The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

THE STATIONMASTER

bbishop

• RMweb Gold

More to the point, he's earned 7,912 'Like This' comments . That's 79% of what he writes is on the money.... :O

Better give Mike a knighthood and have done with it. Tremendous stuff.... :drinks:

Knowing Mike he'd rather one of the big 2 do a GWR 64/74xx pannier tank.Well respected and very knowledgable.He worked on the Western too which is good enough for me. :sungum:

If you have ever met Mike he is as pleasant in real life as on the forum, a true gent. He doesn't even seem to have minded that I once carped about his use of italics ...

I can vouch for that too (the true gent bit, I'm not bothered by his penchant for italics!)

• RMweb Gold

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't opened this thread :blush: Thank you gents for your very kind words, especially coming from some who I hold in very high respect for their modelling (even if one of them is into the Eastern, but then certain foreign diesels also appear so it isn't all dry side stuff).

Alas I can't compete with many (any?) of you in modelling skills so I try to make up with passing on some of the knowledge I've acquired over 40+ years of involvement with the real thing and I hope it helps without me sounding too much like a 'you must do it this way' pontificator. And fortunately I try to retain the habit of not pressing that attractive little 'Post' button with too much haste and too little thought - the word 'courteous' might not be there if you saw some of the ones where I bit my tongue and binned them.

Thanks again.

Congratulations Mike; your true value has been spotted. ;)

Mike's a lovely man and a genuine pleasure to have around the place, the 'likes' stat is quite telling.

Mind you it's a good job there aren't 17,000 of him on here; the internet would be full by now.

• RMweb Gold

it says a lot when you see a "pen name" as a post title and open it without question. I still think of myself as a new boy on here and until I get my cellar opened up my modelling opportunities are limited, but even with the limited activity I've had I have already come to respect the "brand" of "Stationmaster." On every occasion that Mike has contributed to one of my bits of research, or the one bit of modelling have managed to share, it has been spot on. As has been said before, knowledge delivered with courtesy.

Once again, thank you stationmaster!

• RMweb Premium

I'm just new and have already had "The Stationmaster 'likes this' - you're honoured!" whispered in my ear.

Status, respectability, expertise and generosity all summed up in one statement.

Your comments and 'likes' throughout rmweb more greatly appreciated the more I learn.

Many thanks, Stationmaster.

• RMweb Gold

MIke has 'popped up' at various stages during my own career on the railways, and I and numerous other railway people can vouch for his deep knowledge, professionalism and courtesy in his 'work' life too. He belongs to that breed of railway managers, now sadly lower in numbers, who really know their stuff and are widely respected for it.

• RMweb Gold

I always enjoy Mike's posts, even when they refer to a topic I am not currently following closely.

I am constantly reminded that despite a lifetime as a railway enthusiast and having helped with preservation activities many years ago there is a huge amount I don't know.

Mike makes the learning process very enjoyable!

David

Well I bet I know a question he can't answer..................

'What the Hades have done with my only No.76 drill bit????'

Seriously, I have found every one of his posts that I have read to be interesting, informative and if it was applicable, amusing. Thanks for flagging it up, Bill.

Doug

Simply a wonderful chap; immense knowledge, especially of things Western, and incredible generosity in sharing it. I read his posts on any subject with interest and would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his comprehensive responses to questions I've asked here. It was a pleasure to finally meet him on the trip to Pendon and Didcot.

Thank you so much!

Jon

Ditto all the lovely comments posted above, we've never met but I feel as though we'd get on like the proverbial house on fire should our paths eventually cross in person - I could pick Mike's brains about anything on here and receive a wonderful reply, whether he knows the answer or not. A font of all Western knowledge and a gent into the bargain ;-)

Just one thing left to say...

'Like' !!!

• RMweb Gold

Rather late but then living in the Pacific North West I am eight hours behind! Like many others I have found Mike to be super helpful whether it be general topics.........I only ordered a 52xx because of his posts........... or more specifically in reponse to queries regarding my own layout.....signalling.....shunters truck procedure etc. Always detailed courteous responses......one of natures gentlemen.

Best wishes from Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

If there was ever a Professor of British Railways, Mike is it.

And always free to provide information in a highly detailed manner.

Respect is often loosely banded around word, but in Mike's case it's completely justified.

Neil

I'm on my Hols so only sporadically peeking at RMWeb and I haven't been posting. But when I saw this thread's title I immediately thought "I hope nothing has happened to Mike"...

I am pleased that nothing more than congratulations are due and I also echo other poster's comments

F

Archived