Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

If you fancy modelling this traffic, my transfer Sheet BL159 - BR steam / early diesel era transfers for all diagrams of SIPHON vans used in revenue service, may well be of interest.

See http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood

Hi John,

yes, I would be interested. Do your the transfer sheets include the roof board or just the route workings board on the side?

I'm often asked to take a look at products, use them and comment on them. 

Since my technophobia is well-known, I approached the installation of a LD tail lamp from Train-Tech with some trepidation. 

post-18225-0-62378100-1479556904_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-39929800-1479556907_thumb.jpg

These are the bits one gets from Train-Tech. It can also be used for a firebox glow effect, entirely independent of the track-supply. 

post-18225-0-17112900-1479556909_thumb.jpg

I fitted the unit into a Bachmann brake van - an absolute doddle, merely requiring eight handrails to be temporarily detached to get the body off easily. 

post-18225-0-40532900-1479556911_thumb.jpg

The LED just needs painting when installed. 

post-18225-0-11045500-1479556913_thumb.jpg

And, it works. It only comes on when the vehicle is in motion. Stationary, it goes off after four minutes. 

I'm writing a little piece on for Bachmann Times. 

For a full list of what this enterprising firm produces visit www.dcpexpress.com 

sales@dcpmicro.com

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

61145_Swindon_c1953_crop-m_zpspglyhvup.j

Closer view of the van. Unfortunately the image is not very sharp.

Fascinating little train,

As you will know Robert we are modeling the southbound train. This is not as interesting as the northbound train because it is basically four WR and ER carriages alternating. However, it does allow us to run one of the last Sheffield Atlantics on the service. For those interested, the northbound carriages were dispatched at Swindon off the 10.35am Swansea-Paddington express. The Siphon C and two thirds were added to the train for the run from Swindon up to Sheffield. It is hoped that the train may be moved to the northbound direction to include these vehicles. Photographs would seem to show that the two added carriages were of ER origin, hence why the carriage in the photo appears to be of GE origin? (a GE expert may be able to confirm) It is not known if the two additions alternated with WR stock or if they were running as ECS. The Siphon C returned MO on the overnight York Bristol service. This southbound service has also been modeled so an alternative place for the Siphon may be found here. It's tempting to read the route board as 'To work between Cane and Sheffield. It sounds as John would have the definitive answer.

I have another shot, that presently I am unable to find, of what I remember to be a Siphon G. It had a similar board to that on the Siphon C but all I recall of it was the wording 'via Banbury'. I think that this vehicle was part of the Rabbits as far as Sheffield.

• Like 1

I fitted the unit into a Bachmann brake van - an absolute doddle, merely requiring eight handrails to be temporarily detached to get the body off easily. 

The LED just needs painting when installed. 

Is there any way of making it less bright Tony?

Pete

Fascinating little train,

As you will know Robert we are modeling the southbound train. This is not as interesting as the northbound train because it is basically four WR and ER carriages alternating. However, it does allow us to run one of the last Sheffield Atlantics on the service. For those interested, the northbound carriages were dispatched at Swindon off the 10.35am Swansea-Paddington express. The Siphon C and two thirds were added to the train for the run from Swindon up to Sheffield. It is hoped that the train may be moved to the northbound direction to include these vehicles. Photographs would seem to show that the two added carriages were of ER origin, hence why the carriage in the photo appears to be of GE origin? (a GE expert may be able to confirm) It is not known if the two additions alternated with WR stock or if they were running as ECS. The Siphon C returned MO on the overnight York Bristol service. This southbound service has also been modeled so an alternative place for the Siphon may be found here. It's tempting to read the route board as 'To work between Cane and Sheffield. It sounds as John would have the definitive answer.

I have another shot, that presently I am unable to find, of what I remember to be a Siphon G. It had a similar board to that on the Siphon C but all I recall of it was the wording 'via Banbury'. I think that this vehicle was part of the Rabbits as far as Sheffield.

I think it might say To Work Between Calne and Bristol TM, just to confuse matters.

Pete

It probably cheaper to do DIY. This were done a good few years ago using Springside lamps and nowadays there are more realistic head & tail lamps available from the likes of Lanarkshire Model Supplies & Modelu. The components for these assemblies cost coppers.

post-508-0-54096300-1479563036_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-29612800-1479563083_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-27223700-1479563221.jpg

P

Edit:  Forgot to say; I used a 4700Ω resistor powered from a CR2025 3 volt battery to get the LED to what looked like an a reasonable level of brightness. (Might have been better to say "dimness".)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I think it might say To Work Between Calne and Bristol TM, just to confuse matters.

So the B1 must be working a Calne Bristol train with ex LNER stock! Just kidding. It's a great photo but a little late for the period being modeled, better to put it to one side to avoid confusion. Do you have any opinions on the two third class carriages added to the northbound service at Swindon? The WR CWN says that they are WR booked stock but I have only photographs of ER stock added to the front of the northbound train. I was wondering if they were extras added to the Friday York Swansea service, particular if this was the WR set. Under these circumstances, I can understand them being returned north separately. I have a photograph of the Friday ER set coming south with an assorted collection of strengtheners behind the loco. Again if they were required for the Friday service only they may have been dealt with separately from the main formation. Although the two sets alternated I'm not clear which worked on north or south on a particular day. Do you have any information?

