Impressive pics of an impressive layout mike as always!

As for the new detail to the layout.....

Is it the little white box things that are on the station wall?

Not sure what they are or will be? Are they lamps?

Apologies if im way off and ive got it wrong!

Cheers

Ben

Spot on Ben, they are the station lamps which still require finishing and will be illuminated, they have 12v 'grain of rice' bulbs in them which dictate their size which is perhaps larger than I would really like but I hope when finished they will blend in a little better, hopefully they will be wired in this week. Well done!

The grain of rice bulbs are the smallest I know of for a standard bulb and will be operated at 9v producing a warm glow, if you or anyone knows of a smaller alternative I would be happy to make them again. I do not want LED's.

I used to visit Dent station quite often with a view to modelling it; about forty or fifty years ago but due to various reasons this was never achieved !

I  was on friendly terms with the signalman who always seemed to be on duty when I arrived at the station and I have his details but I suppose he will have passed on by now.

I appreciate that several years have passed since you asked for information on Dent station but I do have thirty-nine [a 35mm black and white film] photographs which were printed directly from the film and they are on two sheets. I don't have the negatives. The photographs are approximately 36 x 24 mm.

They are from memory mainly of the station building, the signal box, bothy and trackwork, including the approaches.

If you would like to borrow the two sheets and copy them etc. you are very welcome, but I would like them returned when you have finished with them, as they are memories for me. 

Before I met this particular signalman, apparently the old Midland Railway track was taken up and replaced and he hid some of the rail chairs, which presumably are still there.

I think that I remember where they are, but obviously I can't describe their location here, or the name of the signalman and where he lived.

Keith 

• Like 2

I used to visit Dent station quite often with a view to modelling it; about forty or fifty years ago but due to various reasons this was never achieved !

I  was on friendly terms with the signalman who always seemed to be on duty when I arrived at the station and I have his details but I suppose he will have passed on by now.

I appreciate that several years have passed since you asked for information on Dent station but I do have thirty-nine [a 35mm black and white film] photographs which were printed directly from the film and they are on two sheets. I don't have the negatives. The photographs are approximately 36 x 24 mm.

They are from memory mainly of the station building, the signal box, bothy and trackwork, including the approaches.

If you would like to borrow the two sheets and copy them etc. you are very welcome, but I would like them returned when you have finished with them, as they are memories for me. 

Before I met this particular signalman, apparently the old Midland Railway track was taken up and replaced and he hid some of the rail chairs, which presumably are still there.

I think that I remember where they are, but obviously I can't describe their location here, or the name of the signalman and where he lived.

Keith 

Hi Keith,

Very interesting! I would certainly be grateful for 'borrowing' the photographs as there is always something else hitherto unseen. I can PM you my address and once I decide the best way of copying them I shall return post-haste. Many thanks for the offer.

The only signalman I know of was Jack Sedgewick, never met him though. I too always had my sights on Dent and its taken best part of 40 years to get around to it! Glad I did though.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Busy scanning again so thought I would add a few, hope they are of interest.

post-5296-0-96059700-1455053696_thumb.jpg

Brush type 3 D5691 at York

post-5296-0-39874300-1455053701_thumb.jpg

Class 37 6812 Woodhead

post-5296-0-32615000-1455053706_thumb.jpg

Warship D834 Didcot

post-5296-0-80624900-1455053713_thumb.jpg

Class 47 1547 Chesterfield - I have a model of this in this livery!

post-5296-0-34502000-1455053718_thumb.jpg

Saltley depot Birmingham

post-5296-0-61410600-1455053724_thumb.jpg

Class 45 Saltney nr Chester

post-5296-0-06051800-1455053731_thumb.jpg

Class 121 Harbury Cutting - I think

post-5296-0-10227300-1455053737_thumb.jpg

Class 47 Harbury again

post-5296-0-44410600-1455053742_thumb.jpg

Class 47 Reading West - I think

post-5296-0-57369300-1455053747_thumb.jpg

HST same area I think

• Like 9

Really not sure about those two being Harbury Cutting to be honest Mike, assuming you mean the Harbury cutting south of Leamington Spa.

I am fairly local to that location and just cannot visualise where it would be in the cutting, which I think is also deeper than those images portray.

