Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I just need put on record what's just occurred before my memory crumbles further. 

I've just bought a Panasonic camcorder from Currys/PC World in Stamford. It's our most convenient store for that sort of thing. Since I've no intention of becoming a video professional, on the advice of a friend, I went for an 'entry-level' type - in excess of £200; certainly not the best, but of reasonable quality for my needs. 

On entering the store, my wife and I were greeted with 'High guys, how can we help' by two youths. Though Mo was wearing jeans, there is no doubt that she's not a guy! ' We're here to help' was the message on badges and on signs. Good, thought I.

Mo had done some internet research, and the type of camcorder was on display.

'May I see it demonstrated, please?'

'We don't have the batteries for them because they get nicked' was the reply.

'Do you have a spare battery, please?'

'Yeah, I'll get it'. 

After some little time, the spotty youth returned, but the battery didn't fit. It was tried in another camera, which it did fit, but the battery was dead. Another youth appeared.

'We're not allowed to test mobile phones' he said.

''I'm not buying a mobile phone'. 

'Oh sorry, I got confused'. 

'You (all) seem to be easily confused' I opined. Cue puzzled look. 

'I'm interested in the camera, so may I see what it comes with, please?'

'We're not allowed to open the boxes. Anyway, it's all on the packaging'. 

'Good, so it comes with a battery charger then?'

'Yeah, oh wait a minute, the pictures on the box show optional extras' .

'Can you charge the battery and show me on the display camera, please?' The display camera, by the way, had an alarm which immediately went off when the first youth picked it up. I won't mention his first name, but, in my day, it would have been a surname!

'Sure, it'll be about half an hour. Anyway, you don't need a battery charger because it can be charged by a lead straight into the mains'.

'What do I need for that, please?' 

'Oh, you need a special plug'. 

'Don't worry' said a further youth. They only cost a couple of quid'. 

While the battery was being charged, Mo and I went for a coffee in a delightful new eating house in Ryhall Road (the ex-Post Office; thoroughly-recommended). 

On our return, lo and behold, the camera was working. 

'How do I focus-manually, please?' I asked. 

I was shown.

'It doesn't seem to focus closely on zoom' I said, as I pointed it towards a notice on the desk. 

'Why would you want to do that?' said a further youth. 

After fiddling, I think I got the hang of it, so bought it.

'I'll have the adapter as well, if I may, please?'  

'That'll be £7.99'.

'I thought you said it was two quid' said Mo. 

'We don't have anything that cheap'. 

Throughout all this, I was constantly asking them to repeat what they said. Though my ears are old (older than their grandparents' ears, probably) they still work well. Their diction was awful, their pronunciation equally so and their annunciation garbled. 

On the desk was a sign asking 'How did we do today? Please mark us 10 out of 10'. 

I felt like I was back in school. Teaching 3C!

What does all the above prove, if anything? Though I bought the camcorder, it was in spite of rather than because of the service I've just received. They smiled a lot, but is this the modern shop proprietor's way? None had tattoos or body piercings, but I'd have gladly accepted those features if the wearers had expertise.

We'll see how I get on with the filming..................... 

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Condolences. Bye the way, 'guys' is now unisex, an import from the USA, I believe.

• RMweb Gold

I understand what you're saying William, but I would ask then, why do they need any staff at all? Other than just a guy/girl at a desk taking money/cards, with loads of boxes behind them. 

One would just go in, armed with a mass of information downloaded from the interweb and just ask for the product you wanted. 

I wonder whether this is symptomatic of the retail business as a whole. When I bought my Nikon Df (second hand) from a camera shop in Chester some few years ago, the assistant could not have been more knowledgeable or helpful. Granted, I was paying more (a lot more!) for that than the new camcorder, but nothing was too much trouble. I took some test shots (in Frodsham Street, where the shop was) and the bloke put them on to his computer for me to see. Everything was explained, and it was a pleasure to purchase such a fine piece of kit.

With the demise of 'proper' model shops, could the same thing be happening there? Or, am I just a (getting older) miserable old git? 

Regards,

Tony.  

It's not you Tony.  Currys are a box shifter but pretend to be otherwise because the staff are pushed to sell other bits and pieces which have much higher profit margins on them albeit that they don't cost too much.  Your £200 camcorder could easily have cost you 10% more once a few extras were added and if they manage to do this on every sale then you can imagine the impact on overall profits.

