Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

The Millhome A2/3 above is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in Locomotive kits, it looks similar to the Dreadnoughts in the Battle of Jutland on TV last night !!. I had one which I built and sold off a while ago , from memory it never looked as badly proportioned as that one!! The Loco itself on mine didn't look to bad, but as for the Tender as you have written before in your excellent LNER Pacifics book , hit it with a hammer and use it as weight in other models!.

As to Great Northern I am starting on my fourth one !! One PDK , and a three more using Graeme Kings resin/etched conversions on a Hornby A3 base.

I got a Millholme A2/3 from Ebay for a small sum a few years ago and started to build it just for fun having read Tony's comments about it in that great book of his (see bold above). Tony has seen it and has had recovered since and will have forgotten thankfully for him. It was part completed but with no valve gear, motor or anything like being RTR. I think I managed to get a spare DJH boiler to replace the absolutely horrible Millholme one. A local modeller has it now and I had forgotten that he owes me some electrickery advice time as 'payment' for that huge lump of ####. 

On a totally different subject, can anyone advise how I might build a Gresley Steel Sided D 194/5 Twin, or is it only going to happen with some of Coachman's Plasticard?

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stick etches onto doctored Hornby 'shortie' bodies?

Oh yes Bill. thanks for that and you have them available; brilliant (ta for link). Would the old, crappy Gresleys be OK then as I have some of those (bought by mistake.....don't ask why I manged to do that.....).

Loads of work or reasonable conversion would you say. Something a bit of mentoring by Mr. TW would sort out?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Why sweat to file all the detail off the sides when you could more easily cut away most of the side entirely, leaving just a little at each end to accept the brass sides, well stuck on? File the beading off the ends, narrow the brake end, cut and shut the floor and roof to reduce the length and Bob is almost your uncle.

How observant and pedantic does one have to be to spot the difference between the 194/195 GN section steel twins and the marginally later 304 GC section steel twins? Etches for the latter are listed as Southern Pride EB2, apparently quite attractively priced, though not currently in stock if the website is correct.

If you want a real challenge build the aluminium 194/195 kit in the Phoenix SRG range, as I did twice over, with a 190 compo for luck as well, before I realised that far neater etched sides were in fact available!

Should you choose to proceed with the mission, you must of course execute full mock-teak finish with primrose lining of the imaginary beading.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

Why sweat to file all the detail off the sides when you could more easily cut away most of the side entirely, leaving just a little at each end to accept the brass sides, well stuck on? File the beading off the ends, narrow the brake end, cut and shut the floor and roof to reduce the length and Bob is almost your uncle.

How observant and pedantic does one have to be to spot the difference between the 194/195 GN section steel twins and the marginally later 304 GC section steel twins? Etches for the latter are listed as Southern Pride EB2, apparently quite attractively priced, though not currently in stock if the website is correct.

If you want a real challenge built the aluminium 194/195 kit in the Phoenix SRG range, as I did twice over, with a 190 compo for luck as well, before I realised that far neater etched sides were in fact available!

Should you choose to proceed with the mission, you must of course execute full mock-teak finish with primrose lining of the imaginary beading.

Thanks for that but the SP EB2s are not in production either, sadly (However, Dave might have some lurking if I ask). However, someone might have some in a drawer or box somewhere!

Yup, I'd do a cut job as I have with several Gresleys in the past. Something quite good about hacking up old coaches!!! Then I can sniff the Evostick as well.

Phoenix......pah! I can say no more than that  :rtfm:

Slightly weathered maroon for me thank goodness.

Most helpful though grK especially the bit in red.

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of real challenges, these three fit the bill,

post-68-0-84549700-1468340133_thumb.jpg

Parkside LNER grain wagons, to be fair they are an early kit and showing their age, but definitely in the challenging category. Just got the awkward shaped handrails to do to complete. They're pictured on 'Bawdsey' nee Chris Matthewmans 'Strove', a brilliant example of the scratch builders art.

• Like 7

Have to agree on the parkside grain wagons, the 2 part floor didn't do any favours for me and I soon realised that I had 3 wheels touching the ground and one in the air. The roof also needed some modification but fits well once some work is done. Anyway a challenge is what keeps us interested in the hobby isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree on the parkside grain wagons, the 2 part floor didn't do any favours for me and I soon realised that I had 3 wheels touching the ground and one in the air. The roof also needed some modification but fits well once some work is done. Anyway a challenge is what keeps us interested in the hobby isn't it?

You don't need two part floors to get the 3 wheels on my wagon/van effect if you are me :butcher: . I thought I was good at avoiding that until recently. I wonder if I'm using too much adhesive and it is warping my bits?

P

I've seen several of those Parkside grain wagons (my attempt included) built with all four wheels level, yet with the axles and solebars forming a parallelogram - seemingly without ruining the running qualities. I presume this is another consequence of a two-part floor. I wonder if it is possible to build the underframes square without prior knowledge of the tendency to trouble, and without use of replacement parts.

Tony.

I don't think Nu-Cast ever did a D30 'Scott', the only cast kit for this class I'm aware of is the GEM one, which is still available. There is also an etched kit made by PDK, my example of which is shown below.

attachicon.gifd30.jpg

D30 'Dugald Dalgetty'

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, you're right - it was a Gem kit.

My compliments on an excellent build of your own Scott. 

The Millhome A2/3 above is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in Locomotive kits, it looks similar to the Dreadnoughts in the Battle of Jutland on TV last night !!. I had one which I built and sold off a while ago , from memory it never looked as badly proportioned as that one!! The Loco itself on mine didn't look to bad, but as for the Tender as you have written before in your excellent LNER Pacifics book , hit it with a hammer and use it as weight in other models!.

