Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

There is a colour photo dated 1948 in “Big Four in Colour”. It is in full LNER livery. According to the caption, in Jan 1950 it acquired the new number, BR crest and smokebox number plate. It says that the loco remained in LNER green.....but doesn’t mention the wheels.

Jon

As I said, the wheels were green long after the Jan 1950 visit to the works when the BR crest and numbers were applied. If they were green in Oct 1950 (which they were for certain) and the loco didn't enter works again, the chances of anybody deciding to paint the wheel black on shed, for no apparent reason, are somewhere between slim and none.

That would be enough evidence for me to complete a model up to withdrawal with green wheels, lined white at the centre and the rim and with black axle ends (and I can be very picky about such things!). 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, PMP said:

I hope whoever bids on Maindee realises it’s 18.83 and not OO! At that price though it’s worth buying to salvage buildings and re-use them on another layout.

The puzzling thing for me is the tweet being from a non modeller famous actress!

How? Why? What a strange world this internet is!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Possibly lives in the area (Cotswolds), buys stuff through that house, quirky subject caught her eye, and/or house knows her asked her to highlight the item on her feed.

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PMP said:

Possibly lives in the area, buys stuff through that house, quirky subject caught her eye, and/or house knows her asked her to highlight the item on her feed.

But will she ever be any good at painting and lining carriages........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The puzzling thing for me is the tweet being from a non modeller famous actress!

How? Why? What a strange world this internet is!

Proves how hip I am, I had to google who she was, and I am none the wiser.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, PMP said:

Possibly lives in the area (Cotswolds), buys stuff through that house, quirky subject caught her eye, and/or house knows her asked her to highlight the item on her feed.

PMP guesses correctly. The lovely Ms. Samms lives in the Cotswolds, is a regular visitor to several auction rooms in the area and often highlights unusual items in her Twitter feed.

Although she's UK born (Harrow), she spent much of her career in the US playing the second Fallon in "Dynasty" in the 1980's and was a regular character in the US soap "General Hospital". I believe she recently appeared in the BBC daytime soap "Doctors".

She is also the co-founder of the Starlight Foundation a charity that helps critically, chronically and terminally ill children.

• Informative/Useful 4

I had to google her too, lovely lady but I'd never heard of her!

Probably will never see anything of here again, not the sort of programmes I would watch.

Never mind, here's a direct link to the auction page if anyone cares;

http://wottonauctions.co.uk/Catalogues/2019/gs200819/lot1429.html

Quite a haul if it achieves the estimate or above.

Not for me though.

Cheers,

John.

51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Proves how hip I am, I had to google who she was, and I am none the wiser.

Me too. Apparently she's a British actress but known for roles in American TV soap operas. Never seen them.

Wasn't it was Zaphod Beeblebrox who said "you guys are so un-hip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off"? Luckily I've had both hips replaced otherwise I'd be in danger of loosing my bum. 

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I know Steffan was well regarded by the P4 modellers in South Wales and the West Country so one might hope that some individual or group of modellers will be aware of the layout and in a position to give it a home. I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking on such a beautifully crafted layout and then re-gauging it. I think it would be a different proposition if a quantity of P4 stock was also in the sale, but it appears the engines must have been disposed of separately.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, davefrk said:

All this talk of DMUs makes me happy.....

DMU buffers and mounting stools are in the new mould made this very morning, with more designs to follow.

More anon on the Lanarkshire Models thread.

My fault I think as I asked Dave if he had any suitable for a GRCW 119 DMU.

I hope to be first customer for a set of 12.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I know Steffan was well regarded by the P4 modellers in South Wales and the West Country so one might hope that some individual or group of modellers will be aware of the layout and in a position to give it a home. I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking on such a beautifully crafted layout and then re-gauging it. I think it would be a different proposition if a quantity of P4 stock was also in the sale, but it appears the engines must have been disposed of separately.

There are some locos and rolling stock included as part of the lot. Looking at the photos of them posed on the layout, I suspect they are in original OO gauge condition as they are unweathered and in a couple of cases, sporting large tension lock couplings.

• RMweb Premium

I think the liking of DMUs is for a number of reasons.

1) The sheer variety, local station I could see

Met Cam 101s of two different layouts, 3 different liveries

Derby 116, South Wales and Tyseley versions. The Tyseley were non gangwayed

Pressed Steel 117s, 4 different liveries remembered

BRCW 118, always seemed to be blue

GRCW 119

Swindon 120

2) The places they took you.

The Cornish branches

Welsh Branches

New Street station

Swindon

3) The view through the cab

4) The familiarity of your local sets.

The usual 4 or 5, 101s.

The small number of 117s in the area (most were still Reading), including B430.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I had to google her too, lovely lady but I'd never heard of her!

Probably will never see anything of here again, not the sort of programmes I would watch.

Never mind, here's a direct link to the auction page if anyone cares;

http://wottonauctions.co.uk/Catalogues/2019/gs200819/lot1429.html

Quite a haul if it achieves the estimate or above.

Not for me though.

Cheers,

John.

Not sure that putting under the classification of "Furniture (School Room)" is quite appropriate somehow....

I realise that it deliberately looked "run down", but to my eye it seems to have suffered somewhat since Steffan sadly died.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Ditto. Seems anyone can get a blue tick these days - maybe I should apply?