Edited by Headstock

Pete

Pete,

There is. 

There are two positions for inserting the LED, one giving more volts than the other. I chose the brighter setting for the purposes of taking the picture, using nothing but the light from the LED and the ambient lighting in my studio (with the blinds drawn and no lights on). 'In normal' lighting conditions, it's nowhere near as bright. And, more realistic. 

post-18225-0-65185900-1479566921_thumb.jpg

In this shot the lamp is lit.

post-18225-0-52507300-1479566692_thumb.jpg

And in this one it's not. It's just discernible, but this picture represents daylight. At 'dusk' it really comes into its own. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are also some LED lights available ready made from DCC Concepts. I have used some in signals, as although they are sold for use on locos etc, they are close enough for signals. I haven't measured them but they look very close to scale size and the handles are the tiniest bit of thin wire that I have ever seen on a model railway product. They supply them with three resistors to vary the brightness.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/lamps-lighting-and-signals/loco-and-rolling-stock-lamps/

Is the link to look at.

Edited by t-b-g

So the B1 must be working a Calne Bristol train with ex LNER stock! Just kidding. It's a great photo but a little late for the period being modeled, better to put it to one side to avoid confusion. Do you have any opinions on the two third class carriages added to the northbound service at Swindon? The WR CWN says that they are WR booked stock but I have only photographs of ER stock added to the front of the northbound train. I was wondering if they were extras added to the Friday York Swansea service, particular if this was the WR set. Under these circumstances, I can understand them being returned north separately. I have a photograph of the Friday ER set coming south with an assorted collection of strengtheners behind the loco. Again if they were required for the Friday service only they may have been dealt with separately from the main formation. Although the two sets alternated I'm not clear which worked on north or south on a particular day. Do you have any information?

I can't really add anything further. The late 1940s and early 1950s WR books I have that show the Siphon C list it as being at the rear and there is no mention of strengthening carriages from the ER.  Possibly as you suggest a convenient way of returning odds and ends added to other trains. As for the Siphon C at the front, perhaps it was simply easier to put it there.

Pete,

There is. 

There are two positions for inserting the LED, one giving more volts than the other. I chose the brighter setting for the purposes of taking the picture, using nothing but the light from the LED and the ambient lighting in my studio (with the blinds drawn and no lights on). 'In normal' lighting conditions, it's nowhere near as bright. And, more realistic. 

attachicon.gifDsc_5935.jpg

In this shot the lamp is lit.

attachicon.gifDSC_5940.JPG

And in this one it's not. It's just discernible, but this picture represents daylight. At 'dusk' it really comes into its own. 

I hope this helps. 

It looks very Christmassy, like a cherry on a piece of icing. It even has the wires for the Christmas decorations hanging out of the back.

I can't really add anything further. The late 1940s and early 1950s WR books I have that show the Siphon C list it as being at the rear and there is no mention of strengthening carriages from the ER.  Possibly as you suggest a convenient way of returning odds and ends added to other trains. As for the Siphon C at the front, perhaps it was simply easier to put it there.

PM sent.

It looks very Christmassy, like a cherry on a piece of icing. It even has the wires for the Christmas decorations hanging out of the back.

Andrew,

With the greatest of respect I'm not sure what to make of some comments.

Perhaps it does look Christmassy, though the wires are more prominent in my picture than to the naked eye. The figure disguises the wires from the side.

Whether this product is meant for the 'serious' modeller, I'm not sure; probably not. The proprietor, a most generous and genuine man, is producing products like this to encourage folk to 'have a go themselves'. To go beyond just buying stuff complete and try 'personalising' something. Dismantling the brake van in question was not difficult and fixing in the LED and its battery were simplicity itself. He had several products at the Spalding Show, including this one and, if nothing else, they seemed of great interest to the youngsters. Even if the thing does look like a cherry-topped piece of confection (because I take razor-sharp pictures), if it brings youngsters into the hobby, then does that matter? Had I the time, I'd have fashioned a handle of some description and made it look more like a tail lamp.

At a time when a very large number of modellers seem to be either using stuff straight from the box or getting others to do their modelling for them, I think producing something for people to tackle themselves - at Yuletide; how apposite - should be encouraged, even if it looks 'edible'.

I'm sure many will disagree with me.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

All the above

I'm convinced and look forward to reading your article in the next MRJ when it's available ( now that's another thread if ever I saw one )

Most convivial Mr.Wright and pleases my eyes enormous.

Tony

I like the idea of the brake van tail light. It would work on O Gauge as well with a scaled up 3D printed lamp. If the light is considered too bright it could be toned down with some red paint, less expensive than a resistor.

I presume the same fitting could also be used for an end of passenger coach rake?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Great set of pictures Tony. I particularly liked the 1st, 6th and final one. Thank you for sharing those tonight.

One thing I have noticed at the few shows I have been to is that youngsters and many mature layout owners like things like the tail lamp and that sort of gadget. OK so those layout owners tend not to be in the P4 league, however they enjoy the fun things such as your B Van lamp.

Phil