Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

May I please thank everyone who's kept this thread running while I spend ten days away?

Just a few responses............

The fencing does need weathering, and will be done.

The analogy of a conductor with regard to my involvement with Little Bytham is very kind, but isn't really apposite for me. In many ways my 'gang' doesn't need any conducting. 

Put briefly, my practical involvement in the project consists of laying all the non-scenic track (plus all the MR/M&GNR section), installing much of the basic wiring/fitting point motors, doing a fair bit of the scenery, building/modifying most of the locos and building/modifying most of the passenger rolling stock. However, without the considerable help of others, it would all have come to nothing. 

Hornby Gresley carriages? Thanks, Brian, for showing that easier way of modifying them. I don't use them at source because there is so much wrong with them. Though the lower body panelling might now be right, the end profile/tumbleholme is horrid. I fit Gresley HD bogies as appropriate because I can see the difference at normal viewing distances. As I've also explained on many occasions, I use the Hornby Gresleys as donors, to make 'layout' carriages. 

What an impressive layout to photograph as well - a scale model of Carlisle in EM. By 'scale', I mean as near as makes no difference; as much as one can fit into a 30 metre-long (yes, 30 metres!) building. 

A hundred feet in real money!

Relevant link? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68919-carlisle-buildings-nelson-bridge/page-1

• RMweb Premium

I may get to visit Carlisle one day.....lots of weathering done, with more on my work bench. Some more sound to be fitted (I may have fitted DCC sound to more scratch and kit built locomotives than most of the DCC suppliers) all part of making the layout 'live'

Glad you enjoyed the visit.

And see, DCC does work!

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have indeed, Barry.

What an impressive layout to photograph as well - a scale model of Carlisle in EM. By 'scale', I mean as near as makes no difference; as much as one can fit into a 30 metre-long (yes, 30 metres!) building. 

There is a dual self-imposed embargo on any pictures (it's going in the RM next year), but it taxed by photographic 'abilities' to the limit (how does one light such a vast system?), but with my wonderful wife's help (firing flashguns all over the place during 15 seconds exposures), we did it. 

Seeing such a tremendous layout, with great work on it by many top modellers - yourself included - (and miles of plain track laying by the owner, so he is a contributor as well) impressed upon me what can be achieved given the space and resources. I even contributed to it - re-wheeling more Larry Goddard carriages than I've ever seen in one place before (over 100?), repairing wagons, re-wheeling umpteen Bachmann Mk.1s, making non-running locos run and painting part of a backscene.

Oh, and this was the best bit - DCC which works! Well, almost. We still had the stray run-away and the odd non-response, but (and it's me saying this!), I don't think it would be possible to run this layout without DCC. Mike Edge's wiring is thorough in the extreme, so it does work. Several of Mike's locos romped round on extremely-heavy trains, the likes of which no RTR conversion would look at. But, this is the clincher for me; all the signals and points are controlled by analogue, the switches strategically placed to mimic the signal box positions. Just like the real thing.

Along with Retford, I've never seen anything so impressive - scale modelling at its very best! The over 1,300 miles round trip was well worth it and we were regally looked after. 

Glad you liked it, can't wait to see your photos. Incidentally this layout was my first encounter with DCC, it's been a very steep learning curve!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad you liked it, can't wait to see your photos. Incidentally this layout was my first encounter with DCC, it's been a very steep learning curve!

Mike, I am absolutely blown away by this project. I have had the great pleasure of seeing Peter's buildings on Peterboroiugh North, however this series is just superb.

I too am so looking forward to being able to see Carlisle in all its' glory come January; thank you.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It really is incredible, Mike.

In discussion with the layout owner, it was his wish that the pictures were not shown until they appear in the RM next year. I respect and understand that position. However, given there are over 60 images to choose from, I think I can just let a sneak preview appear. 

attachicon.gifCarlisle 32B.jpg

This is the overall view from the south, showing at least two of your locos at work; hard at work! Just look at the length of the train behind that Prinny; just 'lost' in the environment. Peter Leyland's row of 'signature' buildings are behind the station.

If anyone wishes to see more, then look for Carlisle in the Railway Modeller next year. I hope I've done it justice, and there's still a lot more to do and more picture-taking visits planned.  

Tony

That photo says a alot as there are a goodly number of excellent Modellers work along with work from the owner and his other half. One day I might get to see it all...

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It really is incredible, Mike.

In discussion with the layout owner, it was his wish that the pictures were not shown until they appear in the RM next year. I respect and understand that position. However, given there are over 60 images to choose from, I think I can just let a sneak preview appear. 

attachicon.gifCarlisle 32B.jpg

This is the overall view from the south, showing at least two of your locos at work; hard at work! Just look at the length of the train behind that Prinny; just 'lost' in the environment. Peter Leyland's row of 'signature' buildings are behind the station.

If anyone wishes to see more, then look for Carlisle in the Railway Modeller next year. I hope I've done it justice, and there's still a lot more to do and more picture-taking visits planned.  

That took some lighting to get so much of the layout in one shot. From your photographer's position on St Nicholas bridge to Caldew bridge in the far distance everything is exactly to scale, no compression at all.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Michael, whilst looking for some decals for someone in the late Geoff Brewin's collection, I came across loads of 4mm LMS/LNWR and some BR loco and coach lining stuff  and a few sets of loco decal numbers (e.g Modlemaster Scots, Jubs and Corries).

