Weathering with ink and weathering powders - O Gauge Ruston 48DS

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Peter

thanks for that I will hunt some down -both our Range and Hobbycraft shops are the other side of Leeds so it may take a special trip out - but the effects they give look really good.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

i am weathering a GC fish van which has a plain roof with no rain strip or vents for gunk to deposit around, any suggestions for how to achieve a convincing look on the totally smooth surface?

Thanks

Richard

Richard

I would suggest a gentle wash of black ink (in my case Rotring but any non acrylic ink will do) mixed to the colour you want with water (the less ink the lighter the dirt)  Put a dollop along the centre line of the roof then work it over the roof - downwards from the  centre suing a piece of foam - like with the loco above... I haven't had a good photo of the roof of a van so can't say if it needs central added soot or not..  Hope this helps

Baz

Hi Barry. Hope this is ok to post on here. This was my first attempt at weathering a tanker, the way I usually do it. As you can see the results are rubbish.  :scratchhead:I used Gloss coat for the oil and I can't get it off. I plan to bring this wagon with me to Swindon be a test piece on Saturday. I was just wondering would this be able to be improved on, using your technique ?  :scratchhead: Please delete this post if not appropriate.  

Callum

post-20663-0-93498800-1410462948_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-00863500-1410462956_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-37031500-1410462962_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-40560100-1410462969_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Callum

I think you can get this back to what you want it to be... lets have a crack at it when you come along. Have you got a decent colour photo of one of these?  If you have fetch it along.

Best regards

Barry

• RMweb Premium

Callum

I think you can get this back to what you want it to be... lets have a crack at it when you come along. Have you got a decent colour photo of one of these?  If you have fetch it along.

Best regards

Barry

I'd love to see some pics and how-to on here if possible as I've got 3 Esso Tanks (black) that will need some appropriate weathering at some point.

Enjoy the weekend.

Best wishes

Polly

Edit - lost the weekend bit at the bottom of the page.  Re-inserted.

Edited by southern42

Had an amazing time at the Swindon Railway Festival Yesterday!  :locomotive: Must say I learn so much in such a short space of time! I took along with me my disastrous first attempt at a tanker wagon, a Bachmann TTA which I had a go on. After a couple of hours having a go look wagon improved tenfold! Even managing to improve the awful oil stain! Will be sure to give it another go when I have another tanker to have a go at.   :sungum:

Thanks Barry for all the help!

post-20663-0-33246400-1410725399_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-46640700-1410725408_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-42592600-1410725417_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-23448600-1410725425_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-52256300-1410725432_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-37165900-1410725443_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-63217200-1410725452_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-48148800-1410725468_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-07902600-1410725492_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Callum...but you did it .. with very little input from me ..along with several other people as well as 3 other RMWebbers who had a go....I enjoyed your work greatly.

And The Stationmaster started with an idea which we can now follow up  for insides of coal wagons... more shortly!

Baz

a bit tired after a nice weekend but a long drive back...

PS aren't RMWebbers great to talk to when they are there at a show!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see some pics and how-to on here if possible as I've got 3 Esso Tanks (black) that will need some appropriate weathering at some point.

Enjoy the weekend.

Best wishes

Polly

Edit - lost the weekend bit at the bottom of the page.  Re-inserted.

Polly

I have some more tank wagons (black, oil for the carrying of) to weather shortly (for me!) and will try and do some photos as I do them...or could this be a Warley job??

Great weekend with lots of people stopping to have a go/chat/enjoy themselves!

Some great Broad Gauge layouts (bit too clean for me) and my exhibition mojo is returning just in time for Leeds and Warley!

Barry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And The Stationmaster started with an idea which we can now follow up  for insides of coal wagons... more shortly!

Baz

a bit tired after a nice weekend but a long drive back...

PS aren't RMWebbers great to talk to when they are there at a show!

Hope you've now caught up with your voice Baz (or it's caught up with you), definitely suffering from the best part of two days of explanation and demo talk by yesterday afternoon so I hope it's rested.

Stealing a little bit of thunder on the mineral wagon front but probably not half a quarter as professional as the job Baz will do, and he'll explain how far better than I ever could, here's where we got started on the idea.  It's based on spending some time of my working life looking down on the interiors of empty coal wagons and the way that life had treated them.  First off any paint that ever was on the interior is fairly rapidly worn away and replaced by rust.  what then happens is that subsequent loads of coal form a patchy veneer (for want of a better word) over what has become a basic colouring of rust.

In the pic below (very much a first effort at trying to capture this effect) most of the left end of the wagon interior has acquired the rust - Baz will explain how that's done.  The right hand end has acquired the coal 'veneer', or 'staining', on top of the rust with patches of rust colouring showing through.  The middle bit is, I think, where I went a bit too far with adding the black and there's not so much rust while another thing to bear in mind is that the door was often used as a shovelling plate by coal merchants so wouldn't have so much on the way of old rust.  Over to the expert ...

