More class 66 for UK

• RMweb Premium

WNXX site is reporting that GBRF has bought some almost unused Dutch class 66 variants.

Makes a change to have some imports( 70099 and these 66's) instead of sending our stuff abroad!

http://www.wnxx.com/news/index.htm

Paul

When you say 'bought' do you actually mean GBRF actually own them outright rather than just having leased them. If so maybe its simply a way of getting rid of leased locos rather a increase in the total fleet size.

• 1 month later...

Well, they're very much here and on their way to Butterley as I type.

post-6712-0-19280300-1356097044_thumb.jpg

They have their TOPS numbers on them already; RH cabside.

post-6712-0-40382700-1356097350_thumb.jpg

I wonder whether they'll have the BEMAC type cluster as fitted to the most recent batches of 66s? It would make sense, unless there are some more mods to be done to them from European spec, aside from the obvious ones!

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether they'll have the BEMAC type cluster as fitted to the most recent batches of 66s? It would make sense, unless there are some more mods to be done to them from European spec, aside from the obvious ones!

That's a very interesting question Tim because technically they were presumably compatible for European interoperability standards and theoretically could run in this country subject to being in gauge (they are now it appears) and the addition of BR AWS/TPWS and a speedo reading in mph.

• RMweb Premium

They originally had an air-con box on top of the cab. These were removed to bring them in-gauge for the UK

There is an article in Modern Railways. Apparently GBRf haven't ruled out more 66s from Europe

Keith

EDIT: Dutch numbers: 20078968.004/006/007

That's a very interesting question Tim because technically they were presumably compatible for European interoperability standards and theoretically could run in this country subject to being in gauge (they are now it appears) and the addition of BR AWS/TPWS and a speedo reading in mph.

Looking at the various pictures (including my own), I can't help but wonder what there is in the way of spare parts like footsteps and even air horns. It'll be interesting to see how much they change too.

Am I right in thinking these have the smaller fuel tanks like the rest of the T2 series?

• RMweb Premium

I think it's safe to say they will be in addition to existing loco's - GBRf have been quite open about their desire for more 66's, especially following the loss of a loco on the WHL.

Chris

Was the one that ran into the land slip on the WHL written off??

I think even the low-emission variant of the 66 falls foul of the latest Euro-standards so can't be built any more.  Meeting these standards tends to involve quite a lot of extra kit and therefore could well be quite a big change to design with possibly loss of more fuel tank to keep the weight within limits.  Emissions mitigation usually and ironically increases fuel consumption so there is a double whammy on operating range.  Probably EMD would need quite a big order to justify making these changes.  With the diesel loco market probably close to saturation and competitors such as Vossloh and GE making inroads this may be unlikely. 

Incidentally am I right in thinking that the locos in the OP are the original non-low-emission versions?  While these are available they would probably be cheaper to buy/lease (second hand) and cheaper to operate than new build. 

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally am I right in thinking that the locos in the OP are the original non-low-emission versions?  . 

They have the larger radiator grille and 5 door layout of the UK low-emission locos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37271_37418/8296383155/in/photostream/

Cheers,

Mick

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, supposed to be 8 brand new machines from EMD...

And there's vague murmurings about another 15 for Network Rail contracts/other users........

Yellow shed anyone?

post-408-0-85765300-1377021774.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Archived