Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

No problem with deliveries from Hattons via Yodel, however Royal Mail when you are not in and you get a tried t o deliver note though the door, you try to get through to Royal Mail through their automated call system, no human interface and finally just an automated voice telling you it can be redelivered in 48 hours.

Before the sell off you could speak to your local sorting ofice and have it redelivered next day.

So lets not say Royal Mail is wonderful.

You don't need to endure the automated call system, you can book a redelivery online here - http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redelivery

I always do it this way - quick and easy and it always works for me.

HI 

just been looking at there site and was a bit shocked to some pre-owned wagon going for more than new ones?!

I can not understand if it's second had it should normally be a little bit cheaper than say a new one am i missing something here?.

Darren

But see my post #213 above - a Farish 3MT tank for £50.  Also, about a month ago they had on offer "Like New" both blue and green Farish Class 40s from he latest production run (new @ £65) also for £50 each.  So bargains can be had.

I've actually warmed up to the way they have their second hand items listed as I'm finding it fun to check and see what they've added each day.  Which is no doubt what they are after.  The style of the photographs for the second hand items is also clearly different than for those items that are new.

The only thing I take issue with is I can find no statement on Hatton's website about whether or not the "Like New" items can are sold as is, or can be returned if found NOT "Like New."

Matt

No problem with deliveries from Hattons via Yodel, however Royal Mail when you are not in and you get a tried t o deliver note though the door, you try to get through to Royal Mail through their automated call system, no human interface and finally just an automated voice telling you it can be redelivered in 48 hours.

Before the sell off you could speak to your local sorting ofice and have it redelivered next day.

So lets not say Royal Mail is wonderful.

I think the service you get depends massively on where you live and the quality of staff working in your area.

Where I live in West London, Yodel are absolutely awful. They never put a card through the door (even though their tracking site claims they have). Royal Mail, on the other hand, always card me and I can usually pick up from the local sorting office (5 minutes walk) the next morning from 7am before I go to work. Oh, and the sorting office is open late on Wednesday nights till 8pm. I've had deliveries where I was carded on a Wednesday morning and picked up the delivery from the office the same evening.

• RMweb Gold

Our Royal Mail sorting office is behind the station. It opens at 7am and our normal train is at 07.15, so its really handy for picking up parcels. hence we now put a comment in the Hattons delivery options to say please send via Royal Mail which they have done each time since doing this.

There have been problems where I live with the postman leaving parcels on the door step. The worst example was when the Royal Mail left a model of a Wrenn Corfe Castle on the doorstep of a friend's cottage at Corfe Castle a long time ago and someone stole it. I made a lot of fuss about the postman leaving parcels on the doorstep or not ringing my door bell and putting a note through my door. Now the Royal Mail service is very good. If I am not in I can collect the parcel from the sorting office which is a five minute walk away the following day.

I have always specified Royal Mail yet Hattons sent a Hornby Sandringham by Yodel. I was not in on the Friday and Yodel left me a note telling me to arrange a time to collect it or I would have to go to Poole, 20 miles away to collect it. The Yodel representative said he did not weekends but I could collect it from his house on Monday.

I always specify Royal Mail as the couriers are often remote from our house (up to 30 miles away) and very inflexible. I can easily pop to the PO to collect however. One courier I do like is DPD with their early warning email & pick your own delivery option, very efficient.

Hattons though do drive me mad. Despite clicking on the Royal Mail option and writing send by royal mail only in the instruction box, they seem determined to send stuff out by courier.

Hattons though do drive me mad. Despite clicking on the Royal Mail option and writing send by royal mail only in the instruction box, they seem determined to send stuff out by courier.

I seem to recall Hattons explaining that  they may decide to use courier rather than Royal Mail if the package becomes ready to go after the last expected Royal Mail collection from them that day and they are still expecting the couriers to collect. In other words, they seem to try to despatch items as soon as possible once they are ready, rather than keep the customer waiting for the next day's RM collection..

It makes no difference to me here in deepest Norfolk - our local RM Delivery Office team are all brilliant, and the Yodel chap who serves my address is intelligent, helpful and caring, so I'm doubly lucky!  Especially so as my nearest model shop is over 20 miles away in a town I visit never more than once a year!

Richard

• Like 1

The problem with couriers,at least in my experience,especially today is that if you don`t  get to the door within 10 seconds of them knocking,theyr`e off.Today,i was waiting for a frozen meat delivery.He knocked & rang the bell,i was at the door within 20 seconds & he`d dissapeared.He`d gone round the side of the house ready to throw it over the side gate.At least the postman normally waits for a minute.

Ray.

The problem with couriers,at least in my experience,especially today is that if you don`t  get to the door within 10 seconds of them knocking,theyr`e off.Today,i was waiting for a frozen meat delivery.He knocked & rang the bell,i was at the door within 20 seconds & he`d dissapeared.He`d gone round the side of the house ready to throw it over the side gate.At least the postman normally waits for a minute.

