Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Unfortunately the A2 has been going through some troubles since I converted it to DCC, could just be she doesn’t like my layout so I didn’t bring her along, however I did my famous Commonwealth of Australia, she’s a bit of a mascot to me every time I’m over. There’s another surprise that I think you might all like, but it’s not what you may expect. Unless I get the A2 posted over?

I do have my GoPro and I also brought a Nikon of my mate for 300$, which works wonders.

I am not as superior with filming as Tom is, but I will try my best, a simple train driver will do me fine, happy to be apart of the day.

Thanks Jesse,

Unfortunately, Tom can't make it. So, it'll be up to you and me to do the filming! 

Unfortunately the A2 has been going through some troubles since I converted it to DCC, could just be she doesn’t like my layout so I didn’t bring her along, however I did my famous Commonwealth of Australia, she’s a bit of a mascot to me every time I’m over. There’s another surprise that I think you might all like, but it’s not what you may expect. Unless I get the A2 posted over?

I do have my GoPro and I also brought a Nikon of my mate for 300$, which works wonders.

I am not as superior with filming as Tom is, but I will try my best, a simple train driver will do me fine, happy to be apart of the day.

My dear boy,

I hope you mean 'a part' of the day (two words).

As you've written it, it could be inferred that you won't be there! 

• Like 2

May I make a list of suggestions, to all, please? 

1. The most-appropriate loco for every train.

2. No non-weathered locos for any of the pictures. 

3. As thorough a test of every loco/train as is practicable before filming begins.

4. Where possible kit-built/modified locos to be used instead of straight-from-the-box proprietary ones. 

5. The operator of the fiddle yard knowing what he's doing. Since I'll be doing the filming (I assume?), then it can't be me. Jonathan's probably best, judging by his expertise in operating one of the ends on Grantham. 

6. That a good (even great) time is had by all!

Regards,

Tony. 

You forgot..

7. LAMPS!!!!

:P

Graeme

Is it possible to straighten the front vacuum pipe on the J41 on the M&GN before you take anymore photos - why do we only notice such things when we look at photos? I note also that Valour's livery is not quite correct as the LNER for some reason appear not to have lined around the cab windows on the exGC side window B3s

Andrew

Well spotted. Regarding the J41, I've already requested that others nag me into overdue removal of the battering ram on the front (the bar remaining from the tension lock coupling) but the vac pipe isn't so easily altered. It isn't just bent over, its whole length was fitted securely to the buffer beam at that oblique angle, with paint and lining applied afterwards because two decades ago when I converted the model I followed a picture of the loco standing outside Stratford works, fresh from overhaul, with paint looking barely dry and very shiny. It now seems likely that the vac pipe had only been moved over to that angle to facilitate work on the loco, but....study of both the picture and the model at the time suggested to me that the vac pipe if upright was tall enough to hinder opening of the smokebox door.

I've found that all my pictures of the B3s with side window cabs suggest no lining around the windows, but it has been suggested to me that other pictures tell a different story. Not my loco so not my immediate worry, and if I eventually build a B3 myself it will have the plain cab with cut-out - which neatly avoids the need to settle the window lining question.

I'm enjoying this retro session (or at least the run up to the big day). It just shows what a lovely camaradarie their is.around. Just a thought though? Going back in time like this, would it be possible to go monochrome with the pictures just to get a bit more of the feel of the period - not that I don't like the colour.

Stewart

• Like 1

I'm enjoying this retro session (or at least the run up to the big day). It just shows what a lovely camaradarie their is.around. Just a thought though? Going back in time like this, would it be possible to go monochrome with the pictures just to get a bit more of the feel of the period - not that I don't like the colour.

Stewart

Stewart,

Any colour photo, combined with image processing software, can become a B&W (greyscale) image; it's the work of seconds.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I note also that Valour's livery is not quite correct as the LNER for some reason appear not to have lined around the cab windows on the ex GC side window B3s which is contrary to what they did to all other green locos - I do realise that this Mike Edge's loco.

