Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is not hijacking, Jesse,

This is all useful information.

A possible tip for the future..... If you do bugg*r something up in future, soldering-wise (and I should know!), if it's 'hard'-soldered (not low-melt), don't worry about removing excess solder too much.

To remove soldered-in panels and the like, flood the joint with flux and turn the iron up as high as it'll go. Then introduce low-melt solder to the joint. This will form (literally!) a bastard mixture of solders, which will result in the panel easily dropping out. Once it's out, flood it with flux again and reintroduce more low melt-on the cranked-up iron. This will immediately melt all the solder, so, at that point, brush the panel with an old suede brush - this will immediately take off excess solder (and your fingerprints!). Final cleaning up can then be achieved with a fibreglass pencil. 

There will be some residual 'contamination', but by using higher melting point to re-attach the pieces, the joint will be sound.

It's the fastest way of removing excess solder I know of!

You'll then be back on your roll, playing the role of a most-competent modeller.

Regards,

Tony. 

Cheers Tony, I just got in there with my fingers, a file and the iron and popped them out, my fingers are still numb...

It will do as a ‘layout coach’ but I now know for the future, thanks heaps. 

3 hours ago, Craigw said:

Get some solderwick - (about 3mm wide) from RS or element 14. Use a hot iron, apply plenty of flux put the solderwick onto the solder and apply the iron. It will heat up quickly and you can move it around to take up solder. Cut the used section off and repeat. Ideal for large amounts of excess solder.  Obviously the best solution is not to apply so much in the first place!

Regards,

Craig W

I'm sure its been mentioned on here before by others,  unless you are constantly in need of removing excess solder then a length of multi core wire (plastic cover removed) dipped in flux can be used as a cheap and readily available alternative to Solderwick.  You are effectively using capillary action to draw the melted solder into the braid.

Regards,

Frank 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is not hijacking, Jesse,

This is all useful information.

A possible tip for the future..... If you do bugg*r something up in future, soldering-wise (and I should know!), if it's 'hard'-soldered (not low-melt), don't worry about removing excess solder too much.

To remove soldered-in panels and the like, flood the joint with flux and turn the iron up as high as it'll go. Then introduce low-melt solder to the joint. This will form (literally!) a bastard mixture of solders, which will result in the panel easily dropping out. Once it's out, flood it with flux again and reintroduce more low melt-on the cranked-up iron. This will immediately melt all the solder, so, at that point, brush the panel with an old suede brush - this will immediately take off excess solder (and your fingerprints!). Final cleaning up can then be achieved with a fibreglass pencil. 

There will be some residual 'contamination', but by using higher melting point to re-attach the pieces, the joint will be sound.

It's the fastest way of removing excess solder I know of!

You'll then be back on your roll, playing the role of a most-competent modeller.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for this tip, Tony.

I've never thought of introducing low melt into the "mix". I'm going to try this next time i make a monumental cock up, which is bound to be sooner than later!

Re removing excess solder/solder in the wrong place, etc., has anyone tried

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desoldering-guns-pumps/7719543?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Tools_Whoop-_-Desoldering+Guns+%26+Pumps_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-407067286274&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIXDmvTx5wIVCbrtCh3MwAiXEAQYAiABEgIBsfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have observed my son using a similar one for electrical/electronics, sometimes in very delicate operations, and it appears to work very well.

Lloyd

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Fixing mistakes, brought to you by the Australian institute of C**kups! 

1D8013B3-094B-4577-B80B-99CA35A60A3E.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Cheers all for that, I’ve tried my best, I’m not ashamed to say I’ve buggered up. It most definitely isn’t the best, but it will be a good ‘layout coach’. 

Sorry Tony for hijacking your thread! 

A029B7E3-1276-4882-87CB-E5A6E1F21DD0.jpeg

Afternoon Jesse,

ditch the layout coach philosophy, it never accounts for much help in these situations, if any. Your ECJS BG is a nice kit, if you want to write it off, I'll have it! I can guarantee I will make more of it than a 'layout coach' (does that mean a c**p coach).

The cock up is not really that bad, it looks to be mostly superficial gunk. Many have suggested methods of removing the solder, drawing the solder off and then cleaning up would be my chosen method, but the adding of white metal solder as an option works as well. I suggest removing all of it, not just the excess and from the body of the carriage were the panels are to be attached. Then tin and reapply the panels. If you take your time and do the job properly, you should have something far better than a 'layout coach'and the misstep will not even be noticed in the finished model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desoldering-guns-pumps/7719543?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Tools_Whoop-_-Desoldering+Guns+%26+Pumps_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-407067286274&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIXDmvTx5wIVCbrtCh3MwAiXEAQYAiABEgIBsfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have observed my son using a similar one for electrical/electronics, sometimes in very delicate operations, and it appears to work very well.

