Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Hi, very tempted by the red one, reminds me of the little loco that used to be at Hilsea gas works near Portsmouth!

But I am a bit worried it will look plasticy? does it?

Also, Hattons don't seem to have any in stock but are offering them at £45 which seems good, anywhere else doing a good deal.

I thought the same as a lot of the photos appeared to show a shiny red loco however my one looks a similar colour to LT red Underground stock and I am very impressed with it.

XF

i'VE FORGOTTEN WHICH ONE i PRE-ORDERED, IT WAS THAT LONG AGO.  

At least you can still remember you DID pre-order one.  :-)

Imagine answering the knock at the door and wondering why a tiny package was being proffered to you!

• Like 1

I have today received an email from Amazon offering Tarmac Sentinels at £55-99.

Odd, because I don't recall ever searching Amazon for model railway items!

John

The pervasive links between Amazon, Hotmail, Gmail, Facebook, et al, mean that even an online search through Hornby can lead to you getting sidebar ads, pop-ups, and even, as you found, direct email offers for items you have looked at.

It bugs the hell out of me, as well as making me think we are moving into a scary phase of existence.

Picked up a blue one from my local model shop in Northampton yesterday, they had received two, Tarmac green and a NCB blue.

Very disappointed in its running, put it on my layout last night, clean code 100 track and Electrofrog points, initially didn't move, after a nudge it stuttered and spluttered on straight track, stalled and stuttered on points. Wheels are clean, tried to run it in, even spluttered on a rolling road and kept stalling

Richard

• RMweb Premium

My local shop in Banbury has a plentiful stock of all Sentinels and they will continue to have a plentiful stock when they are charging £68 a time...£21 more than I paid on Amazon!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For those who wish to put a decoder ( non sound ) in their loco and do not want to use the Hornby chip the blanking plug has two loops of wire. I am using a Lenz mini, I am removing the blue, white and yellow wire from the decoder then snipping the red and black blanking wires and attaching the decoder wires in correct sequence to the motor wires. The mini sits on top of the Hornby plug.

This way I can simply unplug the decoder if I wish to change it and it saves hard wiring which some people are not happy to do .. Apologies for the blurred photo but it does illustrate the plug and wires.

post-7211-0-47309900-1393754840_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Here's mine where it will belong, sometime in the future!

post-6728-0-88107800-1393766573_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-75865900-1393766591_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-08247800-1393766606_thumb.jpg

Credit to CK who did the P4 conversion for me at last Monday's DRAG meeting. It was quite the quickest that I'd ever seen done (maybe ten minutes!)

It shows the ingenuity of Ultrascale in narrowing the tread width in order to avoid alteration of the 'side frames' Shown is a standard U/S wheel from the Cl 52 conversion set and the original Hornby axle.

post-6728-0-50270700-1393766648_thumb.jpg

• Like 6