More to the point, it's Larry Goddard's paint job. I shan't be changing it.

There are a few anomalies on the loco - Mike tells me he built it in 1988, so there's been plenty of time for it to be messed with. It had also been well used, if the filthy state of the wheels was telling the right story. There's some touching up on the wheels which definitely isn't Larry, one former owner has got PVA down the tender side when coaling it and when I acquired it all the handrails were silver. I've repainted the handrails (but missed the smokebox wheel) and now I've found the side-on 1938 colour photo I was looking for I know that the reversing rod also needs to be green.

It needs a snifting valve behind the chimney and the box for the water scoop linkage is now also awaiting fitting. It should have the long ash ejector pipe in 1938 but that's just a bit too much work to risk the paint job for. I'll just paint the short one black.

Gorton didn't put white lining round the green panels on the tender flares either and those are correctly shown.

Any colour photo, combined with image processing software, can become a B&W (greyscale) image; it's the work of seconds.

As I have just proved in under 5 minutes.

post-145-0-54087600-1533199311_thumb.jpg

Edit - I should have said that this was done with a free online package.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I had the great privilege of visiting LB on Tuesday and assisted in the testing whilst taking some pictures; thank you Tony and Mo as ever for your faultless hospitality.

Unfortunately not all of my photographic efforts were successful as I was trying to be too clever and use 'focus stacking', having managed this very successfully recently at Pendon under Andy York's excellent tutelage (see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122547-postcards-from-pendon/?p=3210797 et seq.). Nevertheless here is what I have:

post-14629-0-01320800-1533196889_thumb.jpg

I just loved this coal train - the variety of wagons and the excellent weathering; if you click to get a larger picture you should find this image in focus from front to back - it is a composite of 17 exposures. Forgive my shoddy editing at the back where I was too lazy to go around each part of the exquisite lattice signal posts! As Tony knows, there is also a burnt out area just above the 2nd & 3rd wagons as the sun was impossibly bright.

Here is a shot of No.4472 and train - I'd echo Tony's comment that the un-weathered loco with plastic coal and no crew just doesn't look right against it's superb train; this is a single shot and the difference in clarity towards the back end of the train is obvious:

post-14629-0-16535300-1533197330_thumb.jpg

Again, I just loved this down freight for the variety of wagons and vans, and for the way in which each was beautifully weathered; this is a composite of 90 pictures but was still not enough to provide clarity at the back of the shot!:

post-14629-0-06653100-1533199722_thumb.jpg

I left feeling that I had been most privileged to have a preview of what will I am certain be an amazing event.

If I may say, however, I do feel Tony that you need to speak to the rolling stock providers about the very limited provision of Southern Railway vehicles! :nono: 

Some more vans and especially examples of the ubiquitous long wheelbase PMV's and CCT's would be most welcome - and appropriate!

(Of course I speak as a Southern afficionado!). :mail:

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

When all the retro stuff has been put away and before all mine has been put back on, why not arrange to bring some of your modern trains along for a photo-shoot? I'd be delighted, though I'm not demolishing Little Bytham Station (closed 59 years ago!) just for the sake of authenticity. 

Hello Tony

Thank you for the offer. My problem is, well one of my problems, having built my locos to run(?) on depot layouts I don't have the stock for them to pull. Plus if you were to see the wheels they have rotating under them........

• Like 1

.....very limited provision of Southern Railway vehicles!

I hope you noticed the scratchbuilt LSWR bogie bolster and the ex-LSWR van in the weedkilling train? At least one other outside framed LSWR van, a round end LBSCR open, and SECR open and SR cattle wagon spring to mind. Southern stock wasn't very common except, well, on the Southern.

More seriously, although the Southern PMVs and CCTs are everywhere in post-nationalisation pictures, as they were clearly very popular, I can't bring to mind any examples in the prewar ECML photos I've looked at.