Lloyd

Very effective for PCB de-soldering, but they work best with a blob rather than a film of solder.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

Lloyd

Yes - very effective; but do buy some extra tips when you purchase it.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2020 at 19:52, Tony Wright said:

Interestingly (unless I've missed something) the recent poll doesn't seem to have a category for loco/rolling stock kits. RTR rules!

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony and everyone

I'm sorry for the slight delay in getting back on this query. My extract below from the Q&A for The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 should explain the situation.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Do you say if kits are available?

We found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to keep that information up to date, so we haven’t since 2018. However, you will find a link in each category to take you to kit makers and other suppliers. This is – after all – a Poll for ready-to-run items!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony and everyone

I'm sorry for the slight delay in getting back on this query. My extract below from the Q&A for The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 should explain the situation.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Do you say if kits are available?

We found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to keep that information up to date, so we haven’t since 2018. However, you will find a link in each category to take you to kit makers and other suppliers. This is – after all – a Poll for ready-to-run items!

Hi Brian

I think Tony was referring to the BRM Awards poll.

Also missing was a category for those fools who scratchbuild, who is daft enough to make what they want not wait for Mr RTR manufacturer to produce it. How rude.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The late, great,  John Hayes produced very fine etched models (from Finney kits and the like) with no evidence of visible solder. I once asked him how  he did it and he replied that he just used some scrapers made from old hacksaw blades to remove any excess solder. At our next meeting a few weeks later he presented me with a set of left and right handed scrapers and an "etch chisel" as shown on this rather poor photo.

1779916743_Etchchisel.JPG.2d8960036a311fbbe3bca716ba9327a3.JPG

To make things clearer I've attached a simple drawing showing the ground edge of the hacksaw blade (about 45 deg.) which creates the scraper edge (the opposite flat side is the "front" of the scraper). The scraper shapes lets you get at excess solder in corners, awkward places, etc. I've used them for many years and regard them as invaluable, finishing of with a glass fibre brush gives an excellent finish. This photos shows a LRM LNWR Bloomer 2-2-2 etched in .012" brass, soldered with 145 solder, cleaned up in this way.

1935236803_BloomerRMW.jpg.c071d74b45c501c17e4e02ec32369e39.jpg

JH scrapers.pdf 5.79 kB · 17 downloads

Don't forget that the flat scraper needs to be slightly curved, otherwise the corners will dig in when scraping solder off a flat surface.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Brian

I think Tony was referring to the BRM Awards poll.

Also missing was a category for those fools who scratchbuild, who is daft enough to make what they want not wait for Mr RTR manufacturer to produce it. How rude.  

Thanks Clive,

I was referring to the awards poll (RTR wishlists don't interest me one tiny jot). 

It would be nice to think there was a category for 'best kit', but, as has been said before, RTR is so dominant (reflected in the main magazines) as to exclude such things. And, as for a scratch-building..........? No chance!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Of course, both these loco types are now available RTR, and are very good I'm sure (probably better than these - definitely in the case of the B12), but, so what? I've made these, and that's always the most-important element to me.

I couldn't agree more Tony. The pleasure and satisfaction of either scratch or kit building a little loco is immense and in some ways painting and weathering them afterwards makes them even more unique.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

Quick note to Tony that Little Bytham has made a two page spread colour photo in March 2020 "Forward" magazine  - the journal of the Great Central railway society I have just received today. The photo is of a beautiful GC 4-4-0 "Class 2" No 567 and two GC coaches . On the preceding page is another colour photo of a weathered Bachmann D11 passing through Tony's station.

Is it possible to post these photos here Tony - they're excellent.

Brit15

4 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Unfortunately its asking me to sign in to see it and I don't have an account for that site. 

Cheers

Paul

Then I would strongly advise opening an account - you will be astonished on what is available and at the incredibly low prices; (it's only the Chinese version of Ebay, and I used it without problem for years).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

image.png.094dd0d66cf92517499a29b2110ae989.png

image.png.ade4446461878683daff867be0e873f4.png

image.png.437209296585f6fe6c8497b5523d844a.png

20pcs Rotary Tool Accessories For Dremel Radial Brush Abrasive Tools Mini Grinding Wheels Drill Bit For Dremel Electric Drill   - US $6.25

Feature:

Grit : 80#(Green), 120#(Blue) ,220#(Red) ,400#(Gray Blue) ,600#(Purple) ,1000#(Light Green)

Obtain superior, fast results with 3Mradial bristle discs.

Unique 3 dimensional flexible abrasive design provides for a uniform finish. 

Use forremoving firescale, heavy cleaning, pre-polishing, texturing and polishing.

Open design dissipates heat, unlike rubber wheels. 

Bonded cubitron mineral abrasive is much harder than most metals.

Recommended for handpiece speed between 15,000-30,000.   

Package :

20pcs 3M radial brush + 2 mandrels

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6