Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

David,

your spot on, it closed on 18th June 1962 and I walked past it everyday on the way to & from school,but would have been so certain that it closed in 1963.

So No --  to either Cricklewood or Willesden MPD's eventually would be the correct answer.

Regards,Derek.

PS :- the 3 Jubilee's allocated to Neasden left in 1959 having only  spent a matter of months there.

Edited by CUTLER2579

Morning Tony,

Pardon the diversion, but I thought you'd be interested to see this. You may remember handing me some prehistoric etches for GN 6 wheelers or twins at Doncaster? I'm still none the wiser about David Gray, the chap who seems to have made them, although I have sourced some instructions and I gather there were more in the range.

What I have done is rebuilt the one which had been started and after Warley I hope to have the parts to complete it. Bogies are temporary (as I hope is obvious)

gn_bt_twin_zpsmgiwoim7.jpg

I'm taking the option to build it as a BT/T twin.

Jonathan,

Of course I'm interested, though I'd quite forgotten handing the etches over. 

Were they all right? They looked a bit wobbly to me. Looking at the work you've done, they must have been or you've done a great job, probably a bit of both. 

Interestingly, I was looking underneath the layout today to see whether anything remained from the collections of the late husbands of widows or bits and pieces sold for friends. Apart from some narrow-gauge bogies (what they're for, I have no idea) and some Peco OO9 buffer stops, that's it - nothing. Either Mo and I have been good sales folk or I've priced items too cheaply; maybe the latter, though thousands have been made now for families and some monies for charities. A cheque for Cancer Research went off today (made up, in part, by Mr. Duck - thanks again, Phil). 

Once more, may I please thank all those who've bought items from Mo and me over the last year or so? Especially those who've paid a little bit more so that donations could go to charities. They know who they are. 

I've also offered to assist in the finding of new homes for some very nice OO pieces; once more on the behalf of the family of a deceased collector. I'll keep folk posted and post pictures in time. 

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan,

Of course I'm interested, though I'd quite forgotten handing the etches over. 

Were they all right? They looked a bit wobbly to me. Looking at the work you've done, they must have been or you've done a great job, probably a bit of both. 

Interestingly, I was looking underneath the layout today to see whether anything remained from the collections of the late husbands of widows or bits and pieces sold for friends. Apart from some narrow-gauge bogies (what they're for, I have no idea) and some Peco OO9 buffer stops, that's it - nothing. Either Mo and I have been good sales folk or I've priced items too cheaply; maybe the latter, though thousands have been made now for families and some monies for charities. A cheque for Cancer Research went off today (made up, in part, by Mr. Duck - thanks again, Phil). 

Once more, may I please thank all those who've bought items from Mo and me over the last year or so? Especially those who've paid a little bit more so that donations could go to charities. They know who they are. 

I've also offered to assist in the finding of new homes for some very nice OO pieces; once more on the behalf of the family of a deceased collector. I'll keep folk posted and post pictures in time. 

Tony, you may not want to hear this but there is more. I have been so shocked & moved of late by some of the things I have been hearing and seeing about people that just seem to have nothing or have situations or conditions that make my minor gripes seem completely pathetic that I have needed to take action. So my friend, my wish is that many things of mine will go before I do. I don't want anyone to be dealing with piles of unsorted gubbins. OK some time in the future there will be a layout in some sort of state and a decent collection of stock to deal with. There will be some items that I have had made for me that will be to a professional standard and there will be the usual collection of trickery items that someone(s) will be able to use.  Hopefully the latter part of the 'deal' will be some way away but it's best to plan things; must be my OC condition or years of having to plan a timetable?

You will be pleased to hear that much of the 'to go' items are probably not things I would pass before your eyes (e.g. EM DCC Diesels) but there may be a few things to keep the 'donations' cash-flow ticking over.

Apologies for market stall post.

ATB

Mr.Duck

Edited by Mallard60022

Blimey, Phil, I feel a bit of a lightweight bringing it back to toy trains after that.