Those Tilbury stone hoppers used to run from Westbury to Barham in East Anglia IIRC. That coupled with the London based (Lxxx) DMU and the double track (rather than quadruple GWML) would lead me to hazard a guess it is on the Berks & Hants maybe ??

Could be totally wrong of course.

Regards

Scott

Me again.

Looking at the 47 that you say is Reading West, compare the trees in the distance with those in the "Harbury" shots. You have clearly walked down the line so to speak away from the bridge as they are surely the same trees as those by the bridge.

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

There is more chance of you being right than me, those neg's were in an envelope with both locations listed on it, problem is 'the memory', most of these early photos came about when I had an uncle who was a lorry driver and he used to drop me off near a railway for a few hours while he either tipped or loaded in a nearby town etc. I also had the nightmare that was my 'ex' who decided that railways were no longer an avenue of pleasure, you can guess the rest! The really annoying thing is that I lost almost all my records from spotting notes to photo info in the process.

Wow! I take a break from looking in (whilst preparing for the Stafford show) to find that all these superb recent photos have been posted! I'm almost gasping for breath in recovering from having read the last few pages.

Glad you have a working solution to the steam loco haulage issue. A solo Jub. with 9 on just looks so right in an S&C setting. Great work on the SM's house. And as for that pic of the 4F emerging from Rise Hill tunnel... :swoon:

One quick modelling question if I may? I've noticed from some of these pics that the dry stone walling you're using in the foreground seems different from that used on the fellside beyond? It may have been covered many pages back but, to save my trawling through (very pleasant though that would be!) can I ask what is the basis of the dry stone walling in the foreground? (I'll be needing to use some for my 'next project' - which may well be more to your liking!)

I saw your masterpiece in the making on Saturday, your trackwork is out of this world and those rare loco's etc. well does 'envy' cover it! Now you understand why I at long last I opted for a simple trackplan eh! :locomotive:  Wish now I made made myself known to you on Saturday. :fool:

The walls in the foreground were self cast from 'Javis' wall sections which once the different moulds (4) were made I twist and curve them for the wall to follow the curvature etc. The distant walls I originally bought on ebay but have been told they were Hornby and I did the same with those. Much cheaper casting your own than buying miles - well yards of the stuff. Don't have much time at lunch but you may find the index on the first page points you in the right direction to the overall process.

Pleased you are enjoying Dent.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - odd, another disappearing post from last night.

The HST is on the Up Westbury Line approaching Southcote Jcn, the Class 47 hauled passenger train is on the Down Westbury Line approaching Southcote Jcn from the direction of Reading West.  The bubble car and the Class 47 on hoppers appear to have been taken slightly nearer to Reading West and are both on the Down Westbury Line - the bridge in the background carries Bath Road over the railway.

• Like 1

Hmm - odd, another disappearing post from last night.

The HST is on the Up Westbury Line approaching Southcote Jcn, the Class 47 hauled passenger train is on the Down Westbury Line approaching Southcote Jcn from the direction of Reading West.  The bubble car and the Class 47 on hoppers appear to have been taken slightly nearer to Reading West and are both on the Down Westbury Line - the bridge in the background carries Bath Road over the railway.

Hi Mike,

You are brilliant at this quiz! I can usually identify stations, depots and the like but the lineside shots seem to just confuse the hell out of me, a sort of mental block especially when there are a few scribbles on the envelope (if there's an envelope that is) My uncle delivered loads of Raleigh bikes and upholstered car seats up and down the country and if my shifts allowed or I was off I more often than not went for the ride, he knew the roads well and would just dump me at a bridge or the end of a lane, I like a fool never took that much notice of the route, the innocence of youth! Thanks once again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

You are brilliant at this quiz! I can usually identify stations, depots and the like but the lineside shots seem to just confuse the hell out of me, a sort of mental block especially when there are a few scribbles on the envelope (if there's an envelope that is) My uncle delivered loads of Raleigh bikes and upholstered car seats up and down the country and if my shifts allowed or I was off I more often than not went for the ride, he knew the roads well and would just dump me at a bridge or the end of a lane, I like a fool never took that much notice of the route, the innocence of youth! Thanks once again.

