Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Larry,

We represented a patch of burnt cutting on Stoke Summit.  If you look closely, you can see it in the following pictures, but I don't think I ever did a digital close-up.

It would appear it didn't sell on ebay. Too big? Too expensive? Seen too much? Who knows? 

Looks good. If you just set fire to yer scenery, it probably wouldn't look realistic.  Shame it didn't sell. Stoke Summit is actually much closer to what I have in mind for my next layout, although a cutting is out because the baseboards need all the light there is. I just love the Austerity picture....An inspiration.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, I don't recall ever seeing the very familiar blackened embankments modelled by anyone.

Not as an impressive embankment as Stoke Summit but I have a small section of burnt embankment on my Fisherton Sarum layout

post-243-0-58679000-1402736461.jpg

I think this might be the first instance of a Southern interloper on this fascinating thread...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Stoke Summit is a great layout but it really was about the trains. There can't be that many people who have the funds or stock to do it justice.

Unfortunately I also believe second hand layouts just don't realise their true worth (in time materials and effort) when being sold. At DRAG we are currently renovating a superb proffesionally built P4 layout which the late owner's family failed to sell. We saved it from the skip and it cost us nothing.

I absolutely loved the concept of Stoke Summit though and if I ever come into infinite time and infinite funds I'd love to build an equivilant for the western region :)

Not as an impressive embankment as Stoke Summit but I have a small section of burnt embankment on my Fisherton Sarum layout

attachicon.gifFisherton Sarum - LR - 9.jpg

I think this might be the first instance of a Southern interloper on this fascinating thread...

I hope the thread gets more Southern stuff, especially of such a high calibre.

Is the rebuilt 'Paddleboat' (or 'Paddlebox') from a DJH kit? I mention this because I mechanically rebuilt one for a late friend and it turned out very well, if a bit heavy.

As we are on the subject of summits and embankments I will take this opportunity to throw in a little 2mm/SDJR which I know Tony dosen't mind now and again.

This is N gauge this time (built for a customer) and  shows 53804 and 53808 climbing steadily south through Chilcompton tunnel  toward Masbury summit in the early 1950s with a SO holiday express to Bournemoth. This, like Stoke Summit, is very much a parade ground for a procession of S&D trains from the post war period.

attachicon.gif21-9352863b.jpg

Jerry

What exquisite modelling; so evocative and so realistic. Unfortunately, I only saw the S&D right at its fag end when most of the through trains had been diverted away. But, with models like that, the memory lives on.

Might I though, make one suggestion? I know its a bit of a fiddle, but since whoever built that beautiful pair of S&D 2-8-0s took the trouble to fit lamp irons, why not fit lamps? Even more so, considering the S&D's unique arrangement for showing the status of its trains. But that's my being a bit nit-picky.

Wonderful, nonetheless. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

What exquisite modelling; so evocative and so realistic. Unfortunately, I only saw the S&D right at its fag end when most of the through trains had been diverted away. But, with models like that, the memory lives on.

Might I though, make one suggestion? I know its a bit of a fiddle, but since whoever built that beautiful pair of S&D 2-8-0s took the trouble to fit lamp irons, why not fit lamps? Even more so, considering the S&D's unique arrangement for showing the status of its trains. But that's my being a bit nit-picky.

Wonderful, nonetheless. 

Many thanks Tony.

I fully agree about the lamps - I'll have a word! I will be seeing the owner in the next couple of weeks as I'm doing a bit of work on his interpretation of the north end of Devonshire tunnel.

Jerry

I've no recollection of ever previously seeing  a picture or model of a rebuilt paddlebox 4-6-0. I can see the appeal of one as an enigmatic model. I have (as must be obvious) no interest at all in matters that might be described as "LMS" yet I do find quirks such as the L & Y Dreadnought 4-6-0s, and Cumming's Highland Railway 4-6-0 Clans compellingly attractive. 

• RMweb Gold

I hope the thread gets more Southern stuff, especially of such a high calibre.

Is the rebuilt 'Paddleboat' (or 'Paddlebox') from a DJH kit? I mention this because I mechanically rebuilt one for a late friend and it turned out very well, if a bit heavy.

Hi Tony and Graham

It is indeed a T14 rebuilt 'Paddlebox' and is built from a Nu-Cast kit and yes although heavy she is a good runner and a regular on Fisherton Sarum. I did cheat a little as the part of the valve gear that comes through and above the running plate is fixed...

Further information on the T14 can be found on own blog here http://grahammuz.com/2012/11/16/talking-stock-18-drummonds-t14-class-4-6-0-he-had-to-get-one-almost-right/

Below is another view of her on Fisherton Sarum, heading East on a Meldon Ballast train, for good measure.

post-243-0-02303300-1402785343_thumb.jpg

ps the sharp eyed amongst you will notice she in early 1948 livery on this side but pre 1948 in the picture in the previous post. Its a trait of mine with a number of items of my stock being in slightly different eras on each side...

