Western D1015 at Quidhampton

• RMweb Gold

Western Champion being driven by a COLAS driver took D1015 into Quidhampton sidings today to clear out the wagons returned for cleaning following the end of traffic to the quarry. As the works shunter isn't available it will be back and running round at Salisbury before heading to Westbury.

Approaching Salisbury 0Z52

post-6968-12555294937468_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12555295217096_thumb.jpg

picking up a ground frame operator

post-6968-12555295420437_thumb.jpg

Those like the the "New" silver bullet wagons formerly used on the Burgullow-Irvine flow.

According to the SWRG Gen Group on Yahoo, they're headed for Burgullow - Are they going to be stored, or used on a flow out of Burgullow?

Excellent pictures, I was going to pop along to see it at Salisbury but my lad is potty training and I didn't want to risk It... Gutted, I sholuld have taken a gamble.

I'm sure I read on WRgen thatthey are going to be stored...

Cheers

Scott

Damn it! Didn't know it was going back to Salisbury! I went to Romsey to get it light then took a drive to Warminster to get it "loaded". Unfortunatley, it was 20 mins late at Warminster and came just as a 159 for Waterloo came in! <_< Still, sounded great!

Andy.

post-7258-12555593609273_thumb.jpg

post-7258-12555593697487_thumb.jpg

The western did sound rather good didn't it?, i was watching leave the station and it strolled away as though there was no load behind it,

And by the way nice pics from salisbury, I was wondering who was crouching taking pics at the end of platform 4 at Salisbury

• RMweb Gold

If you'd said in 1977 that there would be a 52 on china clay wagons in service in 2009, you'd have been laughed at.

This ignorant ex-pat by-passed this thread when it first appeared on the Active Content yesterday - it just couldn't be what the title accurately described! My flabber is well and truly gasted! D1000 and ilk were the most charismatic diesels of their generation, not un-assisted by the amazing palette of colours WR painted them in, and I'm delighted to see one still doing what nature intended!

• RMweb Gold

Damn it! Didn't know it was going back to Salisbury!

It wasn't booked to but we got a call from Colas saying help the shunter was out of fuel and they couldn't run round, so we provided a ground frame operator, the Boss! and told them they could run round in the station. (it still seems to take people by suprise when you say no problem just get on with it) As a result we got to hear D1015 thrash out of the station 3 timesbiggrin.gif

We were all very happy and Matt our MOM will be posting some more of it at Quidhampton on our website, here's the section with some of the last loaded train from a few months back and more will be added in here when he downloads them. There's a beauty of a shot of it at Wilton Junction just wait wink.gif

Taster of what's to be added soon

post-6968-12556193987452_thumb.jpg

Quidhampton Tanks 1972-2009

Here's one of the two videos, the other one is in the flickr album.

Video of D1015 leaving Salisbury with 15 Silver Bullets

I'm delighted to see one still doing what nature intended!

You are so right - just the other week my evening homebound train pulled out of Paddington and I fell to daydreaming about the maroon and green Warships and Westerns of my childhood as we accelerated past the old Ranelagh Bridge stabling point into the setting sun. I was still daydreaming as we passed North Pole junction - without thinking, I glanced over to Old Oak (old habits die hard!) - and for several seconds, time stood completely still for me as my brain tried to make sense of what I saw - for there was D1015 running light engine parallel to us, its maroon paint glowing like fire in the sunset, as it backed down into the sidings, looking for all the world as if we were back in 1965 and it was running on shed after bringing in a Wolverhampton express. It looked so completely natural and at home that I struggled to understand that I was wide awake, this was for real and it was 2009. Truly wonderful, as are these photos from Salisbury. We owe a huge debt to the guys who keep the Western running - it's a gem of a locomotive.

David

• RMweb Premium

It was parked up in Tavistock yard (Plymouth) earlier this morning, but had gone by the time I came home this evening. Nice to see it there though.

Archived