Ray.

A lot of them get paid by the item hence their reluctance to wait very long. Time is money and all that!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, my 2nd post in the Hattons thread, ordered my Heljan Royal Mail red 128 on Thursday evening at 9.30'ish, chose the Yodel option, same price at £4.00, arrived at my Business premises Saturday morning, Dog's Dangly thingies service again from Hattons.

Calling Hattons a box shifter shop I feel is a bit derogatory by those who do, they are an efficient and well run business who provide a quick and competitively priced service, that is why they are both popular and well used.

It's like saying Macdonalds don't offer fine dining !!! but they offer something that seems to please a lot of people, so they must be doing something right.

Happy modelling

Craig.

• Like 1

I seem to recall Hattons explaining that  they may decide to use courier rather than Royal Mail if the package becomes ready to go after the last expected Royal Mail collection from them that day and they are still expecting the couriers to collect. In other words, they seem to try to despatch items as soon as possible once they are ready, rather than keep the customer waiting for the next day's RM collection..

It makes no difference to me here in deepest Norfolk - our local RM Delivery Office team are all brilliant, and the Yodel chap who serves my address is intelligent, helpful and caring, so I'm doubly lucky!  Especially so as my nearest model shop is over 20 miles away in a town I visit never more than once a year!

Richard

Hi Richard, we to are blessed by our local Postie's and the Couriers, they are all as equal in their common sense and job intelligence when dealing with their Customers "The Public"

Bravo to them all.

Craig.

Hi all, my 2nd post in the Hattons thread, ordered my Heljan Royal Mail red 128 on Thursday evening at 9.30'ish, chose the Yodel option, same price at £4.00, arrived at my Business premises Saturday morning, Dog's Dangly thingies service again from Hattons.

Calling Hattons a box shifter shop I feel is a bit derogatory by those who do, they are an efficient and well run business who provide a quick and competitively priced service, that is why they are both popular and well used.

It's like saying Macdonalds don't offer fine dining !!! but they offer something that seems to please a lot of people, so they must be doing something right.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Have to agree and add that their website is super easy to use, shipping to overseas is a breeze. Never had any problems to date. The also have a facebook page which they monitor and are involved in quite regularly. Too many businesses have a facebook page but don't participate (why bother then?) 

• RMweb Premium

Hattons shift boxes.  Efficiently and quickly but they shift the maximum number of boxes they can.  I have also called them the Tesco of the model railway world.  Pile it high - sell it cheap.  If you can make 1p on every box you sell and sell a million boxes then you're made as much as someone who prices higher, sells perhaps 10,000 and makes £1 on each.  But you have a reputation for being cheaper .....

Macdonalds set out to create a demand.  They were successful in that.  I don't call them fine dining.  In fact they're so unpleasant that I try to avoid them.  But they are sometimes the only option and often the only place open outside of "normal" hours.  If you want breakfast at 6am in a country town there's often not a lot of choice ..... 

Hattons shift boxes.  Efficiently and quickly but they shift the maximum number of boxes they can.  I have also called them the Tesco of the model railway world.  Pile it high - sell it cheap.  If you can make 1p on every box you sell and sell a million boxes then you're made as much as someone who prices higher, sells perhaps 10,000 and makes £1 on each.  But you have a reputation for being cheaper .....

Macdonalds set out to create a demand.  They were successful in that.  I don't call them fine dining.  In fact they're so unpleasant that I try to avoid them.  But they are sometimes the only option and often the only place open outside of "normal" hours.  If you want breakfast at 6am in a country town there's often not a lot of choice ..... 

Hi Gwiwer, I just realised my post makes it out that MCdonalds offer fine dining......!!!! I meant to say McDonalds   "Don't"  offer fine dining, but they obviously franchise out something that supposedly resembles  food !!!! 

As with Hattons and the box shifter tag, they do move plenty of items, but it is the way some people use the terminology of box shifter against Hattons, they seem to use the label "Box Shifter" as they are the evil force that are killing off the local model shop "and this excuse is used when a model shop closes".

When in truth Hattons have been around longer that most model shops anyway.

PS love your Penhayle Bay layout.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 2

Hi Gwiwer, I just realised my post makes it out that MCdonalds offer fine dining......!!!! I meant to say McDonalds   "Don't"  offer fine dining, but they obviously franchise out something that supposedly resembles  food !!!! 

As with Hattons and the box shifter tag, they do move plenty of items, but it is the way some people use the terminology of box shifter against Hattons, they seem to use the label "Box Shifter" as they are the evil force that are killing off the local model shop "and this excuse is used when a model shop closes".

When in truth Hattons have been around longer that most model shops anyway.

