Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

I had found that the pick ups on the Sentinel were pretty poor on my model. Despite having DCC and electro frog points, and despite meticulous cleaning it would stall on points. I traced the problem to the wiper pickups not contacting the wheels all the time,. My efforts to rectify this was partially successful only. The remedy was to get a wagon and put pickups in that and wire it permanently to the Sentinel. At last weekends Northampton show it performed beautifully all day and the extra set of pickups certainly boosted performance, as did stuffing extra lead inside the loco to increase traction. I will post a photo in due course.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had found that the pick ups on the Sentinel were pretty poor on my model. Despite having DCC and electro frog points, and despite meticulous cleaning it would stall on points. I traced the problem to the wiper pickups not contacting the wheels all the time,. My efforts to rectify this was partially successful only. The remedy was to get a wagon and put pickups in that and wire it permanently to the Sentinel. At last weekends Northampton show it performed beautifully all day and the extra set of pickups certainly boosted performance, as did stuffing extra lead inside the loco to increase traction. I will post a photo in due course.

Reckon you've been unlucky.

Mine (as bought apart from couplings) even goes round curved Setrack points quite slowly (though not at its absolute minimum speed) on DC without problems. I only tried it out of curiosity on a mate's layout and was pleasantly surprised.

Bought a Lazerglaze pack for it at Thornbury on Friday, so that's another job to go on the "to do" list!

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, the pictures are dreadful though. Fortunately it does show the colour relatively well although it's not quite right. I couldn't decide for a while on whether to go black or red for the nameplates but decided on black. I was originally going to go for wasp striped buffer beams but went for plain red to bring it into service quicker and now prefer it. It also has black buffer stocks.

That looks very smart, Paul. Did you mask the Sentinel plate, or is there a transfer available?

Yes, as Owen said they're from Railtec and then a spray of satin varnish to make the carrier film disappear. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some very nice personalisation going on there guys, I "accidentally" bought another today, at the Scunthorpe exhibition (small but with a good standard of exhibits), I almost bought 2 - at £44.95 it was too good to miss!

Some very nice personalisation going on there guys, I "accidentally" bought another today, at the Scunthorpe exhibition (small but with a good standard of exhibits), I almost bought 2 - at £44.95 it was too good to miss!

I'm waiting for the outside coupled version to be released before I "stumble upon one quite by accident" at a model shop

• Like 1

Hi Nile, I can't comment for Paul,

but you can buy transfers from railtec transfers

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1355

Owen

Very many thanks for this post.  I think I have just bought the last one they had.  It said "in stock 1" and i bought.  I mention that, not to show off, but because it is no longer showing on the website (presumably as out of stock) and this may confuse readers.

Very many thanks for this post.  I think I have just bought the last one they had.  It said "in stock 1" and i bought.  I mention that, not to show off, but because it is no longer showing on the website (presumably as out of stock) and this may confuse readers.

Just to let the good folks here know that we're aware of this thread and consequently have made every effort to keep up with the demand. The item is back in stock, and in parallel we are looking to release an NCB pack shortly. Folks may also be interested to learn that we already have an internal user departmental pack available at the link below, which contains a variety of markings which may be carried by wagons in industrial use. As ever, if people have suggestions for future packs they may like to see, then we're always willing to listen.

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1065

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

my mistake, although they did have sentinels there.

Still a good picture though, Interesting searching on Google Earth to see where the picture was taken, those buildings to the right looked interesting.

Hi all, my little Sentinel has been running great for some time but I have now noticed a few issues.

The wheels seem to have lost their plating, not a great issue but notable all the same.

More worryingly the pickups seem to be adrift, when wheel cleaning for example I find one or two wheels don't pick up solidly, looking at the pickups they don't look to be making good contact with the backs of the wheels.

Is it a big job to lift off the bottom plate, free the wheels and reset the pickups?

Thanks

• Like 1

Is it a big job to lift off the bottom plate, free the wheels and reset the pickups?

I only did this once a little while ago but I don't remember it being too much trouble, personally I think the biggest issue I had was trying to relocate the sand pipes after all had gone back on. The ones at the long bonnet end are a little tricky and I had to bend them back into shape but it's no real issue.

Rhys