Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

Very nice links there Simon.  For some obscure reason I always rather liked the look of the ends with the yellow patch and the black triangle - s'pose it was because it was the Southern carrying on doing things in its own way.

I always feel as though they are smiling at me.

• Like 3

Guest oldlugger

I always feel as though they are smiling at me.

I couldn't agree more Gareth and Mike! I think these quaint looking units in green with half yellow panels look very attractive and the first photo really captures this perfectly. In some ways the 2 BIL is like the signature of the Southern Railway/region and its love of Art Deco.

Simon

Well I am off to Brighton Modelworld tomorrow....never particularly inspiring for rail enthusiasts these days and can be a little disappointing from what it was in the past but if I see a BR 2-BIL at a price I think reasonable then my order with Hattons will be cancelled and procurement made at said show!

I look forward to seeing you. I am on stand 60 Sussex Vintage Model Collectors. I am disappointed about the way Hornby is treating us. A few years ago Simon Kohler told us at the Wimborne Railway Circle that he thought that the discounting by Hattons was unsustainable but I do not see what his problem with Hattons is. Hattons pays Hornby promptly and gives its customers a good service.

Coming back to the 2 BIL it seems that the emus were the first items on which the Southern painted the roofs grey. All the coaches had white canvas roofs. Does anyone know how long the 2 BILs were in Maunsell green?The Hornby prototype must have been one of the last items to have been painted in Maunsell green. There have been no comments about the interior. Peco used to supply interiors for the Kitmaster coaches in authentic colours with carriage prints and passengers reading newspapers. Is there a demand for this level of detail? I have not got my emu that I preordered from Hattons yet but for those lucky enough to possess one how many coaches does it pull?

I am interested to see how many people on this site live away from 3rd rail territory. I used to live near Chelsfield station in Kent which is why I am interested in emus. I liked the noise of the generator and the carriage prints. The Visit the Dorset Coast Go By Train poster inspired me to visit Swanage. I live in Swanage now and one of the reasons I chose to model the Swanage railway was because it was easier to model than Chelsfield with its generating station and third rail and the lack of model emus.

From memory, Chelsfield station itself wouldn't be that hard to model; a simple two platform through station in a bit of a cutting with long pedestrian access ramps and not too many buildings. Third rail on straight track is not too bad to lay ... it's when you get to the bendy bits it becomes a real pain to lay without the third rail chairs shooting off into the wild blue yonder when one lets go of the rail end accidentally!

I used to live and go to school in third rail territory, many moons ago. Now I'm almost as far away as I could get, in Melbourne, Australia! :D

• RMweb Premium

Another former resident of third-rail territory here.  I can remember my first encounter with a 2Bil as well.  I was 5.  The unit of course was rather more than that!  We lived briefly in Fareham (in thumper territory though still with plenty of steam at the time) and I was taken on a typically eclectic Provincial bus and the "proper" Gosport Ferry to spend an hour watching the trains at Fratton station as a birthday treat.  It was on that occasion that I still clearly recall West Country 34005 "Barnstaple" coming off-shed tender first before working up to Portsmouth Harbour and collecting a train.  It was there that I was first aware of an extra rail and of "quiet" trains which didn't have a diesel engine either at the front or occupying half of one carriage.  And it was there that I first met the swaying gangway ends of the "Nelson" stock which came rumbling and whining around the corner from the north and went through without stopping.  The list of stopping stations announced as a pair of 2Bil units crept around the curve from the canal cutting showing the number 62 (Portsmouth Harbour - Brighton stopper) on the front seemed endless.  At the time I had no idea that I would later call one of those stations home for some years and commute therefrom to both school and university on 2Bil and later generations of electric stock.

Currently (no pun intended!) no email of any sort from any retailer here regarding my orders.  I'll wait and see what eventuates.  June isn't far away and a 6-month wait would still be far shorter than what we have become accustomed to for newly-announced models.

• Like 3

Another former resident of third-rail territory here.  I can remember my first encounter with a 2Bil as well.  I was 5.  The unit of course was rather more than that!  We lived briefly in Fareham (in thumper territory though still with plenty of steam at the time) and I was taken on a typically eclectic Provincial bus and the "proper" Gosport Ferry to spend an hour watching the trains at Fratton station as a birthday treat.  It was on that occasion that I still clearly recall West Country 34005 "Barnstaple" coming off-shed tender first before working up to Portsmouth Harbour and collecting a train.  It was there that I was first aware of an extra rail and of "quiet" trains which didn't have a diesel engine either at the front or occupying half of one carriage.  And it was there that I first met the swaying gangway ends of the "Nelson" stock which came rumbling and whining around the corner from the north and went through without stopping.  The list of stopping stations announced as a pair of 2Bil units crept around the curve from the canal cutting showing the number 62 (Portsmouth Harbour - Brighton stopper) on the front seemed endless.  At the time I had no idea that I would later call one of those stations home for some years and commute therefrom to both school and university on 2Bil and later generations of electric stock.