• RMweb Gold

I hope you noticed the scratchbuilt LSWR bogie bolster and the ex-LSWR van in the weedkilling train? At least one other outside framed LSWR van, a round end LBSCR open, and SECR open and SR cattle wagon spring to mind. Southern stock wasn't very common except, well, on the Southern.

More seriously, although the Southern PMVs and CCTs are everywhere in post-nationalisation pictures, as they were clearly very popular, I can't bring to mind any examples in the prewar ECML photos I've looked at.

Jonathan

I certainly did notice those excellent vehicles, also the ferry-boat vehicles; I am a great admirer of your work and follower of your thread.

I suppose I just felt that when set against LMS & GWR, SR was under-represented, but that may indeed be prototypical - I don't look at many pre-nationalisation LNER pictures!

Best wishes

Tony

I had the great privilege of visiting LB on Tuesday and assisted in the testing whilst taking some pictures; thank you Tony and Mo as ever for your faultless hospitality.

Unfortunately not all of my photographic efforts were successful as I was trying to be too clever and use 'focus stacking', having managed this very successfully recently at Pendon under Andy York's excellent tutelage (see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122547-postcards-from-pendon/?p=3210797 et seq.). Nevertheless here is what I have:

attachicon.gifLJP2018-08-02 08-16-44 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)02180731.jpg

I just loved this coal train - the variety of wagons and the excellent weathering; if you click to get a larger picture you should find this image in focus from front to back - it is a composite of 17 exposures. Forgive my shoddy editing at the back where I was too lazy to go around each part of the exquisite lattice signal posts! As Tony knows, there is also a burnt out area just above the 2nd & 3rd wagons as the sun was impossibly bright.

Here is a shot of No.4472 and train - I'd echo Tony's comment that the un-weathered loco with plastic coal and no crew just doesn't look right against it's superb train; this is a single shot and the difference in clarity towards the back end of the train is obvious:

attachicon.gifSJPP731009402180731.jpg

Again, I just loved this down freight for the variety of wagons and vans, and for the way in which each was beautifully weathered; this is a composite of 90 pictures but was still not enough to provide clarity at the back of the shot!:

attachicon.gifLJP2018-08-02 09-34-28 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)02180731.jpg

I left feeling that I had been most privileged to have a preview of what will I am certain be an amazing event.

If I may say, however, I do feel Tony that you need to speak to the rolling stock providers about the very limited provision of Southern Railway vehicles! :nono:

Some more vans and especially examples of the ubiquitous long wheelbase PMV's and CCT's would be most welcome - and appropriate!

(Of course I speak as a Southern afficionado!). :mail:

Tony

Thanks ever so much for posting these, Tony,

You are always most-welcome as you know, and thanks once more for your most-generous donation to CRUK. 

As for focus stacking, though Andy York did show me (pearls before a swine!), I honestly, in my case, cannot see the point. That said, as you mentioned, getting hold of a micro lens these days is very difficult, especially one which stops down to less (or is that more?) than F32. I hope mine keeps going. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

I just need put on record what's just occurred before my memory crumbles further. 

I've just bought a Panasonic camcorder from Currys/PC World in Stamford. It's our most convenient store for that sort of thing. Since I've no intention of becoming a video professional, on the advice of a friend, I went for an 'entry-level' type - in excess of £200; certainly not the best, but of reasonable quality for my needs. 

On entering the store, my wife and I were greeted with 'High guys, how can we help' by two youths. Though Mo was wearing jeans, there is no doubt that she's not a guy! ' We're here to help' was the message on badges and on signs. Good, thought I.

Mo had done some internet research, and the type of camcorder was on display.

'May I see it demonstrated, please?'

'We don't have the batteries for them because they get nicked' was the reply.

'Do you have a spare battery, please?'

'Yeah, I'll get it'. 