Currys pay their staff poorly and they are not on commission for any sales or for any extras.  I find it best to be nice and friendly, ignore their cringe worthy greetings, assume their talking complete ####ocks and just buy what you want and leave.

• Like 3

Good afternoon Andrew,

You'll have to request for the guys who built the trains to tell you chapter and verse as to what they are, as I take their pictures and post the images. 

Perhaps Graham, Graeme, Jonathan and Roy will tell us, please.

I would say the B3 cannot represent the early-'20s because its number is not on the tender. Would it still be running on the ECML in 1938? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

probably better to wait until they have everything organised to their satisfaction. If 6165 was my loco I would definatly backdate it to the 1920's, and if East coast inclined, build the West Riding Pullman. Although they were very different Cars from yours, and even a different colour, I would agree with Jonathan that one of the Pullman trains would be rather fitting working for the locomotive. Pherhaps somebody might russelL up a West Riding Pullman headboard.

Edited by Headstock

May I make a list of suggestions, to all, please? 

1. The most-appropriate loco for every train.

2. No non-weathered locos for any of the pictures. 

3. As thorough a test of every loco/train as is practicable before filming begins.

4. Where possible kit-built/modified locos to be used instead of straight-from-the-box proprietary ones. 

5. The operator of the fiddle yard knowing what he's doing. Since I'll be doing the filming (I assume?), then it can't be me. Jonathan's probably best, judging by his expertise in operating one of the ends on Grantham. 

6. That a good (even great) time is had by all!

Regards

Tony.

Good objectives, but satisfying 1, 2, and 4 simultaneously for every train will only be possible IF we have the right locos. We should try of course, and at least we have several coupling adaptation options we can employ.

Point 5 - After being so admirably instructed in its use, I think I've remembered the key points of the fiddle yard control panel so there should be more than one of us available to do that job.

Point 6 - Of course!

And on the matter of lamps, we should have plenty, we won't run out even if we need to take lamps off locos that are going back into the box in order to maintain the supply. They may even look straight in the pictures if we all ensure that not only do they get put on straight, but that when locos are subsequently handled or are unintentionally disturbed, the lamps are re-checked to ensure that they are still straight.....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

In response for requests.....................

attachicon.gifTrains running 34 B3 on Pullman.jpg

As has been pointed out, these Pullman cars are really too late to be hauled by a B3 (they're the 1928 types in the main). Still, I think it makes a good picture. If nothing else, it debunks the 'myth' that my camera/lens combination produces distortion. It doesn't. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 34 B3 on Pullman B&W.jpg

And, in B&W.

attachicon.gifTrains running 35 B3 on Pullman.jpg

Whether the loco/train combination is correct for 1938 is a moot point, but I don't think anyone would disagree that apple green and umber/cream makes a beautiful combination. I'm pleased, too, that the whole ensemble looks entirely at home in the wide spread of LB. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 35 B3 on Pullman B&W.jpg

Even in B&W, I think it works.

attachicon.gifTrains running 36 V2 on Scotch goods.jpg

I put my own Jamieson V2 on the front of the Scotch goods, in place of the B3. Much more appropriate for any era.

attachicon.gifTrains running 36 V2 on Scotch goods B&W.jpg

Especially in those black & white days.

attachicon.gifTrains running 37 V2 on Scotch goods.jpg

I think this is a great train (made my Jonathan Wealleans?), and I'm pleased my V2 hauled it with ease. 

attachicon.gifTrains running 37 V2 on Scotch goods B&W.jpg

I think in most ways, the B&W shots are more typical of the period. 

I feel like I've seen those two trains, unfortunately not in reality, only in photographs. I would imagine that the real trains would be quite close to what the modeling and photography shows. 

I understand what you're saying William, but I would ask then, why do they need any staff at all? Other than just a guy/girl at a desk taking money/cards, with loads of boxes behind them. 

One would just go in, armed with a mass of information downloaded from the interweb and just ask for the product you wanted.

Regards,

Tony.

This ( in my opinion) encapsulates why On line purchasing is growing so fast - if the consumer does all the research on the internet then they may as well do the purchase there as well.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

My preference is for the colour photographs, Tony. I can see black and white pictures in any reference book of the period, but the real things were most definitely in full colour!

