westerhamstation

BLIMEY!!       ..............................     :O  :O  :O  :O  :O .....................

Through the hole in the partion at Brasted and out the other side and we are on our way to Westerham Station.

After a bit of a tidy up, and having moved the freezer out the way, I can make a start on the boards and track so that the two stations can be joined and services can be run. The plan is in my head at the moment and I am making it up as I go along, but it will involve a lifting/re-movable section (not my head) but the boards.

Some pictures of work so far.

....................................    haven't drawn breath from the last one yet    ......................     :O  :O  :O  :O

must look out some more Voting Posters - quick!      .........................      :jester:

• Like 1

I have cut a tunnel through a wall for my American HO layout "Clark Fork'' when in Montana, As luck would have it I soon hit a 2"x4 wall stud. Disappointing and damned hard tunneling thereafter.

Having learned my lesson I've carefully avoided those problems when extending "Hintock".

Edited by john flann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have cut a tunnel through a wall for my American HO layout "Clark Fork'' when in Montana, As luck would have it I soon hit a 2"x4 wall stud. Disappointing and damned hard tunneling thereafter.

Having learned my lesson I've carefully avoided those problems when extending "Hintock".

Hmmm I can see we are gathering a "Hole in the Wall Gang" ala Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid on this thread next, except we are in darkest Kent.

Kevin

• Like 1

hole in the wall gang??? Can I join?

med_gallery_17883_3404_527643.jpg

we needed TWO.....and something to pass over the stairs below on both levels....the holes need to be bigger though...so you can get your hand in when the locos get stuck.......so I think we have the cowboy bit covered :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Thanks for the link,

The trees are a mix of woodland scenics and clump foliage. like yourself i am from Saaahf of the river but now live in the West Midlands. The line was closed in 1961 and is based on the original trackplan but compressed to fit.

Just read the article in BRM. Love the layout - oozes with atmosphere. Just one question: How did you make the wire-and-post fencing? I'm looking for some like that for my layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just read the article in BRM. Love the layout - oozes with atmosphere. Just one question: How did you make the wire-and-post fencing? I'm looking for some like that for my layout.

Hi Fuggles, thank you for your kind comments, and glad that you like the layout. The fencing is Ratio 423 GWR Lineside Fencing - 36 Posts with Wire OO Scale, costs about £3.80 a packet,

the method that I use is, open the packet find the roll of nylon carefully pick it up and take it to the nearest bin and chuck it in and put the lid down, next open up the groove in the posts with a razor saw, you don't need to do every groove on the post only about 3 or 4 evenly spaced, then plant them at 20mm centres with a blob of adhesive and leave to dry. paint the posts a grey/brown colour. I use cotton to string the posts fixing them with a gel super glue, then when the glue is really dry paint the cotton with thinned rust colour I use enamels so it's a thinned white spirit mix which flows nicely along the cotton. Hope this is of use all the best Adrian.

• Like 3

Hi Fuggles, thank you for your kind comments, and glad that you like the layout. The fencing is Ratio 423 GWR Lineside Fencing - 36 Posts with Wire OO Scale, costs about £3.80 a packet,

the method that I use is, open the packet find the roll of nylon carefully pick it up and take it to the nearest bin and chuck it in and put the lid down, next open up the groove in the posts with a razor saw, you don't need to do every groove on the post only about 3 or 4 evenly spaced, then plant them at 20mm centres with a blob of adhesive and leave to dry. paint the posts a grey/brown colour. I use cotton to string the posts fixing them with a gel super glue, then when the glue is really dry paint the cotton with thinned rust colour I use enamels so it's a thinned white spirit mix which flows nicely along the cotton. Hope this is of use all the best Adrian.

first smile of the day.....LOL....

and I was in A+E with my day dad      until 5am.......so I need something to smile about....lack of sleep had effected my funny bone....so thank you......(oh FYI after on head CTI and 3 X-rays, they are confident he is ok and allowed him to come home, with his new bruises)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Adrian,

Thanks very much. Don't know how I didn't spot that kit earlier. It's going to save me a lot of work.

RegardsJonathan

• RMweb Gold

The timber for the baseboard arrived at Westerham goods shed today.

... in the cattle wagon? If so, I hope you give it a good scrub down before building anything with it!

Brilliant pictures and nice storyline for a small cameo.