After some little time, the spotty youth returned, but the battery didn't fit. It was tried in another camera, which it did fit, but the battery was dead. Another youth appeared.

'We're not allowed to test mobile phones' he said.

''I'm not buying a mobile phone'. 

'Oh sorry, I got confused'. 

'You (all) seem to be easily confused' I opined. Cue puzzled look. 

'I'm interested in the camera, so may I see what it comes with, please?'

'We're not allowed to open the boxes. Anyway, it's all on the packaging'. 

'Good, so it comes with a battery charger then?'

'Yeah, oh wait a minute, the pictures on the box show optional extras' .

'Can you charge the battery and show me on the display camera, please?' The display camera, by the way, had an alarm which immediately went off when the first youth picked it up. I won't mention his first name, but, in my day, it would have been a surname!

'Sure, it'll be about half an hour. Anyway, you don't need a battery charger because it can be charged by a lead straight into the mains'.

'What do I need for that, please?' 

'Oh, you need a special plug'. 

'Don't worry' said a further youth. They only cost a couple of quid'. 

While the battery was being charged, Mo and I went for a coffee in a delightful new eating house in Ryhall Road (the ex-Post Office; thoroughly-recommended). 

On our return, lo and behold, the camera was working. 

'How do I focus-manually, please?' I asked. 

I was shown.

'It doesn't seem to focus closely on zoom' I said, as I pointed it towards a notice on the desk. 

'Why would you want to do that?' said a further youth. 

After fiddling, I think I got the hang of it, so bought it.

'I'll have the adapter as well, if I may, please?'  

'That'll be £7.99'.

'I thought you said it was two quid' said Mo. 

'We don't have anything that cheap'. 

Throughout all this, I was constantly asking them to repeat what they said. Though my ears are old (older than their grandparents' ears, probably) they still work well. Their diction was awful, their pronunciation equally so and their annunciation garbled. 

On the desk was a sign asking 'How did we do today? Please mark us 10 out of 10'. 

I felt like I was back in school. Teaching 3C!

What does all the above prove, if anything? Though I bought the camcorder, it was in spite of rather than because of the service I've just received. They smiled a lot, but is this the modern shop proprietor's way? None had tattoos or body piercings, but I'd have gladly accepted those features if the wearers had expertise.

We'll see how I get on with the filming..................... 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

Thanks ever so much for posting these, Tony,

You are always most-welcome as you know, and thanks once more for your most-generous donation to CRUK. 

As for focus stacking, though Andy York did show me (pearls before a swine!), I honestly, in my case, cannot see the point. That said, as you mentioned, getting hold of a micro lens these days is very difficult, especially one which stops down to less (or is that more?) than F32. I hope mine keeps going. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good afternoon Tony,

A request and a querie if you please, The captions that provide information about each train seems to have come to a halt, more details would be most appreciated.  For example, what is the train behind 6165? Also, what is the time period being represented? I assume 6165 represents the early 1920's when the loco was allocated to KX and Copley Hill?

More to the point, it's Larry Goddard's paint job. I shan't be changing it.There are a few anomalies on the loco - Mike tells me he built it in 1988, so there's been plenty of time for it to be messed with. It had also been well used, if the filthy state of the wheels was telling the right story. There's some touching up on the wheels which definitely isn't Larry, one former owner has got PVA down the tender side when coaling it and when I acquired it all the handrails were silver. I've repainted the handrails (but missed the smokebox wheel) and now I've found the side-on 1938 colour photo I was looking for I know that the reversing rod also needs to be green.It needs a snifting valve behind the chimney and the box for the water scoop linkage is now also awaiting fitting. It should have the long ash ejector pipe in 1938 but that's just a bit too much work to risk the paint job for. I'll just paint the short one black.Gorton didn't put white lining round the green panels on the tender flares either and those are correctly shown.

