Taunton Members Day April 2010

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

unsure.gif What, no DRAG test track, even if you leave the straight bits at home ?? biggrin.gif

Penlan

It would fill the hall if we brought that along! Perhaps some layouts could be set up inside the test track!?

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

An interesting line up here, very much looking forward to the day now we know what's going :)

I think Stu Hilton & Marc Smith are going to need a visit to the cloning service if they're running multiple layouts each....:blink:

• RMweb Gold

I have a cunning plan....

Stubby Jnr (aka Craig) will be there again to run Porth Byhan, and Stubby Senior (my Dad Neil) is flying in from Alicante especially to attend.

But all the layouts will be free to play with by anyone else attending.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I really think I should spend less time on here and more playing with ballast and plasticard. Ah well, Taunton ho!

I know the feeling, i had better find some items that want to be DCC'ed or i could just demo how to burn your fingers and not notice unsure.gif

If any one has anything that they would like to be DCC'ed i.e. a decoder fitted or lights installed or sound or just having problems with bits please bring them along and i will try and solve those problems that you have.

There will be a small charge for fitting BUT a donantion will be made to the running fund at the end of the day (if that is ok with Captian and Andy?? )

I have done work for fellow Rmwebbers before, marc from Hendre Lane for one (hope you don't mind me mentioning you Marc cool.gif )

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I know the feeling, i had better find some items that want to be DCC'ed or i could just demo how to burn your fingers and not notice unsure.gif

If any one has anything that they would like to be DCC'ed i.e. a decoder fitted or lights installed or sound or just having problems with bits please bring them along and i will try and solve those problems that you have.

There will be a small charge for fitting BUT a donantion will be made to the running fund at the end of the day (if that is ok with Captian and Andy?? )

I have done work for fellow Rmwebbers before, marc from Hendre Lane for one (hope you don't mind me mentioning you Marc cool.gif )

cheers

Simon

Simon - I'd like to get my 108 chipped, so if Ibring everything along I'd be VERY grateful of some help (I get the shakes just thinking about opening it up....)

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

not a problem. I have done a few so we can get yours up and running for you.

My last job was fitting tracking systems to cars, mostly ferraris. Aston, bently the list goes on so I don't have any problems about taking a couple of quids worth of model loco apart. Lol

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to coming up - this will be first SWAG meeting. Perhaps next year I will have something to bring, but this time just my camera!

I'm hoping to be there as well, see you there.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

only 11. Thats come around fast. Better find some stuff to bring down to do unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to it and meeting up with you Penlan.

Is the pub happening again on the Saturday night??

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Only 11 days !?! What?!?

Still, not much to do on Porth Byhan, just add the Brian Kirby uncouplers to several wagons, weather same, populate the harbour. For Wheal Tiny, build a new shed, ballast the track, add several small details..., complete the two locos, paint the new figures...

How long to go ??

No problems(!)

Stu

...Is the pub happening again on the Saturday night??

Well I shall be there anyway,

and if CK's got himself sorted this year for a very local B&B,

then it should be happening.

'spect instructions from the bridge will be coming forthwith :unsure:

Penlan

I am happy to announce the line-up for the RMWeb Members Day at Taunton on Sunday 25th April 2010.

The layouts appearing are as follows:

1) Graham Muzprat’s ‘Fisherton Sarum’ needs no further introduction on this forum! Graham’s wonderful, atmospheric 4mm Southern Railway shed-based layout makes a welcome appearance at Taunton this year.

2) ‘Hedges Hill Cutting’ – 2mm scale, courtesy of Bentley Model Railway Club. This compact but beautifully detailed 2mm layout is well known on the exhibition circuit and Bentley MRC are now a regular ‘fixture’ at our Taunton Members Days!

3) ‘Cogirep’ 3.5mm scale (HO) by Al Reynolds (Barry 10). Al writes: Cogirep is a small HO diorama depicting a rail-served industry on the outskirts of Paris, somewhere in the last thirty years. Goods trains arrive, are shunted into sidings for loading/unloading, and then depart again - all at a snail's pace. The layout is based around Peco track, kitbuilt and scratchbuilt buildings, and makes much use of weathered RTR rolling stock and diesel locomotives, from the likes of Roco and Piko. Cogirep was built over a period of one year between 2006 - 2007 but since then I have continued to modify it and add many more details. The aim is to capture the ambience of a claustrophobic city industry at dusk.

