Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

[edit]

Obviously the Hattons staff didn't take the wagon out of the box and have a good look. So for us overseas perhaps "box shifters" isn't a bad description.

[edit[

I'm overseas as well, and I've had similar experiences with Hattons in this regard.  What I have done to mitigate it is to add to my correspondence (letter or email) a picture (sometimes I've even used Hattons very own pictures!) and clearly labled the area of the model I am telling them or equiring about.  This has actually worked quite well the two or three times I've done it.

Matt

I recently bought a Sony action cam and wanted a bogie well wagon to carry it round my railway. Looking on the Hattons website I found that Bachmann does a wagon 33-879A. It has a boiler in it, so clicking on the chat at the bottom right of screen I asked a Hattons staff member how easy it would be to detatch the boiler from the wagon. The girl on the other end said she new little about this but would go and find someone who knew a lot more about models.

Back came the answer, I would have  a great deal of trouble removing it as it seems to be molded as part of the wagon. I thought that sounds odd as Bachmann sells individual boilers.

So still at a loss I headed to my local model shop (40 miles away) and found they had exactly the same wagon. It would require a fillips head screw driver to remove one small silver screw and the boiler and it's supporting cradle comes free of the wagon.

Obviously the Hattons staff didn't take the wagon out of the box and have a good look. So for us overseas perhaps "box shifters" isn't a bad description.

I bought the wagon and the camera fits perfectly I tested the camera in the wagon at the shop which has a small demonstration layout with a tunnel with no problems whatsoever. I notified Bachmann. 

For a query such as that, to be honest you're better off posting the question on RMWeb!

Another plus one for their fantastic customer service.

They called me on Monday afternoon re my pre-order for the MLV, 2 minutes later everything was sorted, paid for at the pre-Bachmann price increase and then the parcel was received early Tuesday afternoon.

A big thumbs up!

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to get a couple of "bargain" items ordered that I have had my eye on for a while, before prices inevitably suffer a  Bachmann- induced hike.

Upon checkout this time I noticed the DHL option came up at only 2 pounds more than Royal Mail airmail. Usually, the latter is the most affordable option by far, although somewhat erratic in their delivery times (see previous posts). I opted for DHL, never having used them before and lured by the promise of delivery within 3 days of dispatch.

I'll let you know... ;-)

I've had/used the DHL option a few times, and to the US it is usually a 2-day delivery, faster than some local shipments :) ! If the diffference is "small" it's well worth paying it. Sometimes I only order a few points so the difference is maybe the cost of another point (or two) so I opt for the cheaper route. Even then I usually get Airmail in about 5 busniess days...

One from Christmas 2012 (at least I think it was)

A* customer service,

I was purchasing a Network Rail 57/3 and their website said they had some but when I tired to order there was non left.

Hattons tracked down one for me and had it sent out in time for Christmas!!

• Like 1

Very good service from Hattons and City Link for a pre-ordered Beyer Garratt which came into stock yesterday lunch time..  The item had been packed within two hours and City Link delivered it today (Saturday) at 08:15. It was sent by their Monday - Friday before 1730 service. Less than 40 minutes before delivery the on-line tracking web page indicated that delivery would be on Monday!

2 days. DHL took 2 days to get to the USA. Best. Service. Ever.

Only minor niggle was that Hattons contacted me after I placed my order (and paid) telling me that they needed to charge an extra fiver for postage as once they boxed up my items, it went into the next "category" with DHL...!

Either way, 2 days (posted Sunday, arrived today) is a new record by FAR!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. My order for the Bachmann Works Test Train and the two LMS Porthole coaches was sent out by Hattons yesterday at 15.20. I chose Royal Mail Special Delivery for these as always  -   we have an excellent service here in Beverley. Now, in spite of being one hour and twenty minutes late of the two o'clock deadline for this service(for next day delivery), the parcel arrived this morning at about eight thirty! That has to be remarkable service by both Hattons and the Royal Mail. Very pleased to say the least!

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

I must show my appreciation to Hattons for maintaining the original pre-order price on my order for Bachmann porthole coaches, in spite of a manufacturers price increase of over 40%. They have shown considerable goodwill to their customers by holding the ordered prices and it will not go unnoticed. I have many other pre-orders with them and I'm confident they will try and maintain the original order prices, but if they can't it will be due to exceptional circumstances. Many thanks Hattons, now awaiting the delivery.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with those making the point that box shifters (and I see nothing bad about the idea of box shifting stores) work on a high volume low margin model where the product could be pretty much anything. The boxes arrive, get sorted into orders for dispatch and they get sent back out. In my experience if you visit the actual stores of some of these shops the service is generally pretty good but their mail order business treats models as just another commodity and I wouldn't expect warehouse operatives etc to be on call to offer product advice. If you want the full service experience where a knowledgeable enthusiast will spend time to talk about what you want and offer good advice, be there to talk through any issues after you've gone home etc then you don't go to a box shifter, you go to a full service store and accept that this high level of service is built into the price. Model shops aren't charities and it is the livelihood of the shop proprietors and any staff they might have, you can't expect them to spend half an hour offering you advice and then to be there tomorrow to help salvage a disaster when you've botched fitting a detailing part or whatever and then also work on the sort of margins that the box shifters live with. They are two fundamentally different business models and you pay and take your choice. I've never had any problems with the shops in question, including Hattons, equally I recognise that if I buy mail order from them I'm buying a box, not a service. When I visit model shops I also recognise they can't match the prices of the likes of Hattons but that the service and advice is part of the deal in the higher price. This isn't just models, I buy most of my books from a well known on-line book store, they offer very quick dispatch, competitive prices and just about any book in print but I don't expect to get into e-mail exchanges offering advice on the latest book reviews or anything.