Ah. I'm only in with a chance when it's places I know - I'm totally lost on the rest!  So one or two bits of railway I can be fairly accurate to the nearest signalbox that used to be there while elsewhere I can possibly identify the BR Region but not much more- but wherever it's all good fun.

• Like 3

WOT! No weekend pics, DISGUSTED OF SWAD, hahhahhahhah

YOU 'ANDREW P' (for PEST) CAN JUST WAIT NOW.

Everyone else, I thought I had put the camera on download but technology it say 'NO!' Won't be long but don't let that pest from Swad in on the secret.

Ah. I'm only in with a chance when it's places I know - I'm totally lost on the rest!  So one or two bits of railway I can be fairly accurate to the nearest signalbox that used to be there while elsewhere I can possibly identify the BR Region but not much more- but wherever it's all good fun.

Hi Mike,

I got around quite a bit in those days but the sad thing is I never really had a decent camera back then. Whether I worked at Glasgow Works, Derby Loco' Works or Toton TMD all my 'free passes' were made out between Inverness and Penzance! I got stopped the the barrier at Norwich once with the comment 'your on the wrong side of the country with this lad' I replied 'I'm going the long way round' he laughed, shook his head and waved me through result! The only other worry was the physical size of the free pass when you did get over zealous guards with a clipper! 

On top of free passes and privilege tickets I also drove to several spots and as stated earlier was lucky to have a lorry driving uncle, I doubt in today's demanding time any of the above would be possible apart from the car.

• Like 2

YOU 'ANDREW P' (for PEST) CAN JUST WAIT NOW.

Everyone else, I thought I had put the camera on download but technology it say 'NO!' Won't be long but don't let that pest from Swad in on the secret.

Haven't you found North Road yet?

• Like 1

Hi all,

Weekly update...

post-5296-0-37848900-1455478624_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-78695000-1455478631_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-22665200-1455478639_thumb.jpg

A pair of Class 4 2-6-0's one a BR Standard 76069 the other its predecessor an Ivatt 43154 are charged with a heavy northbound fitted van train. The Standard will come off at Garsdale and return to Hellifield

post-5296-0-17050100-1455478647_thumb.jpg

An up fitted freight rumbles through the station hauled by a BR Sulzer Type 2 D5233

post-5296-0-02835700-1455478653_thumb.jpg

The Down freight was stopped at the box for instructions.

post-5296-0-12065400-1455478668_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-89196200-1455478675_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-19310600-1455478690_thumb.jpg

In the Up direction the late running Thames-Clyde is charging through Dent with Stanier Rebuilt Royal Scot 46115 'Scots Guardsman' at the head.

Cont/...

• Like 11

post-5296-0-60150600-1455484105_thumb.jpg

The TCE thuders over Widdale viaduct

post-5296-0-65566700-1455484114_thumb.jpg

as the van train finally gets the 'off'.

post-5296-0-04026300-1455484122_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-57796100-1455484129_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-01444000-1455484135_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-91747000-1455484142_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-85889600-1455484149_thumb.jpg

To bring proceedings to a close we see the pick-up freight performing its set-back routine.

Now its not all been play today and yesterday was just a wash out.

post-5296-0-80414600-1455484161_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-39042900-1455484169_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-75503100-1455484175_thumb.jpg

First set of 3 station lamps wired into the control panel, they still need the sides darkening a little, the other 3 will follow in the week, too many disturbances this weekend to complete I'm afraid.

That's it!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I see you must had a similar problem as I did. I wanted a medium powered loco and a 4MT 2-6-0 would fit the bill, but which one to buy, the Ivatt or the BR standard. :dontknow: So I left the shop with both. :imsohappy:

Then went back a few weeks later and came home with a 4-6-0 4MT as well. :swoon:

• Like 4

Hi Mike

I see you must had a similar problem as I did. I wanted a medium powered loco and a 4MT 2-6-0 would fit the bill, but which one to buy, the Ivatt or the BR standard. :dontknow: So I left the shop with both. :imsohappy:

Then went back a few weeks later and came home with a 4-6-0 4MT as well. :swoon:

Hi Clive,

It seems you may have been a 'boy scout' too! 'Be prepared' eh!

• Like 2