Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

This 1930's idea is great fun but the thought of LB not returning to the late 50's is one that I find horrific. This layout, after all, represents a lifetime of making and creating in the hobby (with the help of many friends). Would it not be better, if those wishing to see a permanent 1930's LB, got together and created their own version and then exhibited it. That way we could all benefit from the experience.

Edited by Headstock

I imagine Tony might feel similarly about the prospect of removing and storing all his stock again. He's put himself to all manner of inconvenience to allow this to happen, so let's just enjoy it as it unfolds and leave the future where it belongs, shall we?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Whose resin casting is this? It looks like its coming along very well. I built one back in the 80s based on Golden Arrow castings if I remember correctly. They were based on a modified Hornby body of that era I think so didn't have the correct shape to the top of the boiler and I think the skirts rose up too high. I can't just get mine out for comparison as we're sitting in the transit lounge in Singapore on our way to Europe!

Andrew

I will be in the same place in four nights' time.

Gute Reise!

• Like 1

I imagine Tony might feel similarly about the prospect of removing and storing all his stock again. He's put himself to all manner of inconvenience to allow this to happen, so let's just enjoy it as it unfolds and leave the future where it belongs, shall we?

I think you have ever so slightly missed the point, under the scenario being touted there would be no stock to remove in the future as it would never have been put out again. Doesn't that sound a little offensive? I do feel that some people have no conception of how lucky we are to have a layout like LB in this day and age and that we are all invited to view it. Whether that be as a late 50's or as a 1930's presentation I feel a little more respect is due to all the individuals involved. Nuf said.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before Tony gets it all out again, I am cleaning the wheels of my Detics and Type 4 1/2s. I have some very nice colour light signals.

• Like 1

I think you have ever so slightly missed the point, under the scenario being touted there would be no stock to remove in the future as it would never have been put out again. Doesn't that sound a little offensive? I do feel that some people have no conception of how lucky we are to have a layout like LB in this day and age and that we are all invited to view it. Whether that be as a late 50's or as a 1930's presentation I feel a little more respect is due to all the individuals involved. Nuf said.

Indeed!

If I caused offence with my comments*, I can only apologise.

My sincere respect to Tony and all involved as LB is a stunning project and I do love it as it normally is, I just simply prefer the earlier period.

As it happens, I do possess a shed of very similar dimensions to Tony's (within 6 inches either way) but I certainly lack the drive and ambition not to mention skill and folk to call upon, in order to repeat such a task.

Best regards to All,

John.

*It was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'.

• RMweb Gold

Before Tony gets it all out again, I am cleaning the wheels of my Detics and Type 4 1/2s. I have some very nice colour light signals.

Well, if LB is having a backdate it can just as easily have a forwarddate, it's only fair!,

One pre TOPS and no knitting, one post TOPS including knitting

Now, where did I put that chainsaw?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Clive, if you do the knitting I'll etch some supports for you....

Hat and coat on and glad I'm several hundred miles away.

Jamie

Indeed!

If I caused offence with my comments*, I can only apologise.

My sincere respect to Tony and all involved as LB is a stunning project and I do love it as it normally is, I just simply prefer the earlier period.

As it happens, I do possess a shed of very similar dimensions to Tony's (within 6 inches either way) but I certainly lack the drive and ambition not to mention skill and folk to call upon, in order to repeat such a task.

Best regards to All,

John.

*It was meant to be 'tongue in cheek'.

John,

my comments are my own opinion, I don't speak for Tony, nor were they aimed at a particular individual. We all have our own favorite eras, but I think that it is worth remembering that the quality of modeling is era independent. I even admire Clive's stuff (have you ever seen his breakdown Crain, it's amazing?) even though I don't know one end of a Diesel thingy from the other.

As a youngster, having completed an early project, I still remember being informed by some old git, what a shame that it didn't conform to his idea of what the correct era I should be modeling was (BR late period), what a p***K. It almost put me off railway modeling for life.

• RMweb Gold

My modelling flits between several eras, including BR steam but also Big Four and increasingly a little pre-grouping. I've always been drawn to the BR era, though, not because I remember it - although it is closer to my lifetime, obviously - but because of the association with the optimism and idealism of the post-war period, the shrugging off of austerity, Festival of Britain, colour cinema and so on. I remember being enthralled by the BR maroon train in the 1959 version of The 39 Steps, and trying to get my eye as close to the track as possible as I attempted to recreate it with a mixed rake of LMS and BR maroon coaches. The Big Four era interests me for the elegance and variety of the trains, the liveries and advertising, private owner wagons and so on, but I find it hard to disassociate the period from the looming threat of war, and the thought of the disruption that was soon to visit itself on the country. Perhaps it's a case of rose-tinted glasses - after all, the fifties and sixties were overshadowed by cold war anxieties - but it seems a brighter, more optimistic period, when things were generally on the up. I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but does anyone else find that their appreciation of historical modelling periods is clouded by such concerns? Or do they just get on and enjoy the modelling for it's own sake?