As to Great Northern I am starting on my fourth one !! One PDK , and a three more using Graeme Kings resin/etched conversions on a Hornby A3 base.

It does look weird, Mick. 

From memory, I just used what was provided. Yours not looking too bad means you're more accomplished at building locos than I am. When I built one for myself, I made a new cab, footplate and chassis. However, with the arrival of the DJH kit, my Millholme A2/3 was sold-on. The Millholme A2/3 must rate (along with the A2/2) as one of the worst loco ever produced. It's a real shame that the now-proprietor of the range is not going to redo the kit. Apparently, (lack of) interest in the Millholme range doesn't justify it.  

Edited by Tony Wright

I've just complete the Deltic Bookazine for Irwell Press (to be published just prior to Christmas). Right at the end, I've included some model pictures; which, I hope, will prove of interest. 

post-18225-0-01801100-1468345941_thumb.jpg

Pictures like this of D9021 taking the Down 'Flying Scotsman' underneath Marsh Bridge on LB. 

post-18225-0-21447800-1468345945_thumb.jpg

Or D9003 on the Up train. 

post-18225-0-77513500-1468345947_thumb.jpg

D9010 and D9015 pass at Little Bytham's south end.

post-18225-0-88357400-1468345949_thumb.jpg

And D9011 takes the southbound 'Queen of Scots' underneath the MR/M&GNR overbridge.

All the locos are modified/renumbered/renamed/weathered Bachmann items; the work of my elder son, Tom. It's a pity he spends his spare time now restoring classic cars, for he's a most-accomplished railway modeller. Strictly speaking, no production Deltics should run through LB, because the station was demolished two years before they appeared. Modeller's licence? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I built a model of Great Northern in Thompson style back in 1964 using a Triang A3 boiler with everything else added in Plastikard. The weakest part was the motion that I had shortened and butt soldered! Strengtheners were later added and the loco was sold together with all my other handbuilt locos to the Handymans Shop in Oldham before I departed for sunnier climes by the sea. Plastikard remains a very useful modelling material to this day although we rarely see it used in loco construction......or do we?

Hi Larry

I build locos from plastic card.................diesels not steam.

• Like 1

Talking about painted teak carriages, can some one explain the livery on the steel full brake pictured below. Not sure on the copyright position on this so mods exterminate if necessary. Any information would be appreciated. The image is circa 1948ish.

post-26757-0-26440500-1468347755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It does look weird, Mick. 

From memory, I just used what was provided. Yours not looking too bad means you're more accomplished at building locos than I am.

Certainly never claim that honour!!..  No idea of Millhome's history perhaps they attempted upgrades between batches ?? Sadly my one appeared on the old RM Web before being sold on and on checking all the photos are no longer available thereon.

Talking about painted teak carriages, can some one explain the livery on the steel full brake pictured below. Not sure on the copyright position on this so mods exterminate if necessary. Any information would be appreciated. The image is circa 1948ish.

A prime example of NPCS filth....

Robert, may I thank you for having such photo's as the one I posted on here. Could I ask, would you prefer not to have these posted without prior permission?

Many thanks again and apologies if I have infringed your CW.

Sincerely,

Phil R.

As stated on my Flickr profile:

"The HTML/BBCode is available so images may be linked from other sites using this code.

PLEASE NOTE: Other than allowing the use of the HTML/BB Code, I do not generally permit the use of my images on other websites. Nor are prints available."

The way to use the BB code is to click on the curved arrow bottom right on the Flickr image page (share) and then select the BB code tab and choose the image size. Then simply copy and paste the long code in the box and the image will appear when you post. You just post the BB code in as normal text.

I built a model of Great Northern in Thompson style back in 1964 using a Triang A3 boiler with everything else added in Plastikard. The weakest part was the motion that I had shortened and butt soldered! Strengtheners were later added and the loco was sold together with all my other handbuilt locos to the Handymans Shop in Oldham before I departed for sunnier climes by the sea. Plastikard remains a very useful modelling material to this day although we rarely see it used in loco construction......or do we?

Following in your 1970s footsteps, Larry, (Precursors and Princes) we currently have Londontram doing the Caley.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-steves-caledonian-loco-work-bench/

• Like 1

R R And R M comparison 5

Built using plasticard.

• Like 1

I recognise this as being from this video - almost at the end:

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-great-north-of-scotland-railway-films-1963/

• RMweb Premium

I've just complete the Deltic Bookazine for Irwell Press (to be published just prior to Christmas). Right at the end, I've included some model pictures; which, I hope, will prove of interest. 

attachicon.gif162 D9021 on Down FS.jpg

Pictures like this of D9021 taking the Down 'Flying Scotsman' underneath Marsh Bridge on LB. 

attachicon.gif163 D9003 on Up FS.jpg

Or D9003 on the Up train. 

attachicon.gif164 D9010 and D9015.jpg

D9010 and D9015 pass at Little Bytham's south end.

attachicon.gif165 D9011 0n Up QoS.jpg

And D9011 takes the southbound 'Queen of Scots' underneath the MR/M&GNR overbridge.

All the locos are modified/renumbered/renamed/weathered Bachmann items; the work of my elder son, Tom. It's a pity he spends his spare time now restoring classic cars, for he's a most-accomplished railway modeller. Strictly speaking, no production Deltics should run through LB, because the station was demolished two years before they appeared. Modeller's licence? 

Tony, modeller's licence (or Rule 1) is what keeps us all going I suspect.

The Flying Scotsman would look very nice with the "winged thistle" headboard. Precision Labels make one: http://www.precisionlabels.com/l40d.html (usual disclaimer).