Blue tick?  I have no idea what one of those is, or it’s significance, so that presumably makes me even less hip than Clive!  

I also suspect that acquiring this knowledge will not improve my life one jot...

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You could invite her over for the weekend and find out Tony...

The late great Roy Jackson used to use that line whenever the talk turned to ladies.

"But can she paint and line carriages?" was one question he would ask.

The other would get me an instant lifetime ban! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Isn't it great to be ignorant? And remain so? 'Ignorant', of course, in its actual definition, of not knowing about something. 

Ignorant, in my case, having not long returned from helping Mo shopping (and being told off for rushing) about an actress who's recently been mentioned. Of what a 'blue tick' is, or anything about Twitter! 

I once bought a house from someone who was famous. Well, famous if you follow football. His name was (probably still is) Norman Bell, and he used to play for Wolves some 40 years ago. When we looked at the house, he was sitting (not sat!) with one leg leg in plaster. It was raised up. When I enquired as to the nature of his injury, he told me it was caused by playing football. 'Do you play for a local side?' I asked. 'I do' said I. 'Wolves' said he. I just looked blank. Apparently, he gained the nickname 'super sub', for his ability to come on with minutes to go and score a goal. I did actually play against him years later, in a teachers' game, where he was a guest player, but I was older and he was even more crocked. 

It must be a bit disappointing for a 'celebrity' to meet someone, and not be recognised. However, such is today's fatuous definition of 'celebrity', that I'm happy (very happy) to remain ignorant of many 'celebrity's' identity. I didn't know the woman I was talking to at a model railway event recently was one of the judges on the TV model railway series (Kathy someone?). Thankfully, she didn't know of me!

I did once greet Freddie Trueman, in passing, on a train, and nodded recognition to Colin Cowdrey outside the Natural History Museum on one occasion. I've also visited Roger Daltrey at his wonderful home on the Kent/Sussex border. Obviously, I know Pete Waterman well, but that's about it. If I've omitted a well-known person I've spoken to, I'm not being rude; just more and more forgetful. 

Actually, I've found things like RMweb now bestow 'celebrity' status on some. One chap who I once had a difference of opinion with on here was described as a 'most-accomplished modeller' (yet I've never seen anything he's made himself). In fairness, the same commentator said that of me, and, I must admit, I was flattered; though any 'accomplishment' I might have achieved has only ever been with a terrific amount of help from others. 

The true 'celebrities' in railway modelling, in my opinion, are those who make things for themselves, however humble. Those who make everything themselves are the 'most-famous' in my opinion. Peter Denny, for instance. Or Frank Dyer, or Bert Collins, or several others. 

• Like 6

Does anyone know where Bestwood Junction is, please? 

I can find a Bestwood Colliery, on the GN line north of Nottingham. but no junction. The GN line appears to go over the Midland line from Nottingham to Mansfield at Bestwood, but there appears to be no connection. 

Thanks in anticipation

41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The true 'celebrities' in railway modelling, in my opinion, are those who make things for themselves, however humble. Those who make everything themselves are the 'most-famous' in my opinion. Peter Denny, for instance. Or Frank Dyer, or Bert Collins, or several others. 

Ignorant as accused m'lud!!!

You wouldn't have any examples of their work by any chance? Always interested in finding out about such things.

I found a stash of my old Railway Modellers from  late 77 - 79 whilst rumaging in a box in Mum & Dad's garage a couple of months ago .... I was amazed at the sheer number of adverts for model shops ... and a large number actually stocked kits!!!! London had a whole host and large number actually in the centre. Given that I am told there is currently a decline in vendors  attending shows nowadays ....in favour of a solely internet presence (wizard springs to mind) they do seem lost halcyon days.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Does anyone know where Bestwood Junction is, please? 

I can find a Bestwood Colliery, on the GN line north of Nottingham. but no junction. The GN line appears to go over the Midland line from Nottingham to Mansfield at Bestwood, but there appears to be no connection. 

Thanks in anticipation

It is/was on the Annesley branch of the GNR roughly west of Bestwood Village (not Bestwood which is further south) and about 5/8ths of a mile west of the old colliery (see arrow on attached map). It seems it may be known also as Bestwood Park Junction as that still comes up searching Realtime Trains. I'm led to believe it is now joint NR and Nottingham trams.

Screen_Shot_2019-08-20_at_16_51_49.png

Edited by Richard E
Additional info and add map
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It is/was on the Annesley branch of the GNR roughly west of Bestwood Village (not Bestwood which is further south) and about 5/8ths of a mile west of the old colliery (see arrow on attached map). It seems it may be known also as Bestwood Park Junction as that still comes up searching Realtime Trains. I'm led to believe it is now joint NR and Nottingham trams.

Screen_Shot_2019-08-20_at_16_51_49.png

I think there is some confusion between Bestwood Junction and Bestwood Park Junction, depending upon the information source.  Bestwood Junction is listed as you say, as being on the Annesley branch of the GNR.  Bestwood Park Junction is separately listed as being on the Mansfield branch of the Midland Railway.  It is the latter that still sees trains and trams, though is no longer a Junction.  

The GNR, Midland and GC were all closely intertwined in this part of the country, it would seem that Bestwood Colliery was connected to both the Midland and GN, each with their own Junction.

• Thanks 1