But, to the job in hand. It's been a trip into the prehistory of etched kits, or feels like it. The brass is very thin, there are very few fold lines (and those there are are too wide) and in places the kit just hadn't been test built - the folded tab to solder end to side goes over the slot for the ducket, for example.

I was able to source a set of instructions (thanks to Andrew Emmett, who I know reads this) from which I learn that there were other kits in the range. Andrew also tells me that there were originally castings and a vac formed roof with the etches.

Now I've built the first one I can see what needs to be done; I've made a brass roof and added bits of angle to the shell which have made it much more rigid. For the rest, I'll substitute brass angle for the very floppy solebars, which should make the floor much more rigid. Most of the castings I can get hold of and MJT Fox bogies will be more accurate than the BSL Gresleys recommended in the instructions. Some of the original design makes you wonder - fold up a very thin brass solebar, then glue 3mm plastic strip, edge on, to form a step. I wonder how long they lasted? Of course, the major test of making the beading (with Evergreen strip) remains ahead.

By the time we get back from Warley I should have most of what's needed to finish them and I've had the offer of a look at drawings at Wakefield this weekend.

Tony, you may not want to hear this but there is more. I have been so shocked & moved of late by some of the things I have been hearing and seeing about people that just seem to have nothing or have situations or conditions that make my minor gripes seem completely pathetic that I have needed to take action. So my friend, my wish is that many things of mine will go before I do. I don't want anyone to be dealing with piles of unsorted gubbins. OK some time in the future there will be a layout in some sort of state and a decent collection of stock to deal with. There will be some items that I have had made for me that will be to a professional standard and there will be the usual collection of trickery items that someone(s) will be able to use.  Hopefully the latter part of the 'deal' will be some way away but it's best to plan things; must be my OC condition or years of having to plan a timetable?

You will be pleased to hear that much of the 'to go' items are probably not things I would pass before your eyes (e.g. EM DCC Diesels) but there may be a few things to keep the 'donations' cash-flow ticking over.

ATB

Mr.Duck

Phil,

I never want to not hear something from you. 

Anything I can do to help to find new homes for whatever you want to sell, please, just ask. 

I've checked with Andy York and he doesn't mind this sort of thing on this thread at all. Indeed, on Wednesday I'll be collecting several models from the partner of a deceased friend with a view to finding some new homes for them. A percentage of any sales will go to Cancer Research (my friend died from it). 

Though you'll never say it yourself, you have donated a fair bit to charities by donating percentages of what I've sold on your behalf, and, in the case of a 4F, the lot! Many thanks indeed, my friend. All I can say is that I donate my time (and a bit of dosh now and then). There are many who are far worse off. Perhaps some of those who seem to constantly find things to 'moan' about in this hobby might think on that, though I admit to being a bit of a moaner myself. 

Speaking of moaning; actually the opposite of it, I've just had fantastic service from Bachmann. This has nothing to do with my knowing the staff there quite well because I'm no longer professionally involved in the hobby. I just wanted some spares and, no trouble. 

I'll be writing up a little piece for Bachmann Times as a 'thank you'. 

post-18225-0-60440200-1479420296_thumb.jpg

More non-moaning. At a times when the hobby seems (or at least it does to me) to being so dominated by RTR and the decline of folk actually making things for themselves, what about this? A scratch-built (in Plastikard and metal) GWR railmotor in O Gauge, made by my friend Phil Crathorne from Wolverhampton.

Speaking of Wolverhampton, now a moan! The weekend before last I was at the Wolves Show and driving to the venue of the Saturday morning I inadvertently went into a bus lane, for about 40 yards - at just before eight in the morning. No other cars and certainly no buses. Last time I drove that stretch (about a decade ago) there was no bus lane. I'm now £30.00 the poorer. What a bleedin' easy 'nick'. My dictionary of profanity was put to good use. 

post-18225-0-06152800-1479420720_thumb.jpg

To finish on something completely different..............

Another Wulfrunian mate made this in 7mm scale - an amalgam of Cuban, Patagonian and Argentinian narrow gauge by Ned Williams. Weird, don't you think? And, is that a GEM point lever in the foreground? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I've just completed the Millholme H16, this morning making and fitting the motion  - please, don't ask!