I really do not need any of this and it needs a home.The Carlisle 'family' for example?

Happy to list by PM if you would like it or anyone can use it?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
Quote from someone I've part built a Triplet set for......."The period I'm modelling for the triplet is 1952 give or take a bit and it will be in crimson and cream for a Fred Olsen Line KX-TCQ so any ideas would always be very welcomed."

post-2326-0-63891700-1470044575_thumb.jpg

Can anyone just reassure me that the 'short Triplet' Comet set fits the bill for this (I'm fairly sure it does) and if so, what was the situation re the Kitchen Car windows at this time and the roof details re conduits and any thing else I might need to know? I ask as I have only ever researched the Maroon/1958 onward time slot.  Also I have only had to solder this up rather than do an almost complete build so the new owner could be encouraged by having information sources.

I have mentioned to him that I am fairly sure he needs HD bogie sides (MJT?) rather than the supplied Comet Standards.

Links would be useful as I can pass them on to my friend. 

Would the Isinglass Drawings give him all the info he needs? 

Many thanks indeed

Phil
Edited by Mallard60022

The shorter triplets would have been the most likely to be available as they were the oldest and so the first to be cascaded down from the principal services.  Somewhere on the Interweb there is a picture of a triplet from one of these TCQ services being towed behind a V3 to turn it on a triangle.

Roof conduits I'm not sure - were these converted back to anthracite from electricity and if so would that affect the external pipework?  Glazing remained unchanged from the LNER period as far as i know.

I do believe these had HD bogies throughout - certainly at the articulations - but the isinglass drawings will give you that information as well as which windows ought to be white.

Quote from someone I've part built a Triplet set for......."The period I'm modelling for the triplet is 1952 give or take a bit and it will be in crimson and cream for a Fred Olsen Line KX-TCQ so any ideas would always be very welcomed."

Can anyone just reassure me that the 'short Triplet' Comet set fits the bill for this (I'm fairly sure it does) and if so, what was the situation re the Kitchen Car windows at this time and the roof details re conduits and any thing else I might need to know? I ask as I have only ever researched the Maroon/1958 onward time slot.  Also I have only had to solder this up rather than do an almost complete build so the new owner could be encouraged by having information sources.
I have mentioned to him that I am fairly sure he needs HD bogie sides (MJT?) rather than the supplied Comet Standards.
Links would be useful as I can pass them on to my friend. 
Would the Isinglass Drawings give him all the info he needs? 
Many thanks indeed
Phil

Phil,

The Isinglass drawing shows most things you'll need. I have a copy somewhere I'm sure, so you're most welcome to borrow this.

Definitely 8' 6" heavy-Duty bogies all round (the later-built triplets for the Silver Jubilee and 1938 Scotsman had 10' HD bogies at the articulated points) and all the kitchen windows white. Don't forget, no grab handles or rails on the Kitchen Car doors (to prevent members of the public stepping straight into the kitchen). 

MJT does the perfect HD bogie. Comet never bothered. When I asked Malcolm why, he said 'It's only twerps like you who notice!'. 

That took some lighting to get so much of the layout in one shot. From your photographer's position on St Nicholas bridge to Caldew bridge in the far distance everything is exactly to scale, no compression at all.

It did take some lighting, Mike.

Two large multi-flood heads bounced off the ceiling, then Mo and me walking around the scene firing flash guns (Metz CT 60s flat-out) towards strategic points during the (at least) 15 second exposure. I stuck the camera on a mini tripod, fired it via a ten second delay and hoped for the best. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

The Isinglass drawing shows most things you'll need. I have a copy somewhere I'm sure, so you're most welcome to borrow this.

Definitely 8' 6" heavy-Duty bogies all round (the later-built triplets for the Silver Jubilee and 1938 Scotsman had 10' HD bogies at the articulated points) and all the kitchen windows white. Don't forget, no grab handles or rails on the Kitchen Car doors (to prevent members of the public stepping straight into the kitchen). 

MJT does the perfect HD bogie. Comet never bothered. When I asked Malcolm why, he said 'It's only twerps like you who notice!'. 

Thanks Tony. I'm a twerp as well then!!!!!

Now that Geoff has passed away I feel I can say he tried hard to improve upon that sort of attitude with much success. Andrew H (remember those conversations about who might take Comet forward?) is also very happy to accept thoughts and I have pointed out that nowhere in the Triplet instructions does it say only two bogies need to be built as per instructions. The 'artics' do not need the 'bolster fittings'. I also think he has brought a refreshing attitude to obtaining the Comet Range through mail order/pay online.

Thank you for the info. Much as I thought but 1952 is too early for my previous investigations.

Sincerely,

Phil (much revived by the way.......and so envious of your visit to 'Carlisle. That is one amazing layout)

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regard to the LNER triplet dining sets, and the variations, please?

I think you might get some pretty good responses on here..................I certainly have. One thing I found so useful was actually seeing the things on Tony W's and Gilbert B's layouts (BR versions) and some on LNER layouts, one being in Australia if I remember correctly?

You could try a search on line?

Phil

I cannot detect a bulb on that solebar.

Just looks like the lower flange is rolled to a tapered, rounded edge.

Not saying there isn't one but that photo doesn't show it.

The top edge of the solebar.