Edited by Anotheran

..................    Everyone Parachutes on?  ...   and all Strapped-in?  ......................   ...................................    ..............................    Prepare for Take-off   ..............    :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The timber for the baseboard arrived at Westerham goods shed today.

Looking at that timber means its going to be a big heavy baseboard. When does the cable drum arrive on a flat wagon for the wiring as I will need to arrange the yard so that access is free to the crane, as some fool has left half a dozen box vans in the yard full of model railway magazines, and they seem to be this months copy too....

Kevin

• Like 1

Perhaps not quite aware    .....................

... in the cattle wagon? If so, I hope you give it a good scrub down before building anything with it!

Brilliant pictures and nice storyline for a small cameo.

.......   of good old fashioned "country ways...  "

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian I'm really looking forward to the joining of the two Terminus's but will you still have a fiddle yard somewhere, as Mac Pryke did on the Berrow Branch?

Hi Andy, the answer to that is I am not sure, I have space for a couple of passing loops on what will be the removable/lifting section, but I don't know if they would be used, as Westerham Station could possibly be used as the fiddle yard. I would welcome any suggestions or ideas on this. Another thought is to make the section that I building at the moment scenic but again I am not sure, as it will be quite vunerable to damage by Mrs W Station going to the freezer and tumble dryer. all the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-89614800-1413569492_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 2

Adrian, if you double track the curve you could use it to pass trains?

(on Edit) why do you need a fiddle yard? 

I thought the service at Westerham  amounted to nothing more than the push/pull passenger and a pick up goods?

I don't understand Andy P's reference to Berrow, as I recall it Mac had a fiddle yard.

Edited by john flann

An interesting thought on the train services: I was talking to a former engine driver on the Westerham line, Peter Reed, the other day (he was my examiner on a Personal Track Safety course on the Spa Valley Railway) and it appears that there was a frieght movement at the start and end of passenger services each day. This came from Dunton Green directly into/out of Westerham and then there was a movement back to Brasted if any wagons needed to unload there. I remember readling something about a dispensation for brake vans between Westerham and Brasted but am unsure how this worked. Does anyone know more?

• Like 2

An interesting thought on the train services: I was talking to a former engine driver on the Westerham line, Peter Reed, the other day (he was my examiner on a Personal Track Safety course on the Spa Valley Railway) and it appears that there was a frieght movement at the start and end of passenger services each day. This came from Dunton Green directly into/out of Westerham and then there was a movement back to Brasted if any wagons needed to unload there. I remember readling something about a dispensation for brake vans between Westerham and Brasted but am unsure how this worked. Does anyone know more?

Yes. The pull-push set was left at Westerham overnight and the engine, rather than working back light, took the branch freight. In the morning the arriving engine picked up the branch freight from Dunton Green yard. I haven't been able to work out how the branch wagons were left at Dunton Green.

The only disadvantage of this arrangement was that a guard was needed for the morning trip, riding back from Westerham on the cushions, presumably, and another for the evening trip, going down on the last pull-push service.

post-20556-0-07658000-1413916753_thumb.jpg

Yes. The pull-push set was left at Westerham overnight and the engine, rather than working back light, took the branch freight. In the morning the arriving engine picked up the branch freight from Dunton Green yard. I haven't been able to work out how the branch wagons were left at Dunton Green.

The only disadvantage of this arrangement was that a guard was needed for the morning trip, riding back from Westerham on the cushions, presumably, and another for the evening trip, going down on the last pull-push service.

:scratchhead: .............   :scratchhead: ..................   :scratchhead:  ..............................................................                  ....................................................                ...........................................................................     :scratchhead: 

Hi Glynn, the David Gould book Westerham Valley Railway explains fully how this worked, a brief passage from the book, ( Few people would have witnessed the bizzare spectacle of a goods brake van being propelled cautiously from Brasted to Westerham early every morning, but nevertheless it was a regular event. Upon arrival of the morning freight at Westerham its locomotive ran round the wagons and took any required for Brasted back up the line again, leaving at 5.25am. After 15 minutes allowed for shunting and setting down wagons at Brasted sidings the 'train' left for Westerham, guard's van leading, at 5.45; for the 1and three quarter mile journey in this direction 11 minutes were allowed).This excerpt was from page 63. All the best Adrian.

I think a similar arrangement may be made ( I mean WAS made) at Swanhurst........

• Like 1