Hi Jonathan

I'd forgotten its actually your loco. I had noticed the smokebox wheel and handle in silver. I think the tender, which is a standard 4000 gallon tender on this model, looks too small, the top of the side coping plates (which are correctly not lined as you pointed out) should be virtually level with the bottom edge of the cab roof but are significantly lower than that which is a bit strange. The base plate of the tender lines up with the engine's footplate ok. Still its a nice loco all the same!

Andrew

I just need put on record what's just occurred before my memory crumbles further. 

I've just bought a Panasonic camcorder from Currys/PC World in Stamford. It's our most convenient store for that sort of thing. Since I've no intention of becoming a video professional, on the advice of a friend, I went for an 'entry-level' type - in excess of £200; certainly not the best, but of reasonable quality for my needs. 

On entering the store, my wife and I were greeted with 'High guys, how can we help' by two youths. Though Mo was wearing jeans, there is no doubt that she's not a guy! ' We're here to help' was the message on badges and on signs. Good, thought I.

Mo had done some internet research, and the type of camcorder was on display.

'May I see it demonstrated, please?'

'We don't have the batteries for them because they get nicked' was the reply.

'Do you have a spare battery, please?'

'Yeah, I'll get it'. 

After some little time, the spotty youth returned, but the battery didn't fit. It was tried in another camera, which it did fit, but the battery was dead. Another youth appeared.

'We're not allowed to test mobile phones' he said.

''I'm not buying a mobile phone'. 

'Oh sorry, I got confused'. 

'You (all) seem to be easily confused' I opined. Cue puzzled look. 

'I'm interested in the camera, so may I see what it comes with, please?'

'We're not allowed to open the boxes. Anyway, it's all on the packaging'. 

'Good, so it comes with a battery charger then?'

'Yeah, oh wait a minute, the pictures on the box show optional extras' .

'Can you charge the battery and show me on the display camera, please?' The display camera, by the way, had an alarm which immediately went off when the first youth picked it up. I won't mention his first name, but, in my day, it would have been a surname!

'Sure, it'll be about half an hour. Anyway, you don't need a battery charger because it can be charged by a lead straight into the mains'.

'What do I need for that, please?' 

'Oh, you need a special plug'. 

'Don't worry' said a further youth. They only cost a couple of quid'. 

While the battery was being charged, Mo and I went for a coffee in a delightful new eating house in Ryhall Road (the ex-Post Office; thoroughly-recommended). 

On our return, lo and behold, the camera was working. 

'How do I focus-manually, please?' I asked. 

I was shown.

'It doesn't seem to focus closely on zoom' I said, as I pointed it towards a notice on the desk. 

'Why would you want to do that?' said a further youth. 

After fiddling, I think I got the hang of it, so bought it.

'I'll have the adapter as well, if I may, please?'  

'That'll be £7.99'.

'I thought you said it was two quid' said Mo. 

'We don't have anything that cheap'. 

Throughout all this, I was constantly asking them to repeat what they said. Though my ears are old (older than their grandparents' ears, probably) they still work well. Their diction was awful, their pronunciation equally so and their annunciation garbled. 

On the desk was a sign asking 'How did we do today? Please mark us 10 out of 10'. 

I felt like I was back in school. Teaching 3C!

What does all the above prove, if anything? Though I bought the camcorder, it was in spite of rather than because of the service I've just received. They smiled a lot, but is this the modern shop proprietor's way? None had tattoos or body piercings, but I'd have gladly accepted those features if the wearers had expertise.

We'll see how I get on with the filming..................... 

Dear Tony,

PC World /Currys is an electronics box-shifting company & retail staff are poorly paid, so although I sympathise with your experience it's not too surprising that they didn't know much about a specific camcorder. One really has to do all the research possible including WHICH perhaps before going to such a store. I hope & expect that your video filming goes well.