PS love your Penhayle Bay layout.

Best regards

Craig.

As Tesco is killing off the High Street.....as will the likes of Hattons help to kill off the small model shop.........great pity...!!!

I NEVER use Hattons and similar for that very reason, preferring to support my local model shop, be it over 20 miles away and dearer.   Having visited Hattons, the experience was not in the same league as a local model shop......."cup of tea anyone"..???? 

That is just my opinion....but they obviously satisfy the needs for many, or else they wouldnt be where they are.

Bob

As Craig mentioned, Hattons IMHO can hardly be charged with killing-off local shops when they have been in business for as long as they have, must be close on 50 years??

I'd bet fully 80% or MORE of the local shops that have come and gone, have done that SINCE Hattons have been trading.

I've been buying from them since the early 80's, so that's 30+ years, and on the occasions I've shopped at "local" shops when back in the UK, many/most have been around far less time.

For me personally (and several others on RM) being overseas there really is no other choice - fat chance going into my "local" model shop for anything I need. Never visited their shop (Hattons) in person, as it's too far away from where I usually am in the UK, but other shops I've been in are a very mixed bag in what they have, how they cater to customers and how knowledgeable they are. My phone and online experience with Hattons is always excellent.

If you have a good/great local model shop by all means support it, but again IMHO labelling Hattons as some evil destroyer of those local shops isn't quite as fair or justified as some may like to suggest.

At the end of the day, any shop/business is not there for "tea and buns", but to provide product, service, and knowledgeable staff to enable them to make a profit, not necessarily in a club environment.

I'm sure a local place where you can have a natter and hang around is excellent, if they can make a living and include that all power to them, and I'd support them too if they were local to me.

As Craig mentioned, Hattons IMHO can hardly be charged with killing-off local shops when they have been in business for as long as they have, must be close on 50 years??

I'd bet fully 80% or MORE of the local shops that have come and gone, have done that SINCE Hattons  have been trading.

They cannot be wholly be charged with killing off the small local model shop.....but are guilty in some part because of the pricing policy they operate.   But its no different to Tesco.

Everyone makes their own choices where to shop, and whats important to them....price.? performance ? service ? etc.,

Just my opinion.................but let us not moan when most of the high street shops are closed, and we have no other option but Tescos and the internet.  I do use Tescos, and I do use the internet, but I do try hard to support the high street too.

Bob.

Does no one else find it takes Hattons five days at least to pack an order, they are always one of the the slowest in my experience.

As Tesco is killing off the High Street.....as will the likes of Hattons help to kill off the small model shop.........great pity...!!!

I NEVER use Hattons and similar for that very reason, preferring to support my local model shop, be it over 20 miles away and dearer.   Having visited Hattons, the experience was not in the same league as a local model shop......."cup of tea anyone"..???? 

That is just my opinion....but they obviously satisfy the needs for many, or else they wouldnt be where they are.

Bob

It's not Hattons that are killing off the smaller model shops, it is the reluctance of the Customer is using the smaller Modelling shop that is kill them off, I support a good number of model shops..Rhuddlan Models, The Loco Shed in Besses O'th Barn and Penketh Model Centre, these are all dependent on my travelling arrangements when visiting, but as I live where I do, model shops are very few and far between.

You could argue the that it is the fault of the Internet that is killing off the High St as a whole, it is just that the likes of Hattons, Tesco's etc etc have embraced the internet revolution to good effect.

PS I run a small business also, and we are also affected by internet purchases, so I know everything is not hunky dory.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

Does no one else find it takes Hattons five days at least to pack an order, they are always one of the the slowest in my experience.

Honestly, I have never had a slow posting experience with Hattons, I may be lucky, but in general, the emails tell me my order has been packed and dispatched by the end of the next working day.

I can't remember more than a two day delay between placing my order and receiving a "Picking List Packed" confirmation email from Hattons.  In my experience they ship orders out extremely quickly - far quicker than any of the multitude of other shops I've ordered from in the past.  And they charge considerably less than others for overseas postage, too.

Hattons also answer email enquiries quickly.  I can name at least one shop which does not, if at all.  The custom I used to give that shop I now give to Hattons.

Hattons also process refunds post haste.  In this regard I can think of several shops who have taken a much more casual approach with my money.  The custom I used to give to those shops I also now give to Hattons.

Hattons also always deducts VAT for overseas customers.  I can name one shop which did not.  As you can tell by the past tense that shop went out of business.

It's pretty easy for a shop to win over my business.  Give me a good selection of merchandise at a good price with no-hassle service.  Any shop which can do all that all the time gets my custom - and the benefit of the doubt from me when they happen to screw up (which Hattons has done a few times to me).  I regret I am not very sympathetic to any shop that can't master those basic fundamentals.  It's not brain surgery....or rocket science.

Matt

• Like 1