I don't think these big Feltham trip tanks ventured very far from home. 

A report on the kit's construction will appear in BRM. 

A fine & powerful looking loco Tony!

I am sure that I have some eminently suitable trains for her to haul...

Look forward to seeing the paint job in due course.

Tony

• Like 2

I have another photo of possibly the same siphon departing Swindon on the Swansea Sheffield service. One of the roof boards is just readable as 'Wiltshire sausages Calne'. A question for you if I may, would you happen to know what type of GWR vehicle would be designated BY?

The most likely candidate would be one of the 'Milk Train Brake Vans' to Diagram O.13. Built as Pharmacy Cars during WW1, they subsequently became 'Milk Train Brake Vans', and lasted until the early 1960s. An example survives at the Severn Valley, apparently.

@Phil Mallard 60022

I doubt I'm alone in saying whilst we recognise why you want to ensure your affairs are in order, we all hope we continue to be subjected to your warbling, admire your modelling and benefit from your generous practical advise for a considerable period of time...

David

• RMweb Premium

Another Wulfrunian mate made this in 7mm scale - an amalgam of Cuban, Patagonian and Argentinian narrow gauge by Ned Williams. Weird, don't you think? And, is that a GEM point lever in the foreground?

Ned Williams the Black Country historian presumably? I didn't know he was a modeller and I certainly wouldn't have expected his modelling interest to be 'fantasy global' (I've just made that Genre up).

I'm guessing the bus lane trap was climbing out of town between the Heath town flats.

andy

Tony, I love South American railways, they are totally freelance prototype. Thank you for posting and can we have more please?

Why not? This line at one time had wooden rails.

It was way down south in Patagonia. The weather was so bad that I only took a few photos.

post-149-0-29250900-1479458905.jpg

Bernard

• Like 9

The most likely candidate would be one of the 'Milk Train Brake Vans' to Diagram O.13. Built as Pharmacy Cars during WW1, they subsequently became 'Milk Train Brake Vans', and lasted until the early 1960s. An example survives at the Severn Valley, apparently.

Thanks for the information, it sounds like the sort of thing I am looking for. Did they spend their latter days in general parcels traffic?

Those "ancient" coaches etches look like the ex GNR set made many years ago by an outfit called J&M models. They issued these in 4mm and 7mm. I did make the 4mm ones up may years ago but sold them on. (I think they made them as RTR for G1 too at a very high cost at that time They made a compact train.)

Mallard has hit on an interesting topic. I have (like most) accumulated a vast amount of stuff over the yerars, some of which lies in boxes having been built but not run since. I am rapidly coming around to the view that it is useless sitting in boxes and would be better being used by someone. Now I am speaking about 7mm. Some of you 4mm types must have locos running into the hundreds. Are they all used or are they a potential problem to your heirs? We cannot rely on a Tony and Mo to do the right thing in the future. We do we do?

Martin Long

Ned Williams the Black Country historian presumably? I didn't know he was a modeller and I certainly wouldn't have expected his modelling interest to be 'fantasy global' (I've just made that Genre up).

I'm guessing the bus lane trap was climbing out of town between the Heath town flats.

andy

Andy,

Yes and no. 

Yes, it is the same Ned.

No, it was on Stafford Road/Stafford Street, just before the turn-off for Cannock. 

Tony, I love South American railways, they are totally freelance prototype. Thank you for posting and can we have more please?

Mike,

I hope these'll do. post-18225-0-70710500-1479502541_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-77410300-1479502544_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-10904000-1479502547_thumb.jpg

Ned's going to do a write-up for Continental Modeller, so look out for it there in due course. 

Now to subjects I know a little more about. 

post-18225-0-61355600-1479502533_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-41707500-1479502535_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-96903800-1479502538_thumb.jpg

Today, I visited an old teacher-training mate (we met nearly 50 years ago!) and I took some pictures of what he's building - a potted Copley Hill (he lives in Leeds). 

