Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

A few more words and pictures regarding V2s

post-18225-0-82708700-1405973108_thumb.jpg

My finished Graeme King V2, complete with Comet chassis and Bachmann tender. All my own work. Great Northern, on seeing this, thought it too clean!

post-18225-0-64211600-1405973115_thumb.jpg

Another view of my recent Jamieson one with DMR tender.

post-18225-0-04732200-1405973103_thumb.jpg

My Crownline V2, built by me and painted by Ian Rathbone.

post-18225-0-87436700-1405973121_thumb.jpg

My Nu-Cast V2 on a scratch-built chassis, built and painted by me.

post-18225-0-09688900-1405973097_thumb.jpg

My modified Bachmann V2 on a Comet chassis. Despite all I've done, not that good. I mentioned the possibility of a re-tooled V2 body at Bachmann's yesterday and it was not categorically denied. Neither was the A4. But when? Certainly not in the near future. 

Pundits might note that some of the tenders above might have the rear coal division plate in the wrong place for the period depicted. Indolence and ignorance at the time are my only excuses!

Any thoughts on what you might think is the best (or the least worse)?

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

Have to say Tony...the weathering on the Graeme King body V2 looks absolutely superb! Just looks right! For me, the Graeme King and Jameson with extra bits, look the most right to my eyes.

Edited by 2750

Have to say Tony...the weathering on the Graeme King body V2 looks absolutely superb! Just looks right! For me, the Graeme King and Jameson with extra bits, look the most right to my eyes.

That's very kind of you. It's just Humbrol matt greys, black and browns, applied with a sable in the 'dry-brush' fashion over a base-coat of satin black car acrylic, using plenty of luck.

I agree with you as to which looks the most right (or the least wrong!)

• RMweb Premium

Tony

you may need a tad more dirt on the underframe of the V2...  and this is were your non dcc locos score over the ones I have to weather - I clean off the loco number as it needs to be "dialled" in from a fair distance away ..... but then the locos from West Hartlepool in my childhood had one fairly clean place ... the loco number as we asked them to clean it for us...

baz

• Like 1

I think the Jamieson V2 you showed some pages back now was initially for me the "most convincing" V2 you've shown us: with Graeme's one weathered up and finished I am more positive than ever that this is the way to go for those of us wanting good looking and accurately shaped V2s to a price and given spec. Using the Bachmann chassis with one of Graeme's body shells will produce good results. I'm enjoying working on my trio at the minute. 

However, I do find the Crownline one's paint job to be most pleasing on the eye. The cylinders let down the look of the front end on that one though, in comparison to the rest of the V2s which are better proportioned. 

They are all fabulous in their own way though - all very individualistic and showing off different modelling skills. That's what its all about.

• RMweb Gold

The Southern looses out seeing as Maunsells Kitchen Diners were not put back into traffic after the war. However, some Gresley Diners were transferred to the S>Region and rebuilt with riveted metal sides and painted green, .

Hi Larry

Just a slight correction, whilst a number of the Maunsell Kitchen Diners to Diagrams 2650/2651/2655/2657 were converted in 1947 and 1953/4 to Kitchen  Buffet / Buffet cars / cafeteria cars  to diagrams 2659-62/2666//7 & 2675 not all were so converted and some remained in service in original condition until the early 1960's

No one as far as I can tell has mentioned a Thompson Buffet, wasn't one of these the last pre BR Mk1 design catering coach in service?

This was a good seller for us in Lawrence Scale Models days. The one at Llangollen is beautifully restored in BR carmine & cream.

post-6680-0-24416100-1406016652.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

This was a good seller for us in Lawrence Scale Models days. The one at Llangollen is beautifully restored in BR carmine & cream.

attachicon.gifWEB Thompson Buffet.jpg

I was thinking it would look good in blue and gre....

"Taxi for Mortimore"

Hat, coat , gone...............................

Regarding the V2's all look commendable- even the one with the Bachmann body - possibly due to the fact that it 's photographed slightly from the rear. The King body is very good, and as Tom (2750)  really looks the business with that weathering. 

The Jamieson version has presence - and the dome looks to have a better shape. It's a toss-up between those two for me. As the crownline though beautifully painted , the cab looks a little poorly proportioned, the window layout.

Thanks  for posting the pictures of  the Thompson's ( and Gresley's). More for me to aspire too... 

