Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I think "Limited stocks, but available for immediate order" is just what the system says when the number in stock is very small. I don't think I've ever seen them report 1 left in stock, and all the 2nd hand stuff (where there is usually presumably just one in stock) read "Limited stocks" etc.

Which is what I was getting at - they actually have a couple that aren't pre-ordered....

As of NOW

"Hornby

Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in ESSO Bitumen Plymouth red (Next batch due 11th March)

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

£45

Limited stocks, but available for immediate order"

2 in stock.  :-)

• RMweb Premium

Which is what I was getting at - they actually have a couple that aren't pre-ordered....

As of NOW

"Hornby

Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in ESSO Bitumen Plymouth red (Next batch due 11th March)

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

£45

Limited stocks, but available for immediate order"

2 in stock.  :-)

I see.

Well, they've now got more than 10 Tarmac ones, the NCB blue ones are on pre-order, and the red ones have vanished completely.

If you search for it on Ehattons via Google the page is there, with "This item has sold out and we are unfortunately unable to obtain any additional stock of this particular product."

They are still available on the Horby web site...but the blue one is now out of stock....for good until/if they make another batch?

• RMweb Premium

I see.

Well, they've now got more than 10 Tarmac ones, the NCB blue ones are on pre-order, and the red ones have vanished completely.

If you search for it on Ehattons via Google the page is there, with "This item has sold out and we are unfortunately unable to obtain any additional stock of this particular product."

They are still available on the Horby web site...but the blue one is now out of stock....for good until/if they make another batch?

The red ones are back on the Hattons site now.

"(Next batch due 11th March)"

"Due into stock on or after Monday 24th February 2014"

Both on the same page...

A word of warning, I had terrible trouble removing the screw that secures the rear nose section to the body. The screw had been over tightened in assembly and the screw is very soft ... The cross head soon rounded off and I had to resort to drilling out the errant screw. Not nice on such a small and detailed model .....

I see.

Its standard Hattons website behaviour.  If you order the last item, it hides the detail page from the listings, though if you've got the page bookmarked you can still access it.  I suppose it helps manage customer expectations.....  :)

A word of warning, I had terrible trouble removing the screw that secures the rear nose section to the body. The screw had been over tightened in assembly and the screw is very soft ... The cross head soon rounded off and I had to resort to drilling out the errant screw. Not nice on such a small and detailed model .....

This has happened to me too and to be honest I think this will be my last Hornby loco because as one production problem is sorted out another appears! Forget "design clever" and go for assemble correctly;  why should modellers have now start drilling out screws on a brand new loco?

I now intend to return my Sentinel to Hornby as it is"not fit for purpose" in my opinion.

Rant over

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Its standard Hattons website behaviour.  If you order the last item, it hides the detail page from the listings, though if you've got the page bookmarked you can still access it.  I suppose it helps manage customer expectations.....  :)

Interesting. So the website default is to assume that when they have sold the last one of something there will be no more coming, and somebody has to manually override it if in fact they are expecting another batch in?

You live and learn.

Don't know what happened though with the Hornby web site briefly showing the blue ones as "Stock notification" rather than being order-able.

(Edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

You shouldn't be like be that. I think the majority of people are perfectly happy with the ones they have recieved. I love my NCB one I managed to get just before christmas. It runs really well,

Yes its not 100% perfect, but for the price I think its pretty close. The forthcoming Heljan 05 is on Hattons for £100, over double what they are selling the Sentinel for.....

Owen

I got hold of a green one yesterday. I was running her in and after 20 mins she started slowing down and stopped. I picked her up and she was rather warm to say the least! Has any one else had this problem or can you advise as to what to do as dealer has no more in stock and Hornby say there would be a wait of 2 to 4 weeks for repair plus postage costs!

• RMweb Premium

I think we have to get the bad build quality thing into perspective, to be fair there have been very few problems reported with this model, considering the amount sold the percentage must be minute. Translucent side panels is not a fault it is a niggle, my green side panels were fine, one can easily cut down translucence by painting the inside of the panels, they detach easily enough. The screw thing is an annoyance, I had a similar problem with my Bachmann 10000 with one screw fine, four cross threaded and one jammed solid, Bachmann replaced it from stock which I am sure Hornby will do the same.

I have rebuilt my Sentinel and it looks rough as a Witches t*t but running qualities are superb from the off.

rsh7684, if the model is faulty Hornby should replace it AND the postage which they have always done in the last if I have sent faulty goods back

Edited by 7013
  • Like 1

Mine arrived today and I just came home from work to try it out.

First up! what a tiddler! sweet little thing.

Running was initially hesitant and a bit grindy, but after a short time smoothed up.

I think one wheel is suffering poor pick up.

Over all, love it :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One day some company will design a chip that will be the same size and plugs in like a micro/nano tablet chip, it will contain all the required info and will plug in under the body so that it does not have to be removed. I am sure the technology is there it just needs a company to take it on.

I've managed to get mine apart and back together again, but it proved more trouble than any other loco in my fleet!

Apart from the grief of drilling out the screw and then actually fitting the decoder, I also found putting the rear-of-cab handrails back on a bit of a fiddly nightmare.

Still, it does look very nice now its been weathered, and it runs OK too.  Although I find that the wheels and rails have to be spotless or the loco just doesn't want to play, which suggests a pickup issue on one of the wheels .... sigh ....

Back to Big Engines I think. 

One day some company will design a chip that will be the same size and plugs in like a micro/nano tablet chip, it will contain all the required info and will plug in under the body so that it does not have to be removed. I am sure the technology is there it just needs a company to take it on.

I work for a large telecoms company and we put SIMS that provide all sorts of functionality in many devices with minimal effort - Come on model rail manufacturers listen to your customers ,we have had enough of sub optimal solutions so please get your acts together and provide us with quality solutions and then we will stop shouting at you! :angry:

XF

I work for a large telecoms company and we put SIMS that provide all sorts of functionality in many devices with minimal effort - Come on model rail manufacturers listen to your customers ,we have had enough of sub optimal solutions so please get your acts together and provide us with quality solutions and then we will stop shouting at you! :angry:

XF

There is still the issue of supression capacitors unless decoders are designed to work perfectly well with the caps still in place. Have to agree that with dmus and large diesels there is no really logical reason why models today could not be designed with a bottom accessible socket and housing for the decoder other than someone will complain about the butchered underframe that is not readily visible. The Real Track Pacer is an obvious example where things could have been a whole lot simpler