Marvellous stuff! Really takes me back....

• RMweb Gold

June isn't far away and a 6-month wait would still be far shorter than what we have become accustomed to for newly-announced models.

Quite so!

It leaves me wondering if the same 'shortage' is going to affect the 52/72xx. Let's hope not. 

My earliest recollection of 'southern electrics' was when my father used to take me down the hill from where we lived to Rusham Crossing to watch the trains. If we were lucky one of the signalman would invite us it to watch from there.

I remember thinking then "where are all the steam engines? These green things are boring!" Little was I to know that they would become an everyday feature of my life for travelling to school in London. BILs, HALs (laterally on occasions the 'tin' variety). 'Nelsons' after the older units were being phased out and sometimes the 'new' EPBs (tried to avoid those, as they stopped everywhere)

Some days I travelled up with Dad and one of his friends who used to grow his own tobacco, which when he lit up tended to empty the compartment, so a more comfortable journey was possible!

Ah.... memories of those 'boring' trains!

• Like 1

Some days I travelled up with Dad and one of his friends who used to grow his own tobacco,

Ah yes, we all know about, ahem, home-grown tobacco :whistle:

Just back from Model Rail Scotland where Simon Kohler said that the 2Bil was proving rather too popular but added that it's a strong model that keeps going (if it's anything like my Tri-ang Class 101 from the 60s he'll be right). The chap on the Bachmann stand mentioned that he'd heard about the MZ kerfuffle but admitted that the 2Bil was a good looking model. As ever refused to let on about anything from the new B'mann catalogue due in a couple of weeks.

The 2Bil on the working Hornby layout certainly looked good and ran well; don't think many of us will be disappointed with it when it arrives.

mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 1

Only a trifle off topic  - but Jim has now posted two jolly decent layout shots featuring the new baby. Have I missed a whole thread about this layout? If not - why isn't it featured in all its glory?

I agree, it's a fantastic looking layout. More pictures please.

Steve

RE  robin brasher.

The 2BIL  easily hauls an additional  4 Bachmann Mk1 coaches/

Re living  away from the  3rd  rail.

I am in  North Wales, but  only 11 miles  from  the  3rd  Rail!  CHESTER :O 

( Mersey Rail!!)

• Like 1

Only a trifle off topic  - but Jim has now posted two jolly decent layout shots featuring the new baby. Have I missed a whole thread about this layout? If not - why isn't it featured in all its glory?

Olddudders its not featured as I have not got round to doing it, the layout is very much still work in progress and todays high quality digital photographs show up every small fault in the layout building, so have been reluctant to show them. Having been a member for some considerable time now of the wonderful forum, I have not posted 'up' too many items. I'm not even sure where I would post the layout feature ?

• Like 1

Guest Belgian

Despite his modesty, and claims that it is a 'work in progress', Jimbo's layout is quite fascinating. Come on Jim, post some of the corners that have been done, especially the Docks!

Jeremy

• Like 4

I agree! I have been posting a few pic of progress on my even more incomplete layout. People (me!!) want to see what others are up to, completed or not. :)

... and yours looks to be quite scenic and complete enough to impress anyway.

Of course you can see all the faults 'cos you know they are there, Jim, but the rest of us are not looking for them. :)

• Like 1

The 350 desiro was only being discounted by one retailer at Modelworld .. namely The Signalbox Rochester... and who owns them?  Why it's our old pals at Modelzone!

Signal Box are indeed owned by the same company that owns ModelZone but thats where it ends.Apparently they don't get their stock from the same source(had that from the horses mouth).The whole relationship is mystifying to me.They are often to be seen at shows with some significant discounts.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not even sure where I would post the layout feature ?

In the top line, click on Forums. Scroll down 'til you reach Modelling Zone. Look for a subheading Layout& Workbench Content, and click on Layout Topics. Once the page opens, beneath the banner ads, on the far right, there is a large black box that says "Start new topic" - and away you go!

I sympathise greatly with those who have yet to receive one of these units, it is very frustrating and Hornby should and could have done much better with distribution, its a complete disgrace the way they have been distributed and made available to the higest price retailer first.

Having said that it is a beautiful unit and really does capture the lines of the real thing. OK it has a few minor things not quite as detailed on it that some are getting all steamed up about but I personally think it looks fine and is perfecly acceptable as is for the money. I am glad they haven't bothered with interior lighting because I can now fit my own which suits me. I will certainly buy another one of these units when the hubbub of supply has died down but for now, my 2-BIL will be rostered on the Brinkfield Branch on my garden railway in "Sunny Sussex" :sungum:

• Like 1