As there are Thompsons about my latest A2/3 Airborne.

attachicon.gif11.jpg

Very nice work indeed. 

However, just for reference, Fig 232 in the RCTS Part 2A (the other side of the same loco) has the 'LNER' on the tender just about equidistant in all aspects - edge of vertical lining/L/N/E/R/edge of vertical lining. The LNER on the model's tender has the letters too close together it would seem, with too great a distance beyond the 'L' and the 'R'. 

Which transfer sheet were they from, please Mick? The spacing seems (to me) more for a GS tender, though I could be wrong. 

Reverting to the matter of those O2 sample models, I've only just paid close attention to the wheels and have noted that the large hub of the unusually small pony wheels is modelled appropriately. A nice touch.

At the risk of sounding a complete smart a**e, that unique wheel shape was something I pointed out at a very early stage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I prefer the Graeme King V2 also - the Nu-Sto one looks rather 'prone to bloating' in the boiler?

Nu-cast, sorry - Nu-Sto was Bill Stott's shop in British West Hartlepool, spent a lot of time in there as a teenager!

Restaurant Second Pantry. Which was essentially an Open Second with 2:1 seating, branded RESTAURANT CAR, with a lock-up pantry at one end on one side. I assume the pantry carried cold food, crockery, cutlery and table linen. Does anyone know exactly because only the most extreme would model the pantry's interior? The outside was white-windowed and the inside had a door. Though I have posted shots of such vehicles, I'll take some more later today. There was no BR Mk.1 equivalent.

... .

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Having been away from GB. for many a long year it would seem that BR., or whom/whatever has followed them,  has/have abandoned third class in favor of second class?

• RMweb Premium

My small collection of kits and coaches in stock does have a number of ex LMS, ex LNE and BR catering coaches ...  quite why I don't know other than I like them-  they may have very limited opportunities to run that much unless I find space for a layout shed!

I thought you'd just had a railway room built in the loft?

Very nice work indeed. 

However, just for reference, Fig 232 in the RCTS Part 2A (the other side of the same loco) has the 'LNER' on the tender just about equidistant in all aspects - edge of vertical lining/L/N/E/R/edge of vertical lining. The LNER on the model's tender has the letters too close together it would seem, with too great a distance beyond the 'L' and the 'R'. 

Which transfer sheet were they from, please Mick? The spacing seems (to me) more for a GS tender, though I could be wrong. 

They were done by special order by Precision Decals as they are unique to 511 and 113 ( in the pending pile)  in that they are Cream colour.

As to spacing hands up never checked and far toooooooo late now to change if wrong !!

• RMweb Premium

No one as far as I can tell has mentioned a Thompson Buffet, wasn't one of these the last pre BR Mk1 design catering coach in service?

I was hoping someone would mention those!  Last pre BR Mk1 design passenger carrying hauled stock, I believe, and although built for the 'Scotsman', later used singly in more 'layout friendly' secondary expresses (e.g. Cambridge Buffet Express).  I've been pondering making one from a Southern Pride / Bachmann combination for a long time - perhaps if I ponder long enough, an RTR one will beat me to it.

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping someone would mention those!  Last pre BR Mk1 design passenger carrying hauled stock, I believe, and although built for the 'Scotsman', later used singly in more 'layout friendly' secondary expresses (e.g. Cambridge Buffet Express).  I've been pondering making one from a Southern Pride / Bachmann combination for a long time - perhaps if I ponder long enough, an RTR one will beat me to it.

Hello 31A

I'd love one of these. But weren't they rebuilt in 1959? Did that alter their appearance? If so, that might be a dampener as far as Bachmann is concerned as they'd need pre-1959 and post-1959 tools made. If the 'rebuild' was mainly internal, then maybe any small external differences could be accommodated with what I believe are called 'slip moulds'.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

Yes, you are quite right, they were rebuilt.  I'm not able to check my books at the moment, but the Southern Pride range includes 'before' and 'after' sides so I imagine the difference could be fairly fundamental visually (e.g. altered window layout).  There's a drawing in the Isinglass range (no. 180); the catalogue doesn't say whether this shows as built or rebuilt (or it could well show both).  Quite agree, this could be a deterrent to an RTR manufacturer, hence I've always thought I'd have to make my own, although so far it remains a pipe dream!  On the other hand, the possibilty of a blue / grey version might be attractive to a manufacturer.

Steve