RMweb

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

hmm... :read:

buy 1 R3332 BR King Stephen in BR Late Crest for £159.99 + £4 P&P

http://www.hattons.co.uk/91008/Hornby_R3332_Class_6000_King_4_6_0_King_Edward_VIII_in_BR_Late_Crest_Green/StockDetail.aspx

or maybe buy 2... for £179.. post free !

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43643/R3332-WSL-Hornby-King-Class-Steam-Locomotive-number-6029

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

One things for sure, there are very few (if any) bargains in the lists I’ve seen.

Hattons have never said that this "new-old stock"  would be a bargain bin.

As for it being Hornby concessions returns as mentioned elsewhere above - there are items from Heljan, Dapol and Bachmann in there.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One things for certain; there won't be any Hornby GWR Colletts from Fenwicks Newcastle - I cleared them out about 2 years ago!

CoY

Fenwicks don't do bargains any more, the shelf at the end selling old stock at 50% off is long gone.

Keith

If it is stock from Olivia's why are they still selling the same items?

Keith

Because Hattons don't have it all?

There is clearly a business relationship between Hattons and Olivia's - Hattons use Olivias Sound installations and Olivia's may be using Hattons to get it's stock sold.

A lot of people won't use Olivia's - I suspect a lot of RMWebbers read the Olivia's thread on here so may steer clear also a lot of people are probably more aware of Hattons that Olivia's so selling via the Hatton's website is increasing potential customers.

We're all looking too deeply into this, Hattons have some old-new stock to sell, there are items here that haven't been around for a bit so it is an opportunity for some people to get items they perhaps missed out on or really wanted but couldn't find.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

Its new "stock from somewhere else" that is not in the current catalogue, not secondhand or remaindered, being sold at more or less equivalent list prices.

I see one of the items on the Hattons page announcing the incoming stock is Hornby R3311 Schools "Westminster" at £120.  The last time Hattons had this model, they were selling it off for £74 and it had hung around at that price for some time. I bought one then as it was cheaper than the Railroad equivalent.  Its a nice model but has to be handled with some care as things fall off fairly easily!

If you're looking to get a new example of something you dithered over and missed a while ago, you may be in luck!

• RMweb Premium

Deja vu??

This looks and feels so much like the ‘computer glitch’ following their stock taking last Autumn, where a whole raft of phantom stock appeared on their website. I ordered some then, was assured that they had the stock, only to be told a couple of weeks later the stuff didn’t really exist.

It seems to be a lot of stock, must be from a big retailer if it is genuine.

Deja vu??

This looks and feels so much like the ‘computer glitch’ following their stock taking last Autumn, where a whole raft of phantom stock appeared on their website. I ordered some then, was assured that they had the stock, only to be told a couple of weeks later the stuff didn’t really exist.

It seems to be a lot of stock, must be from a big retailer if it is genuine.

It will be genuine, they put it in their news feed they have this old-new stock from somewhere.

I wonder if the stock is physically at hattons or if hattons are taking the money and olivias are sending the orders out

Funny you should say that.  I was watching the 76's.  I ordered a couple and watched the stock go down.  "9 left in stock".  A few hours later "more than 10 in stock".    I know we shouldn't take the stock levels quoted as gospel, but it was odd it went up.   Mine were reportedly dispatched the same day i placed the order.  What's also a little strange is why some of this stock is being sold at quite a bit less than Olivias.  If the idea was to help push sales through Hattons' perceived market draw, it seems strange to undercut the original seller by so much - you'd think they would just honour the same price.  

• RMweb Gold

Olivia's have been selling select examples of these and 77's on eBay about a week ago .....at greatly reduced prices.That has now ceased.

Speculation on the origin of this sudden and massive windfall of back....and current.....catalogue sequence of models is inevitable.One fact is certain and that is that Hattons appear to have substantial capital reserves.The Woodhead electrics are a "bargain ?" Little else is.No surprises there.

Olivia's have been selling select examples of these and 77's on eBay about a week ago .....at greatly reduced prices.That has now ceased.

Speculation on the origin of this sudden and massive windfall of back....and current.....catalogue sequence of models is inevitable.One fact is certain and that is that Hattons appear to have substantial capital reserves.The Woodhead electrics are a "bargain ?" Little else is.No surprises there.

And the selling ceased at the same time as the 77's went on sale at Hattons.  As you say Ian, speculation on all this is inevitable.  Chuffed with the two 76's I hoovered up - I'd wanted them for some time, but not at £160

I am utterly amazed at the volume and value of what has been released for sale on the Hatton's website.  How a business could hold that value of stock for so long without an effect to business is amazing! Cash is king and you price to the market that you are winning from sometimes taking a hit on profit to bring turnover through the door - I may be wide of the mark here, but it looks like that is what has happened. Margins are tight with little turnover of stock... Tohave over ten of everything including items such at the MML HST which was a slow seller when released is quite interesting.

It's good for the hobby if people want a second pop at RRP...

Edited by GEOEng03

And then in the middle of all those near RRP models were 1 4-CEP at £60 and several EPBs at the same price (all gone now).

The pricing strategy is all very odd, but I suppose as a seller you never open with your lowest price, put them in, see what sells then adjust down accordingly.

Which then again amazes me that they put up the Bachmann EMUs at £60 and there were only small numbers that were very likely to be hoovered up when compared against an RRP north of £180 now per item.

And then in the middle of all those near RRP models were 1 4-CEP at £60 and several EPBs at the same price (all gone now).

The pricing strategy is all very odd, but I suppose as a seller you never open with your lowest price, put them in, see what sells then adjust down accordingly.

Which then again amazes me that they put up the Bachmann EMUs at £60 and there were only small numbers that were very likely to be hoovered up when compared against an RRP north of £180 now per item.

I hoovered a 4CEP.  I've had my order confirmed but not that its been processed.  Normally it quickly follows

Edited by Ouroborus

• RMweb Premium

I am utterly amazed at the volume and value of what has been released for sale on the Hatton's website. 

Just had a look at the ever growing list.

Has someone opened up a sealed tunnel and found the fabled strategic reserve - but in model form?

Cheers,

Mick

I am resisting the urge to purchase a 3F Jinty and 3F tender in LMS - I have enough LSWR/GW stock I don't need SDJR as well.

This argument is just about holding together in my head, but a little voice is saying "but what if there was a quaint little seaside resort between Weymouth and Bournemouth, would it not have some SDJR prescence?"

There really is no hope for me, kid in a sweet shop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at the ever growing list.

Has someone opened up a sealed tunnel and found the fabled strategic reserve - but in model form?

Cheers,

Mick

I would guess it's the former Modelzone stock which has now been released given that there seems to be exclusive Modelzone stuff in the mix from what I read of some of the descriptions.

Izzy

I would guess it's the former Modelzone stock which has now been released given that there seems to be exclusive Modelzone stuff in the mix from what I read of some of the descriptions.

Izzy

We've established it isn't Modelzone as there is newer stuff, its from Olivia's Trains - they have lots of old limited editions etc in stock (including Modelzone any others)

• RMweb Premium

And indeed the windfall is now reaching biblical proportions.

AND it’s pay day omorrow. Hattons or Ally Pally? The budget probably won’t survive both.
  • Like 2