• Like 8

I've no recollection of ever previously seeing a picture or model of a rebuilt paddlebox 4-6-0.

It's not a rebuilt Paddlebox but Martin Finney's model of the original T14 was a worthy winner of a top award at Scaleforum a few years ago.

Finney-T14_5364.jpg

Photo credit: Philip Hall

Edited by mlgilbert30
  • Like 11

Hi Tony and Graham

It is indeed a T14 rebuilt 'Paddlebox' and is built from a Nu-Cast kit and yes although heavy she is a good runner and a regular on Fisherton Sarum. I did cheat a little as the part of the valve gear that comes through and above the running plate is fixed...

Further information on the T14 can be found on own blog here http://grahammuz.com/2012/11/16/talking-stock-18-drummonds-t14-class-4-6-0-he-had-to-get-one-almost-right/

Below is another view of her on Fisherton Sarum, heading East on a Meldon Ballast train, for good measure.

attachicon.gif1000_nevard_130213_FishertnSraum.jpg

ps the sharp eyed amongst you will notice she in early 1948 livery on this side but pre 1948 in the picture in the previous post. Its a trait of mine with a number of items of my stock being in slightly different eras on each side...

Thanks Graham,

Perhaps my late friend's loco was from Nu-Cast, not DJH. I'm afraid I get muddled up these days, and it was a long time ago!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Coachman 

Yes I once had an etched Jendeco version of the T14 kit to build but decided the etchings were not that great and also the etched holes on the chassis side frames were so large they were greater in size than the outside diameter of the bearings! It ended up on ebay.

Hi Coachman 

Yes I once had an etched Jendeco version of the T14 kit to built but decided the etchings were not that great and also the etched holes on the chassis side frames were so large they were greater in size than the outside diameter of the bearings! It ended up on ebay.

That I can believe. Jidenco kits looked heaven-sent when first introduced, until folk tried to build them. Painting and lining the locos after someone else had done the hard bit wasn't too bad though.... :mosking: 

• Like 1

Firstly, Jidenco kits. In my building of over 400 locos for myself and customers, the only two that ever defeated me were a pair of Jidenco 'Claughtons' - one small-boilered, one large-boilered, the pair in one 'presentation' box. If I recall, there was no aperture in the footplate/firebox to take a motor and the splashers didn't match the diameter of the wheels. Very little appeared to fit properly and some of the laminates were so thin as to cockle just at the sight of the iron. Someone had started both by attempting to build both tenders and parts of the loco footplates. It was an unmitigated mess. Reluctantly, I dismantled part of the ghastly work (50% caused by the kit and 50% the grotty building). Matters weren't improved and I handed the lot back, charging no fee. I should have been warned by the presence of several hairs amongst the parts! 

Now for things that do go together................

post-18225-0-09493300-1403040280_thumb.jpg

Work continues on the Hornby Gresley conversions, the next two in line being a Bill Bedford Compo and a Mike Trice BG.

post-18225-0-51987700-1403040286_thumb.jpg

I've finished the BG entirely myself because it's for me. Gilbert should finish the Compo tomorrow.

post-18225-0-49821300-1403040293_thumb.jpg

A 'proper' job would be to narrow the underframe (it's too wide as supplied and adding replacement sides exacerbates the problem). Others have done it properly and commented. Since double figure numbers of carriages are contemplated, I satisfy myself by removing about a mil' and a bit by scraping along the length of the underframe in this fashion. It's quicker and it works, but the solebars are still too far out I admit. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

How strange that the description of the wiry hairs which appear post-adolescence on certain private parts of the body has been crossed-out in the post above. 

Are they the ones I used to call public when I was small?

A builder once told me the Jidenko Whale or Bowen Cooke LNWR Tender 'wrapper' did not fit around the top plate etch. Being a simple soul, I would have made a plastikard wrapper with its rounded back corners and obtained measurements from that before drawing artwork for etching (pre-CAD days).

Re. the Gresley Full Brake, I made a complete woof of my wafer-thin etchings and gave the completed coach away when the excellent Hornby model appeared.

Edited by coachmann

How strange that the description of the wiry hairs which appear post-adolescence on certain private parts of the body has been crossed-out in the post above. 

And there was me thinking it was cat hair.

Hi Coachman 

Yes I once had an etched Jendeco version of the T14 kit............ and also the etched holes on the chassis side frames were so large they were greater in size than the outside diameter of the bearings! 

Yes, their Stanier/Kitson 0-4-0ST had the same 'feature'. I did complete the kit though I cannot recall now how I overcame that particular challenge, new frames probably.