Phil

Lovely pictures :)

Are the buffers on the B3 correct? Just looks a bit strange to me - too modern? I've found a few pictures of B3s and some appear to have oval ones but not as wide?

I would suggest they are the correct width but not high enough which would have made them more oval in shape. The buffers that Bachmann has fitted to its D11/1 model appear to me to be the best of this type of GC buffers. Note that there were at least two shapes of GC 'oval' buffers. A lot of the O4s had a buffer not unlike these on this model of 'Valour' but with slightly more pointy ends as provided by Bachmann with their O4 models.

Andrew

Good objectives, but satisfying 1, 2, and 4 simultaneously for every train will only be possible IF we have the right locos. We should try of course, and at least we have several coupling adaptation options we can employ.

Point 5 - After being so admirably instructed in its use, I think I've remembered the key points of the fiddle yard control panel so there should be more than one of us available to do that job.

Point 6 - Of course!

And on the matter of lamps, we should have plenty, we won't run out even if we need to take lamps off locos that are going back into the box in order to maintain the supply. They may even look straight in the pictures if we all ensure that not only do they get put on straight, but that when locos are subsequently handled or are unintentionally disturbed, the lamps are re-checked to ensure that they are still straight.....

Thanks Graeme,

You and Jonathan, then? 

I think we can get by with the locos we've got, especially as there seems to be lots more in boxes. 

My plan (me, having a plan?) is to get to know the camcorder over the next few days, trying a few shots to see how I get on. Graham is coming on Monday to fix the Weissmann signal motor which has failed (in plenty of time for the big event), so we can try a few 'run-pasts' then. 

Chris Walsh, who made me a 'star' in some of the Right Track DVDs, has offered to edit my footage, so I think it'll turn out all right. With Jesse's moving images, and mine (and maybe another friend's), plus my stills, we should have a good record of the event. 

I should put down right now my thanks to all of you for being so committed to making all this a success. It's taken a lot of work on everyone's part, and, at least in my opinion, the results are already showing. Though I have no wish to boast (and I can do this because almost nothing on the railway right now has been built by me), I think the pictures I've taken over the last few days are the best I've ever 'exposed' of my trainset. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I hope everyone enjoys the event as it looks good but ..flippin heck..If I dare to weather Silver A4 then some dirt does need applying to a few locos....but NOT the B3... despite the various comments I have yet to see such a beautiful B3. It is drop dead gorgeous with a cherry on top.... how many people have a model of a B3......

Baz 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

More to the point, it's Larry Goddard's paint job. I shan't be changing it.There are a few anomalies on the loco - Mike tells me he built it in 1988, so there's been plenty of time for it to be messed with. It had also been well used, if the filthy state of the wheels was telling the right story. There's some touching up on the wheels which definitely isn't Larry, one former owner has got PVA down the tender side when coaling it and when I acquired it all the handrails were silver. I've repainted the handrails (but missed the smokebox wheel) and now I've found the side-on 1938 colour photo I was looking for I know that the reversing rod also needs to be green.It needs a snifting valve behind the chimney and the box for the water scoop linkage is now also awaiting fitting. It should have the long ash ejector pipe in 1938 but that's just a bit too much work to risk the paint job for. I'll just paint the short one black.Gorton didn't put white lining round the green panels on the tender flares either and those are correctly shown.

Having seen the lovely "Valour" in the flesh, I can vouch for how nice it looks. It is one of those models that is so good that I just smile and enjoy it and any shortfall in the details or livery just don't jump out at me.

Out of interest, I never took note of the type of tender fitted. Does it have the standard or self trimming type? The real loco swapped between the two at various times and I can't recall noticing when I saw it close up. I was too busy drooling!

Having seen the lovely "Valour" in the flesh, I can vouch for how nice it looks. It is one of those models that is so good that I just smile and enjoy it and any shortfall in the details or livery just don't jump out at me.

Out of interest, I never took note of the type of tender fitted. Does it have the standard or self trimming type? The real loco swapped between the two at various times and I can't recall noticing when I saw it close up. I was too busy drooling!

Hello Tony (G)

This model has the standard 4000 gall tender.

The one I built 25 years ago has my kit bashed version of the self trimming type with which Valour was fitted in the late 30s. If only I had the nice Bachmann self triming model now paired with their D11/s at that time. I have a spare of those now awaiting my building of a B7.

Andrew

Is anyone bringing a new Rails/Rapido NER dynamometer car to run (very fast) behind 4468?