The LNER stuff looks terrific, in any case, and fully at home on Little Bytham. Thanks Tony and the gang for allowing us a preview of the delights to come.

Al

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’m also loving the 1930s look. I stumbled on the late ‘50s / early 60s for my own modelling not because I remember them, but because I wanted to run both my favourite loco, the Deltics and my second favourite, the Gresley Pacifics. I do prefer the 1930s for steam, but was put off by the thought of painting teak! I’m finally overcoming that fear, so maybe I should move to two eras - what an excuse for a locoholic!

• RMweb Premium

I am a bit of an odd ball compared to most who post on this thread, I like diesels and even more bizarre overhead EMUs.  But only those which saw service in the 1960s.

When I first joined the Witham club I was inspired by Kim Fulbrook's scratchbuilt diesels in plastic card and Pete Haywood's modifications to RTR diesels. I mentioned I would like a Baby Deltic and was told by a leading member of the club "There will never be a ready to run one". So with the Kim's and Pete's inspirations and the writings of Mike Cole about building your own diesels off I went making my own and converting many others.

Peaks, I done all the different nose ends and sub variations before Bachmann

EE type 4, scratchbuilt, converted tri-ang 37

NBL Warship D600, converted Hornby 21

BR Warship D812, one of the early ones with disc head code, converted Mainlaine and D870, converted Lima

Brush 4, scratchbuilt, radiator variations, open radiator (still not done by any RTR company but check out photos of moving 47s) and a class 48 conversion

BR Type 2, all body versions converted from the Hornby model, scrapped a class 24 and 25 that I was scratchbuilding when the Bachmann introduced their's.

BRCW Type 2, all body variations converted from class 33

Brush type 2, early disc headcode from both Tri-ang and Airfix, tablet catcher version Airfix converted, two coupled with gangway connectors open and a scratchbuilt one.

Metro-Vic type 2 scratchbuilt pair

Baby Deltic, whole class scratchbuilt and loads of cut and shuts.

NBL type 2, all main body variations converted Hornby 21/29

NBL type 2 (baby Warship) Class 29 converstions

BRCW Type 3, Bagpipe and Slim Jim versions converted from Lima model

EE type 3 split headcode version from Tri-ang model, and scratchbuilt

Hymek, D7000, converted from Tri-ang model (D7000 and D7001 when new differed from the rest of the class).

EE Type 1, Wren model converted to 4 figure headcode version and scratchbuild.

BTH Type 1, loads of scratchbuilt models

NBL Type 1, not so many scracthbult

Clayton Type 1, some scratchbuilt

Detiic, stretched Lima, and an abandoned scratchbuild when Bachmann introduced their model

Swindon/Paxman Type 1, Kit built

DP2, Lima Deltic converted

GT3, scratchbuilt

Lion, Scratchbulit

Falcon, scratch

Kestrel, scratch

DHP1, abandoned scratchbuild, no longer fitted what I was modelling at the time.

10001, plastic card

10203, started life as a MTK kit, body and chassis replaced body scratchbuilt and chassis Mainline Peak.

What is even dafter not only do I like diesels and EMUs but I have modeled them......not just bunged a sound chip in a RTR loco.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Of the list I wrote of the models I made only 7 are not available or are waiting to be made RTR.

1, Disc headcode Warship

2, D870 Zulu with its roof mounted air horns.

3, Class 48

4, Class 25/0, both Bachmann and Sutton locomotive Works have threatened to make a 24/1 with headcode box so just remove the water tank and the boiler doings on the roof and you have a 25/0

5, D7000 (or D7001), simple to do.

6, GT3

7, DHP1 cop a butchers at James' model.

Perhaps that is why I have moved on to DMUs and EMUs as "There will never be a ready to run one"

• Like 3

Good evening Andrew,

With the greatest of respect, I think you've rather missed Jonathan's point, though I don't think I've been particularly inconvenienced. If I have (ever so slightly), it's been well worth it.

Knowing Jonathan as a dear friend, I can't imagine his saying anything which anyone can take offence at; unlike me, who's now taking it to a fine art! 