I agree with those making the point that box shifters (and I see nothing bad about the idea of box shifting stores) work on a high volume low margin model where the product could be pretty much anything. The boxes arrive, get sorted into orders for dispatch and they get sent back out. In my experience if you visit the actual stores of some of these shops the service is generally pretty good but their mail order business treats models as just another commodity and I wouldn't expect warehouse operatives etc to be on call to offer product advice. If you want the full service experience where a knowledgeable enthusiast will spend time to talk about what you want and offer good advice, be there to talk through any issues after you've gone home etc then you don't go to a box shifter, you go to a full service store and accept that this high level of service is built into the price. Model shops aren't charities and it is the livelihood of the shop proprietors and any staff they might have, you can't expect them to spend half an hour offering you advice and then to be there tomorrow to help salvage a disaster when you've botched fitting a detailing part or whatever and then also work on the sort of margins that the box shifters live with. They are two fundamentally different business models and you pay and take your choice. I've never had any problems with the shops in question, including Hattons, equally I recognise that if I buy mail order from them I'm buying a box, not a service. When I visit model shops I also recognise they can't match the prices of the likes of Hattons but that the service and advice is part of the deal in the higher price. This isn't just models, I buy most of my books from a well known on-line book store, they offer very quick dispatch, competitive prices and just about any book in print but I don't expect to get into e-mail exchanges offering advice on the latest book reviews or anything.

I absolutely agree with your sentiments....you pays your money, and takes your chance etc.,

Personally I prefer NOT to use the Hattons and Amazons of this world.......that said, I'm currently waiting for a Beyer Garratt from Hattons I have no choice)...and also a book about the Garratts from Amazon.

• RMweb Gold

Agreee....that said,though,Hattons do offer an online chat option. Haven't actually used it myself,I hasten to add.I  think you mentioned going to Liverpool to collect yours,didn't you.A wise decision,I think,given possible gremlins with the actual model plus the fact that they use Yodel.

• RMweb Gold

similarly i ordered some wagons on friday at 16:45 and they arrived monday morning via hattons standard £4 delivery, well impressed with the timescale, not so by yodel leaving them on the patio as i was out

• RMweb Premium

Agreee....that said,though,Hattons do offer an online chat option. Haven't actually used it myself,I hasten to add.I  think you mentioned going to Liverpool to collect yours,didn't you.A wise decision,I think,given possible gremlins with the actual model plus the fact that they use Yodel.

to avoid yodel just put royal mail only in the comments box when ordering

this is what I do having had yodel leave a parcel out in the rain

john

to avoid yodel just put royal mail only in the comments box when ordering

this is what I do having had yodel leave a parcel out in the rain

john

Hi 

I have done that.but still got sent by Yodel, did phone them and was told that they did not want to miss getting it to ASAP.

I had a Royal Mail secure delivery go astray this week, it wasn't a Hattons parcel but it went not only to a different post code to what was in the address but also the wrong road, someone signed for it with a different name. Luckily they were honest and walked the 1/2 mile to our road and posted it through our letterbox. Makes me think the postman signed it himself and dropped it through the wrong letterbox because he couldn't find our road and he didn't want the bother of returning it to the sorting office,

We might like to think the Royal Mail is best but they are a prone to error and bad practice just like the others.

I had a Royal Mail secure delivery go astray this week, it wasn't a Hattons parcel but it went not only to a different post code to what was in the address but also the wrong road, someone signed for it with a different name. Luckily they were honest and walked the 1/2 mile to our road and posted it through our letterbox. Makes me think the postman signed it himself and dropped it through the wrong letterbox because he couldn't find our road and he didn't want the bother of returning it to the sorting office,

We might like to think the Royal Mail is best but they are a prone to error and bad practice just like the others.

On the subject of parcel delivery. Just this afternoon had a parcel delivered by my hermes { not Hatton's related }. by a dodgey looking bloak you would not like to open the door to. A book box set i won on Ebay well packed by the seller but still arrived damaged in transit.Give me Royal Mail every time I have had a heck of a lot of parcels delivered and have sent by them with no problems what so ever over the years and am well pleased with there service and have never had a bad postman in the 20 years at my currant address

• Like 1

Guest 43300

Personally I prefer NOT to use the Hattons and Amazons of this world.......

Don't think you can really compare those two! Hattons may be one of the biggest suppliers in a niche market, but they are still relatively a small company.

• RMweb Gold

Give me Royal Mail every time I have had a heck of a lot of parcels delivered and have sent by them with no problems what so ever over the years and am well pleased with there service and have never had a bad postman in the 20 years at my currant address

Reminds me of humphrey littleton on im sorry i haven't a clue.....

"Id better not upset the royal mail, they know where i live............although thay haven't shown much evidence of that yet!"