It's also due to appear in the April issue of Continental Modeller.

4) Brian Harrap is bringing another of his superb 3.5mm scale P87 layouts – ‘Multi-Gauge ZOB’. Be prepared to be amazed by the triple gauge interlaced track, all to ‘P’ standards, working overhead catenary and a train ferry! In the days before ‘Photoshop’, Brian once took this layout up onto Dartmoor to get some interesting back-drops for a Continental Modeller article!

5) Getting the nomination for probably the furthest travelled layout coming to Taunton this year is ‘Forks Trestle’ by Brian Moseby (Mozzer). This is a modular On30 layout based on American practice. More information can be found on RMWeb or here: http://mozzer-models...t/c1723581.html

6) ‘Porth Byhan’ – a super 4mm boxfile layout by Stu Hilton (Stubby47), which makes a welcome return to Taunton after first appearing here in 2009. But this time, it’s got company!

7) ‘Wheal Tiny’ – another layout of small proportions built by Stu Hilton, this time 7mm scale, narrow gauge – some of the buildings for this layout have appeared on the forum.

8) ‘Bracty Bridge’ (aka ‘Roath Minor’) – a 4mm ‘minimum space’ layout by Marc Smith, which has been documented on the forum previously. Last year, Marc brought his stunning ‘Hendre Lane’ and we are very much looking forward to this and his other offering in 2010!

9) Marc Smith’s superb ‘Clarbeston North', minimum-space 7mm layout – more information here: http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

10) Matthew Singleton (Modfather) of this forum, having had a chance conversation with me on Bristol TM one afternoon a few weeks ago, has decided to build a completely new 2mm layout, with the target of getting it ready specially for this Taunton Members Day! You can chart progress here http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

Displays, demonstrations and trade

Sandy Croall (Penlan) will be bringing a display cabinet featuring some of the lovely locos and rolling stock used on his EM gauge L&NWR layout ‘Penlan’

Phil Eakins will again be demonstrating the use of a Resistance Soldering Unit (RSU), and with a bit of luck might be using an item or two for his new 7mm layout as demonstration pieces!

Rod Cameron (10800) will again be unravelling the mysteries of Templot for the nervous or uninitiated

Martin McDermott (Pugsley) will be giving us a demonstration of his exceptional weathering skills

Simon 'Mr.S.corn78' will be demonstrating the 'dark art' (his words, not mine! wink.gif ) of DCC

Dave Harding of The Model Shop, Exeter will again be in attendance with a selection of new R-T-R, R-T-P and kits & bits

Catering

The ‘Ladies of SWAG’ will again be running our catering operation for us, with the usual ‘Taunton Pasty’ from The Captain’s local Devon farm shop again on sale, together with a range of cakes, drinks and other treats. A new main course delight this year, as an alternative to the pasty, is a superb home-made shepherds pie.

So, do please come along to Staplegrove Village Hall, Taunton on Sunday 25th April next. Opening times are 1000 to 1600 hrs. SWAG looks forward to seeing you!

Edit 23/3/10 - due to Jonty not now being able to bring layout

Edit 29/3/10 - due to Stu not being able to bring Polbraze

Oh, B####r, B####r, B####r... Cant you change it to the weekend after! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I am down there then, with a dirty great van, moving the parents.

Boo, Hiss Not Fair Etc.tongue.gif

Have a great day though.

• RMweb Gold

Well I shall be there anyway,

and if CK's got himself sorted this year for a very local B&B,

then it should be happening.

'spect instructions from the bridge will be coming forthwith unsure.gif

Penlan

I'll be there even if no-one else is biggrin.gif

I will be there as well but thought i would check unsure.gif laugh.gif

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I'll be there even if no-one else is :D

Same here, I am travelling down with Fisherton Sarum Saturday afternoon so will be looking forward to meeting up in the pub in the evening. I am sure the Captain will confirm the proposed timings soon.

See you then!

Archived