A final thing - which I didn't really touch on yesterday with Baz - is that empty coal wagons were usually 'clean', i.e there were no lumps of coal left in corners as the coal merchants were 'carefigvul' folk and what sat in the corners was more profit!  Things weren't quite the same with wagons tippled at power stations etc and wet small coal and dust could collect  and build-up in the corners of the wagon until it was cleaned.  Wagon cleaning - now there's an idea for modelling!

post-6859-0-32389400-1410790595_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is a good one Pete.  If they are for me and only for me perhaps a waft of a soldering iron near to the plastic sides (or even a warmed up piece of shaped brass bar.. might just do the trick... depends on the wall thickness.. will add this to my pile of experiments.. So far these are

1  follow up on Stationmasters ideas re coal dust over rust ( I may have further news on that this week)

2  how to get pre-coloured D&RGW box cars (in brown) to look "sun dried"

3  Black tankers (for Polly)

4  Wall dents - I have seen this done with a soldering iron, a hammer and a round headed punch etc so have something to start with..

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A final thing - which I didn't really touch on yesterday with Baz - is that empty coal wagons were usually 'clean', i.e there were no lumps of coal left in corners as the coal merchants were 'carefigvul' folk and what sat in the corners was more profit!  Things weren't quite the same with wagons tippled at power stations etc and wet small coal and dust could collect  and build-up in the corners of the wagon until it was cleaned.  Wagon cleaning - now there's an idea for modelling!

Thanks for that Mike. As most of my wagons are used on Mike Edges layouts Cwmafon and Herculaneum Dock they are tippled (indeed on Cwmafon a working tippler is used to tipple the coal into the steelworks bunkers for coking) but yes, in hand shovelled wagons it would  be a lot cleaner - I suppose it may just be a pattern of rust/ dust like we are working on??

baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mike. As most of my wagons are used on Mike Edges layouts Cwmafon and Herculaneum Dock they are tippled (indeed on Cwmafon a working tippler is used to tipple the coal into the steelworks bunkers for coking) but yes, in hand shovelled wagons it would  be a lot cleaner - I suppose it may just be a pattern of rust/ dust like we are working on??

baz

As long as they were in any sort of coal traffic then yes - interior would be the rust/coal 'veneer' situation.  When they were used in other traffics this changed as the wagons would in some instances be cleaned (internally) first - thus any going for sugar beet would be cleaned out internally and any caked on coal on the sides would usually be knocked off (not always) but the interior until loaded with beet would be basically black on rust, then loaded with beet plus mud (if the weather was wet) but cleaned out on discharge so back to rust with a coal veneer - but probably a bit more rust showing.

Wagons in scrap traffic tended to get their interior cleaned by the stuff they were carrying so some of the coal veneer undoubtedly came off.  Wagons going from scrap traffic to coal were supposed to be cleaned first but that didn't always happen (cleaning was a private enterprise job in the 1970s and probably had been earlier) but if they were not cleaned nasty things could happen - like a steel casting going into the reclaim (archimedes screw I believe) system under the tippler at Uskmouth power station and fairly comprehensively wrecking it due to the wagon not being properly discharged of its scrap load and not being checked when loaded at a pit.

Edited by The Stationmaster

but if they were cleaned nasty things could happen - like a steel casting going into the reclaim (archimedes screw I believe) system under the tippler at Uskmouth power station

Did you mean to say "but if they were NOT cleaned nasty things could happen - like a steel casting going into the reclaim (archimedes screw I believe) system under the tippler at Uskmouth power station" ?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Did you mean to say "but if they were NOT cleaned nasty things could happen - like a steel casting going into the reclaim (archimedes screw I believe) system under the tippler at Uskmouth power station" ?

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith - the perils of editing a post alas - I altered something else in that sentence before posting and somehow lost the 'not'; duly corrected thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay - crust earning has been taking place!!

Polly - I have to find my black tankers as I think Mile Edge has them for Herculaneum (next show Southport)

Stationmaster Mike..

first up some Vac fitted 21T minerals..

post-7650-0-53063700-1411648298_thumb.jpg

and a bit of rust inside

post-7650-0-74973900-1411648720_thumb.jpg

and then some "coal" added..

post-7650-0-34531100-1411648760_thumb.jpg

its getting there - less ink and "coal" added so rust shows through...

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been a busy week and its only Tuesday..

yet more wagons completed. First up some LM and LNE fish vans in Bauxite..

post-7650-0-96296700-1412096131_thumb.jpg

and a Bogie Bolster A

post-7650-0-93164500-1412096246_thumb.jpg

and finally..

Dornoch Firth - built by Mike Edge, painted by Coachmann a long time ago 

post-7650-0-74421900-1412096316_thumb.jpg

and some more details of the motion work

post-7650-0-47709800-1412096360_thumb.jpg

enjoy!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

Mike,

Ta very much . Might need some darker rust .. but I have run out ..

Baz

Very good Baz.

Do you own a so called Blender Brush? Or tried one to smooth transitions inside the wagons for example? 

I’m always browsing the "make up” sections of Phamracies (yes, I ignore any comments) They have some great cheap Blender Brushes!

Keep up the good work, you appear to have infinite patience (I’m a lousy teacher)...

Best, Pete.