Regards,

William (ecgtheow)

Good afternoon Tony,

A request and a querie if you please, The captions that provide information about each train seems to have come to a halt, more details would be most appreciated.  For example, what is the train behind 6165? Also, what is the time period being represented? I assume 6165 represents the early 1920's when the loco was allocated to KX and Copley Hill?

Good afternoon Andrew,

You'll have to request for the guys who built the trains to tell you chapter and verse as to what they are, as I take their pictures and post the images. 

Perhaps Graham, Graeme, Jonathan and Roy will tell us, please.

I would say the B3 cannot represent the early-'20s because its number is not on the tender. Would it still be running on the ECML in 1938? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Dear Tony,

PC World /Currys is an electronics box-shifting company & retail staff are poorly paid, so although I sympathise with your experience it's not too surprising that they didn't know much about a specific camcorder. One really has to do all the research possible including WHICH perhaps before going to such a store. I hope & expect that your video filming goes well.

Regards,

William (ecgtheow)

I understand what you're saying William, but I would ask then, why do they need any staff at all? Other than just a guy/girl at a desk taking money/cards, with loads of boxes behind them. 

One would just go in, armed with a mass of information downloaded from the interweb and just ask for the product you wanted. 

I wonder whether this is symptomatic of the retail business as a whole. When I bought my Nikon Df (second hand) from a camera shop in Chester some few years ago, the assistant could not have been more knowledgeable or helpful. Granted, I was paying more (a lot more!) for that than the new camcorder, but nothing was too much trouble. I took some test shots (in Frodsham Street, where the shop was) and the bloke put them on to his computer for me to see. Everything was explained, and it was a pleasure to purchase such a fine piece of kit.

With the demise of 'proper' model shops, could the same thing be happening there? Or, am I just a (getting older) miserable old git? 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 4

Red Leader has the timetable in his head, so I expect he'll be the one organising the prototypical trains when we reassemble. As I recall we tried 6165 on the parcels rake and the inside curve was just a touch tight, so she was moved out onto the Scotch Goods. Hardly prototypical at all, but this is a testing and proving phase.

We have been having discussions about putting a GC excursion set together to justify her presence and maybe get a Director or B4 into the sequence as well. IIRC she was a Neasden loco in 1938, but I'm equally sure I've seen at least one photo of her at KX in that year.

I'd like to see a picture of her on a Pullman rake as was tried during the period Andrew refers to.

• Like 1

Hello Tony

Thank you for the offer. My problem is, well one of my problems, having built my locos to run(?) on depot layouts I don't have the stock for them to pull. Plus if you were to see the wheels they have rotating under them........

Thanks Clive,

I have plenty of appropriate stock for green diesels.

What's wrong with your wheels? If they're too coarse, don't worry - we can just plonk the locos in place for the photographs!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

I took my car into the garage yesterday to have the air-conditioning looked at. While it was in there I wandered over to a nearby branch of M&S which has a Cafe Nero upstairs. I walked up the counter, said good morning, and was immediately greeted by "Hi buddy!" It's enough to make the blood boil! I loathe and detest this "Hi mate", "Hi buddy" informality that seems to have crept into customer services in recent years. I'm "only" 52 so (presumably) not some old fogey who can't move with the times, but whatever happened to basic courtesy? My response in these situations, needless to say, is to go even more old-school and formal.

• Like 2

Red Leader has the timetable in his head, so I expect he'll be the one organising the prototypical trains when we reassemble. As I recall we tried 6165 on the parcels rake and the inside curve was just a touch tight, so she was moved out onto the Scotch Goods. Hardly prototypical at all, but this is a testing and proving phase.

We have been having discussions about putting a GC excursion set together to justify her presence and maybe get a Director or B4 into the sequence as well. IIRC she was a Neasden loco in 1938, but I'm equally sure I've seen at least one photo of her at KX in that year.

I'd like to see a picture of her on a Pullman rake as was tried during the period Andrew refers to.

Will do, Jonathan.