Apologies for the less-than-good pictures, but they're really only snapshots. At the moment there are lots of mock-ups and there's still lots to do. I think what appeals (as always) is that he's doing it all by himself in the main, with just a little help from a friend.  

• Like 9

ATB

Mr.Duck

Thinking about this post I reckon quite a lot of us are in a similar situation, or will be as time passes. Some have a lot (sometimes too many) models, books etc in our respective collections that will need to be disposed of somehow. Passing proceeds of sales to charitable causes especially medical research is a very noble action. But it's (the disposal process) not that simple. We can't ask Tony to sell everything !!

Just a thought here. Every town has charity shops selling household bric a brac / clothing etc, What about a non profit making shop / organisation dealing with and selling on such model / book collections ?. Of course every town could not support such a concern - but perhaps one shop dealing nationwide may be viable. Folks like us would gift our collections (or parts of them we no longer require) and stipulate the charity / organisation that would benefit from the sale. Current modellers would benefit from the supply of such goods. The shop / organisation would take its running costs / overheads via a % of the sale, and the executors of estates (our families) would have an easy disposal route to charitable organisations for at least a part of their loved ones collections.

As I said, just a thought.

Brit15

• Like 3

Thinking about this post I reckon quite a lot of us are in a similar situation, or will be as time passes. Some have a lot (sometimes too many) models, books etc in our respective collections that will need to be disposed of somehow. Passing proceeds of sales to charitable causes especially medical research is a very noble action. But it's (the disposal process) not that simple. We can't ask Tony to sell everything !!

Just a thought here. Every town has charity shops selling household bric a brac / clothing etc, What about a non profit making shop / organisation dealing with and selling on such model / book collections ?. Of course every town could not support such a concern - but perhaps one shop dealing nationwide may be viable. Folks like us would gift our collections (or parts of them we no longer require) and stipulate the charity / organisation that would benefit from the sale. Current modellers would benefit from the supply of such goods. The shop / organisation would take its running costs / overheads via a % of the sale, and the executors of estates (our families) would have an easy disposal route to charitable organisations for at least a part of their loved ones collections.

As I said, just a thought.

Brit15

An interesting thought - worthy of further investigation. 

I know the Gauge O Guild has an 'executor' service (have a described it properly?) which will sell models on behalf of widows/families of the deceased. 

What my wife and I did (do) with regard to finding new homes for models (I hate the term 'disposing' of them) really came about by accident; by helping the widow of a friend, then it just grew. I suppose because I have a reasonable number of contacts, it was made easier. 

One problem I find now in finding new homes for models is the current RTR situation. By that I mean, price parity, or, more important, price difference. May I cite an example, please? One loco I'll be looking for a new home for is a B17, which I'll be collecting on Wednesday. It's made (quite well) from a Cornard/McGowan kit and appears to be fitted on to a Jamieson chassis. It's reasonably painted in LNER green. It was first up for sale at the Spalding Show last weekend, on the Club's SH stand. The price asked was £95.00. Even by back-of-fag-packet sums, that wouldn't have covered the cost of the bits by a long way. Was there any interest? Nothing! Why? Not because the model wasn't any good, but Hornby B17s seem to be going for around £80.00 (or less?) from some outlets. They might not be in LNER green (I don't know) but how can a modest kit-built loco compete with that? 

I've had a DJH A1 kit (part started) for sale at some shows. I first asked £60.00, then £50.00, then £40.00. No go. Whether E-bay can realise higher prices I don't know, never having used it. 

My fear (if fear is the right word) is that collections in future will really struggle to make anything like their true worth. As those who remember steam (and model it) die off (remember it's over 48 years since BR's last steam locos ran in general service), those buying such models of the deceased are much the same age. The number of potential buyers will naturally shrink yet the number of models coming into it will increase. Compound that with the rise of high-quality and really good value RTR items in opposition to anything kit-built, then the future is very uncertain for collections, or, at least, that's my view; having just started dabbling in it. 

You're just weird mate !

Good job I know ya thought :)