Professional photography

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Chris is coming to take photos of Abbotswood on Thursday!

I wonder if there are any experiences of professional photography that forum members might care to pass on please

Thanks in advance

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit obvious really but make sure the layout is clean. Dust and cobwebs won't impress Mr. Nevard or lead to the best results.

Chris is a Gent so I have no doubt you will enjoy the process and he always finds a new view/angle that you didn't expect.

Cheers

Dave

I was going to say 'put the kettle on'

as someone has already said, I imagine that just making sure the layout will run well and is presentable. Unlike an exhibition you can give things the odd poke, or place them in position, but, personally as a photographer I like to look through the camera as something moves and press the shutter when it's where it looks good, so things working would help that.

*i've not photographed many model railways, cars, steam trains and weddings are my normal subjects

• RMweb Gold

The layout don't have to work at all! Chris will spend all his time arranging your toy trains in interesting places and as has been said finding unusual angles for pics.

Enjoy the day, I'd love Chris to do a shoot of one of my layouts for MR, one day maybe. ......

all of the above plus make sure you have plenty of room clear around the layout..... tripods eat space and maintaining a nice perspective eats even more and whatever is left will get scoffed by lightstands, kitbags etcetc. Have a good one

• RMweb Gold

Nice ideas folks

We are setting up in local community centre so plenty of room there for Chris to work - we use the B&Q hire van for transport, only £14 for an hour at each end of the day much cheaper that whole day hire.

Was contemplating only the front scenic boards up and not bothering with the fiddle yard - so no running! - but will take Chris's guidance on that. Will see if the maid will perfom with the feather duster to eliminate dust and cobwebs hee hee THWACK ouch!

Any other hints very welcome !

Cheers

Phil

My avatar is a little scary (and I don't want to put Phil of at the 11th hour!), so too address this Mr PMP just sent me this photo at MODEL RAIL LIVE of one of his trainsets being given a dose of my famous bright yellow tickling stick. Dust, despite what some people say, doesn't really scale up 76 times too well, it tends to look like bird droppings when blown up to double page spread.

post-6681-0-13465900-1350422935.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee

Will take more than that to put me off - am used to to working with bits of fluff - as in fluff chucking, the derogatory term for my other passion - fly fishing for wild brown trout. Flytying is essestially making insect models to fool the fish so if G12 has fish eye function then maybe railway models are fulfilling a similar purpose.

But back on a modelling note when I have time I intend to explore my fly tying materials to see if I can come up with some fluffy house martins to sit on the Abbotswood telephone wires. Will be happy hour again if I succeed.... :sungum:

Wine gums it is then Chris - will fight you for the black ones

Phil

• RMweb Gold

You will be very pleased. When Matford was photographed for M.Rail we were surprised at how the layout looked with the professional touch.

This was one that Chris took of us at Scaleforum a couple of years ago.

post-6728-0-49313500-1350462766_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Soft southerners.

That's no good for cleaning, you need a nice quiet vacuum cleaner, I can lend you one if you like.

Mike.

Best not go there - in this house will precipitate an argument with aforementioned maid (AKA SWMBO) about modern dyson vs classic hoover.

Just ballasted Oxford line - waiting for glue to dry before spraying with track dirt so am about to implement a rigorous programme of inspection and elimination of white and/or shiny bits that might show up on photos. And theres the signals to finish, SW boards and replacement speed signs to replace those lost following well publicised and destructive shunt - is it ever finished? Oh and fencing.....

Matford looks super John - if we can get anywhere near that will be well pleased

Phil

Archived