I don't believe so. We have the usual Grantham D & S version for that working.

Should there be time I will be bringing my Single and the part complete demonstration train, but it will be very much a work in progress.

6165 looks as much at home on the Pullmans as I expected. The pictures Andrew has linked to are very much what I had in mind. Thank you, Tony.

The Scotch Goods is mine when it runs on Grantham but has been extended for LB; the leading van is one of Red Leader's coupling convertors, I think (it's much harder to pick them out since I weathered them), the pigeon fruit and vegetable van behind it is Mr. King's, then the train as it usually runs, around 18/19 vehicles.  It has then been extended at the rear but tbh I can't remember whose vans we used.  GK might recall - that's what he's coupling up in one of your pictures from the weekend.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

Tony,

You always used to regard wagons as the lowest form of railway life. I’m glad to see you’ve been converted!

Andy

Did I Andy? 

I think you might be getting confused with my attitude to building such things. 

My main jobs on LB have been to build most of the locomotives and the majority of the passenger rolling stock. Apart from some score or more of non-passenger vehicles, the goods rolling stock is the work of others. That doesn't prevent my appreciating that work, though. 

And the wagons currently on LB are gorgeous!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dear Tony,

PC World /Currys is an electronics box-shifting company & retail staff are poorly paid, so although I sympathise with your experience it's not too surprising that they didn't know much about a specific camcorder. One really has to do all the research possible including WHICH perhaps before going to such a store. I hope & expect that your video filming goes well.

Regards,

William (ecgtheow)

A friend of mine tells a lovely story about PC world. Bearing in mind that he is a Computer programmer by trade, so he knows a bit about software...

He was comparing two different makes of software that did the same job, but couldn't make his mind up which one to buy, so asked the spotty youth his opinion. The youth picked up both boxes, one in each hand, and proceeded to act out the process of weighting them. His recommendation was to buy the heaviest box!

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine tells a lovely story about PC world. Bearing in mind that he is a Computer programmer by trade, so he knows a bit about software...

He was comparing two different makes of software that did the same job, but couldn't make his mind up which one to buy, so asked the spotty youth his opinion. The youth picked up both boxes, one in each hand, and proceeded to act out the process of weighting them. His recommendation was to buy the heaviest box!

Andy G

Lateral thinking ;) If there's no discernible difference between a product except weight, go for the heavy one (it may pull more coaches?).

Regarding the Scotch goods, the BY at the front was added simply to solve a coupling compatibility problem, an RTR LNER fish van having been tried for the same purpose but its feather-weight and short wheelbase resulted in repeated excursions into the ballast. I don't think the BY is significantly heavier, if any heavier at all, but it behaves properly. A miscellaneous selection of my fruit and general goods vans sits at the rear of the train, these having originally tried to masquerade as more fish vans at the rear of the otherwise relatively short fish empties. A collective decision was made favouring lengthening of the Scotch goods instead. One or two of them are LMS vehicles, including per-group items, about which I know nothing - I couldn't even answer the question when asked if they were based on fitted/piped prototypes.....

In preparation for the attempt to satisfy the "appropriate locos" criteria, I've written up a summary list of all of my available locos not yet on the layout, to save head scratching and rummaging in boxes when we re-convene, and have endeavoured to divide it two categories: Too nearly pure RTR and/or not weathered, versus hand built or heavily modified. I may send the list ahead to assist with planning.

Customer service? Perhaps one of the problems inherent in our post industrial society is that those who would in the past only have found jobs fetching, carrying, lifting etc. or shovelling unpleasant material from one place to another now find themselves in positions that involve dealing with the public.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did I Andy? 

I think you might be getting confused with my attitude to building such things. 

My main jobs on LB have been to build most of the locomotives and the majority of the passenger rolling stock. Apart from some score or more of non-passenger vehicles, the goods rolling stock is the work of others. That doesn't prevent my appreciating that work, though. 

And the wagons currently on LB are gorgeous!

Regards,

Tony.  

The comment I remember was indeed in the context of building wagons - no offence intended. They certainly are gorgeous wagons. The sight of a P1 on a long coal train or a V2 on fast vans is second to none in my book.

I'm particularly taken with the bogie loco coal wagon. Did they last into the 1950s?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Well done Tony, you've just invented ebay!!

Mike.

• Like 4