Virgin livery, fantastic model and like new.

Very happy with Hattons. :sungum:

I'm always very pleased with Hattons. They are fast, and today I'll get my new package with a blue/grey MK1 Full Brake (2nd hand, not that Express Parcels version, just the regular one. Very rare these days...) plus a MK2D Brake Second in IC Swallow-Livery, yeaaaahhhh!!! Just a couple of hours, and they are mine!

Always worth to check out their 2nd hand stuff, already have a Heljan 47 in Virgin livery, fantastic model and like new.

Very happy with Hattons. :sungum:

http://www.ehattons.com/76577/Bachmann_Branchline_31_028_LN_01_Class_166_Turbo_3_car_DMU_First_Great_Western_2006_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx - Ouch!!!!!!!

Or is this what Phil Parker was mentioning on MREMag the other day about increasing second hand prices?

Just glad I've already got one of the FGW 166's.

http://www.ehattons.com/76577/Bachmann_Branchline_31_028_LN_01_Class_166_Turbo_3_car_DMU_First_Great_Western_2006_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx - Ouch!!!!!!!

Or is this what Phil Parker was mentioning on MREMag the other day about increasing second hand prices?

Just glad I've already got one of the FGW 166's.

Hu, yeah, that's not a real bargain, hehe... Glad I don't need one! :jester:

On the topic of overpriced second hand items, I recently enquired about selling the following items. All in original boxes, excellent condition, even with the bits bags intact and unopened. They offered me £200. When asked for a breakdown on their value of each item, they refused.

Item No. 374-751 - Graham Farish Mk2 TFO Coach First Great Western x2

Item No. 374-726 - Graham Farish Mk2 TSO Coach First Great Western x3

Item No. 374-676 - Graham Farish Mk2 BSO Coach First Great Western

Item No. 374-701 - Graham Farish Mk2 RMBF Coach First Great Western

Item No. 371-653 - Graham Farish Class 57 Diesel 57601 Portabrook Purple

Item No. 371-226 - Graham Farish Class 47 Diesel 47832 First Great Western

Item No. ND209B - Dapol Class 122 Regional Railway DMU

Item No. ND063B - Dapol Class 220007 Virgin Thames Voyager

Item No. ND063C - Dapol Class 220002 Virgin Forth Voyager

Item No. 2P-005-003 - Dapol Mk3 Buffet & Standard Class Coach Pretendolino

Regards

• RMweb Gold

You offered them as a job lot and they gave a price for a job lot.  I can understand them not giving individual valuations, as they probably did not add up individual valuations to get £200, but just offered a round figure "two hundred for the lot"

Hiya,

Before anyone gets upset, I will say that I am happy with the service Hatton provided. Whether I agree or disagree with their evaluation is irrelevant. I asked for one, and they responded, and very quickly I might add. 

I was disappointed about not getting at least some form of break down, which in fairness would be no different if I had sent each item individually to be evaluated (which cheekily I did consider).

However, the point of my post above was to add to the discussion about seemingly high priced second hand items, yet (in my case) seemingly low buy in prices (for what ever factors affect Hattons and their business). Admittedly there are no direct comparisons being made here between a buy in price and its subsequent relisting.

Regards

On the topic of overpriced second hand items, I recently enquired about selling the following items. All in original boxes, excellent condition, even with the bits bags intact and unopened. They offered me £200. When asked for a breakdown on their value of each item, they refused.

Regards

I'll Do hatton's job for them :-

You have 10 items and you were offered 200, So that makes them worth £20 each to them.

Simple.

To be fair, if you are asked to quote for buying a quantity of stock, the protocol is normally that the quote will be for the lot as described. There are very few trade buyers that work on the basis of an a la carte list - the price offered is for the lot. SO, taking the example above, you most certainly won't get offered £20 just for a Graham Farish Mk2 coach......     

Agr07, on 08 May 2014 - 15:12, said:

I'll Do hatton's job for them :-

You have 10 items and you were offered 200, So that makes them worth £20 each to them.

Simple.

I think Hattons would have noted that there were 13 items...

you most certainly won't get offered £20 just for a Graham Farish Mk2 coach......

Hattons have second hand GF Mk2s on sale for £14.50.

They also have a DCC fitted Voyager for £101. At £140 new and with at least £60(?) of DCC chips (3x£20), 50% lower price than brand new seems a better situation than the above Class 166.

My interest still remains though. What did they pay the seller before it was relisted :)

Actually 15 items but who`s counting

I only count 13,

Thats 10 items listed with 1 extra TFO and 2 extra TSO, which = 13.

Received my replacement Duchess today. Runs fine; on closer inspection it is definitely not the one I sent back, and shows signs of having had the wheel back to backs changed. 

No sign of the postage they were supposed to refund though. I have sent an email asking if this will be processed back onto the original payment card. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's a fact that a dealer's mark up (and subsequent profit) on many second hand items greatly exceeds that of new. This applies from full size cars to model trains.

Savvy folk cottoned on to this a while ago and either: 1. buy when they find the price acceptable, 2. don't buy or 3. use craigslist/ Amazon/ eBay for used items!!! :derisive:

Selling second hand items is a personal thing. Either you're happy to take what a dealer offers or you sell them elsewhere. Usually, if you offer a "job lot", you receive a price for same.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a Sony action cam and wanted a bogie well wagon to carry it round my railway. Looking on the Hattons website I found that Bachmann does a wagon 33-879A. It has a boiler in it, so clicking on the chat at the bottom right of screen I asked a Hattons staff member how easy it would be to detatch the boiler from the wagon. The girl on the other end said she new little about this but would go and find someone who knew a lot more about models.

Back came the answer, I would have  a great deal of trouble removing it as it seems to be molded as part of the wagon. I thought that sounds odd as Bachmann sells individual boilers.

So still at a loss I headed to my local model shop (40 miles away) and found they had exactly the same wagon. It would require a fillips head screw driver to remove one small silver screw and the boiler and it's supporting cradle comes free of the wagon.

Obviously the Hattons staff didn't take the wagon out of the box and have a good look. So for us overseas perhaps "box shifters" isn't a bad description.

I bought the wagon and the camera fits perfectly I tested the camera in the wagon at the shop which has a small demonstration layout with a tunnel with no problems whatsoever. I notified Bachmann. 

I recently bought a Sony action cam and wanted a bogie well wagon to carry it round my railway. Looking on the Hattons website I found that Bachmann does a wagon 33-879A.

.... I notified Bachmann. 

I look forward to 33-879C's release: well-wagon with action-cam.  DCC controlled, of course!  :angel: