Taunton Members Day April 2010

Captain Kernow

I hope you guys have a fabulous time, this is the second time I've had to let the Capt'n down well in advance due to existing commitments. Maybe next year......

Anyway, looking forward already to seeing photographs and reading comments on the day. Hopefully there'll be some good material for the obligatory caption competition too!

Have fun!

Chris

Currently watching Azamat wrestling Borat on Channel 4+1 (If you've seen the film you'll know what I mean...) and unwinding after work with a bottle of coke for an early night before the trip down tomorrow.

cheers

jo

Car's finally packed!!! I didn't realise how much space all this stuff takes up, also forgot how heavy it all is! For those none the wiser you'll have to wait and see B) (Unless you check the latest line up that is!)

Now time to get some shut eye and not worry about the contents of my car!

See you all tomorrow make that today! :D

Many thanks to thae Captain and his crew for organising yet another interesting show.

I have attached 4 pictures taken during my afternoon visit, which reflect my interests.

post-7071-127221113453_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127221125409_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127221131219_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127221140399_thumb.jpg

As usual a good selection covering a wide variety of interests gauges and scales.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Captain for organising. An extremely enjoyable day. It was great to put faces to names and have a good chat. Great layouts and pasties. Thanks to the young ladies serving the teas and coffees.

Thanks also to Andy Y.

I have posted a few photos.

post-7854-127221419982_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127221422244_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

On behalf of Cornishexcile & myself a huge thankyou to the good Captain and his team of helpers.

We had a brilliant day , it was nice to have the feel of social event with the bonus of layouts to look at ,

plenty of time to get to know and chat with the owners and operators without the feeling you were interupting them , met new people and re-met some we have met before .

Really nice to see Andy Y looking fairly relaxed considering all that he has been through in the past few

months , thanks for all the work you do in keeping this site a great place to be part of .

As already mentioned , the pasties were superb , and very filling . happy.gif

I only took a few photos as my camera is not the best in these circumstances , and as most of the layouts

have been seen on the site looking better than I could manage I took some of Brian Harraps amazing ZOB ,

having seen Quai 87 and the detail in that I was wondering how a 20+ year old layout would compare ,

the answer is , brilliantly .

So thanks to all for a great day , and here are a couple of very poor photos .

post-6765-127221612802_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127221616483_thumb.jpg

post-6765-12722161874_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127221620798_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127221622392_thumb.jpg

Had a really good day today

Hedges Hill behaved itself well today, and I had a good catch up and natter with lots of people.

Big thanks to all invlolved, and as the Good Captain has anounced a date - roll on 2011 laugh.gif

cheers

jo

Right thats Hedges Hill Cutting packed away after todays little soiree in Taunton.

Once again thanks to the good Captain for a cracking day, as normal. A HUGE thanks to CTMK and her 'crew' for womanning the kitchen and always smiling when serving our tea and lunch.

As all the others have said this is a great event for putting faces to 'monikers' and meeting old friends and just talking trains. Geoff and I spent a good 1/2 hour talking to John (RE6/6) and Rod (10800) about their completely barking idea for their Lewes based layout, I'm sure Mr.Harrup has got to them..........

It was great to see AndyY at the event and have a good natter to him and I think we all told him not to wait so long next time if the forum needs money, tell us before the money runs out!!!!!!

Anyway here's looking forward to next years event, the date is already in the diary, SWMBO has been informed to book that day off work.

Regards

Neal.

P.S. Sorry no photos from me, didn't get time to take any..........

• RMweb Gold

Well I staggered back eastwards weighed down by a rather nice looking sheet of glass (thanks to Coombe Barton and Andy Speedy Haulage) having been duly pastied and suitably refreshed by a couple of cups of tea.

Excllent day all round - major thanks to the good Cap'n of course for bringing it all together but thanks in almost as great a profusion to everyone who brought their trainsets for us mere punters to drool over and great - as ever at RMWeb events - to put a few more faces to electronic names. Oh, and a very pleasant Saturday evening convivial as well - nice pub with nice grub and good company.

Now to the pics - which might be an unmitigated disaster as the last two I published appeared in a different order from the way I added them which sort of made a doodah of the words. (this time they are at least in the right order - but not next to the relevant words - hmm, summat not quite right in the way I'm doing this methinks).

I shall start, I hope, with my entry for the caption competition with -

'I know everyone's asking for 0-6-0s this season but how on earth is Simon Kohler going to get this in a Hornby box (due apologies to Kempenfelt because it looks and no doubt goes as well as it looks).

Now to a whole series showing the action on Stu's marvellous Wheal Tiny

And the man himself - at left, with the good Cap'n to his left and Taz over on the right

Meanwhile John (RE6/6) was getting to grips with the Noch Grassmaster over in the demonstration area

Bracty Bridge was looking good - shame about the beer

Everybody looks, and rightly so, at Brian Harrap's incredible trackwork on ZOB but some of the traction is worth more than a glance too

And here endeth Part 1

post-6859-127221712574_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221725457_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221728644_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221731586_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221734445_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221742622_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221761042_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221768088_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221783402_thumb.jpg

A big thankyou to Tim and mery band of helpers it was an extremely pleasent way to spend a Sunday! Thanks too to Andy Y and especially the catering girlies! Finally a special thankyou to the chaps who helped me load and unload, I hope your backs survived the experience! :-)

Thanks for all the kind comments too btw, all very positive and much appreciated!

A superb line up of layout's and exhibitors too, you're going to have to do well to improve things Tim but i'm sure you've got a few cards up your sleve! :-D

Paul

• RMweb Gold

And so to part 2 - where hopefully the words at this end will mean something when you get to the pics at the other end.

At Melksham recently I had trouble getting near Cogirep let alone being able to see it (even with my specs on) so today was a big bonus in that respect. The pics are the first ones (well they were when added!) and are easy to recognise cos it's foreign (French version thereof).

Also foreign is Mozzer Model's rather fun trestle - complete, in this pic, with a very suitable loco, I do like Shays.

I also like Fisherton Sarum, and not a Shay in sight but various other delights.

And a nice bit of O Gauge (alas the Hymek fared not well on my little Fuji so all I dare show for this one is the 350 (Class 08 for younger readers).

Finally - and definitely not a caption competition (that will follow later) is the peculiar sight of Captain Kernow handing a plastic carrier bag to our esteemed leader. Andy did look a little worried at first, maybe he thought it was another pastie (and he'd already had one) but it was a little token of appreciation from RMWebbers present to thank him for keeping us off the streets and out of the pubs (most of the time). Thanks for all you've done for us of late Andy and all the hard work you've put in.

post-6859-127221818424_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221820833_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221830725_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221841934_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221844528_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221853541_thumb.jpg

post-6859-127221881108_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made it a thoroughly enjoyable day B) I must have been doing something wrong this time, I nearly finished the loco I was weathering!

Time to start building the layout for next years event... :blink:

As I can smell dinner cooking it has reminded me - the pasty and white chocolate chessecake were absolutely top notch, greatly appreciated

Dunno why everyone looked at me when cake was mentioned later in the day though...rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

A really enjoyable few hours spent having a good natter and putting some names to faces. A big thankyou to the good Cap'n and Andy for making it possible. Thanks also to the guys who showed me a few new tips and advice, cheers all, heres to next years SWAG 3Dcool.gif

Archived