I think the concept of taking LB back 20 years is fantastic. It says a lot for how well the team has built it and the standard of the visiting stock, that all the LNER vehicles put on so far has performed superbly. Testing today, in the company of a friend, a couple of the RTR Pacifics struggled with their rakes, but the running was near-faultless. It's a huge privilege to be able to 'host' such an event, and I can't imagine many other layouts or teams being able to do this. Who knows, in the fullness of time, we might even have Grantham forward-dated, with all my BR stock on it? 

Taking the opportunity to get some more pictures today, I turned my camera towards the MR/M&GNR to begin with................

attachicon.gifTrains running 11 D9.jpg

The first to pass was a Spalding-Saxby service behind a D9. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 12 D3.jpg

Then a Nottingham-Lynn train hauled by my just-completed D3 (which I had hoped to have painted for the event, but never mind). 

attachicon.gifTrains running 13 J40.jpg

The daily Down goods then appeared behind a J40 (apologies for the BR-branded brake van). A J41 waits its turn in the distance.

attachicon.gifTrains running 14 J41.jpg

With the token for the single track section to Saxby secured, the J41 moves off. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 15 J41.jpg

And moves off westwards to cross the GN main line via the girder bridge. Speaking of which, the etches for the proper bridge have arrived. I'm itching to get the iron fired-up! 

attachicon.gifTrains running 16 D16 3.jpg

The morning finished with the sight of this Hornby D16/3 heading eastwards. Though ex-GE 4-4-0s worked on the M&GNR, I doubt if the doyen of the class did. After some minor detailing, it now really needs weathering, but it is pretty. 

Aren't these trains above gorgeous? 

attachicon.gifTrains running 17 The Flying Scotsman.jpg

Then down to the main line to watch the passing of the Up Flying Scotsman (the triplet set of which rides a bit oddly). I should have replaced this loco with a more appropriate one (it had been put on on Saturday). For a start, it's summer '38 and the FS would be non-stop; thus FLYING SCOTSMAN herself, not having a corridor tender by then, would not be on it. Secondly, apart from carrying lamps, it looks straight out-of-the-box, with no weathering and not even real coal in the tender. There is a shelf full of beautiful locos to use - weathered, detailed, real coal, crews and much more natural than artificial, pristine ones. The latter can go back into their boxes! 

attachicon.gifTrains running 18 B3.jpg

Though this loco is not weathered much, it's far better than just-out-of-the-box stuff. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 19 B3.jpg

attachicon.gifTrains running 20 B3.jpg

What a truly beautiful locomotive! Built by Mike Edge and painted by Larry Goddard, it's one of the finest model locos I've ever seen. And, look at its train. Isn't it fantastic? Wonderfully-observed, made, weathered and truly-natural - with not a rubber banana in sight! 

attachicon.gifTrains running 21 P1.jpg

attachicon.gifTrains running 22 P1.jpg

The day ended with one of the P1s plodding south on full coals. One of the wagon's suspension is definitely down at one end, but there is no distortion. Have you ever seen a more impressive coal wagon than that first one? 

And now the really good news. The somersault signals have sold - for £100.00, every penny going to CRUK. With that, and the sale of a loco on Sunday, donated most-generously by Bachmann, we've now topped £2,000 for Cancer Research in 2018; and we're still in July! Add on to that, another, even more generous donation given by a friend today, and our target is now revised to (at least) £2,500. That same dear friend took some pictures on LB with me today. He'll be posting them on here. Thanks again, Tony, and thanks for making and donating those lovely signals, Graham.

Good evening Tony,

Jonathan didn't say anything that anyone could take offense at. A couple of people thought it would be better to leave the new stock on permanently and leave yours in the boxes. I thought that was a bit mean and said so. It had nothing to do with Jonathan, so I was a bit bemused when he replied to my original post.

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think anyone seriously expects Tony to put all his Brunswick Green stuff away in boxes permanently...do they? It is a shame if a little inter-period banter on here has been mis-interpreted as an insult to TW’s magnificent collection.

The recent photographs of Apple Green on LB are an absolute delight and I echo the sentiment of others in shouting for ‘more’. It would also be nice to see a few Pacifics wearing BR express blue on LB too! That’s as well as, not instead of the usual content of this thread.

G'day Folks

Great to see LB in LNER green and teak, I do hope the person who bought the signals won't mind you borrowing them for a couple of months when LB again converts to LNER............................LOL

Terry (aka manna)