RMweb

Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

My local shop in Banbury has a plentiful stock of all Sentinels and they will continue to have a plentiful stock when they are charging £68 a time...£21 more than I paid on Amazon!

Would that be the shop starting with a "T"? I grew up in Banbury and spent many a happy hour in that shop.

Bought one yesterday from Langleys in Norwich for £58.

Edited by paul-dereham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be Paul, it still stocks some excellent modelling items, but sadly it's stock of Hornby and Bachmann locos/ rolling stock has shrunk in recent times. There are the occasional bargains to be had but generally they are too expensive generally to warrant buying locos and rolling stock that is why I cancelled my Sentinel order with them and bought from Amazon.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a blue one from my local model shop in Northampton yesterday, they had received two, Tarmac green and a NCB blue.

Very disappointed in its running, put it on my layout last night, clean code 100 track and Electrofrog points, initially didn't move, after a nudge it stuttered and spluttered on straight track, stalled and stuttered on points. Wheels are clean, tried to run it in, even spluttered on a rolling road and kept stalling

Richard

Sounds like you might need to tweak the pick-ups? Might be easier if you remove the wheelsets - not too difficult if you remove the three screws holding the baseplate in situ, carefully remove the brake rigging and baseplate (should come out as one piece, just take care negotiating the steel sandpipes).

• RMweb Gold

My local shop in Banbury has a plentiful stock of all Sentinels and they will continue to have a plentiful stock when they are charging £68 a time...£21 more than I paid on Amazon!

It's a pity they are charging so much, with the consequence that Amazon is cheaper for you. One of our local model shops down here in Devon - Expressway Models at the South Devon Railway at Buckfastleigh, charge £46.70.

Heck, they are all in stock and £55.99 post free from Hornby.com..... 

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame because as I said it stocks some excellent modelling equipment and one can pick up all those tiny screws, pieces of plastic/ metal/ wood etc etc at reasonable prices, but how £ 68 can be asked for a loco with an RRP of £55 defeats me.

In a lighter note I have just started my conversion to the China Clay version ' Denise' Thanks to 37670 for his info on his version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame because as I said it stocks some excellent modelling equipment and one can pick up all those tiny screws, pieces of plastic/ metal/ wood etc etc at reasonable prices, but how £ 68 can be asked for a loco with an RRP of £55 defeats me.

In a lighter note I have just started my conversion to the China Clay version ' Denise' Thanks to 37670 for his info on his version.

I didn't think Hornby were setting rrp's any more.........

• RMweb Premium

I stand corrected on the RRP perhaps I should have wrote HSP (Hornby Site Price!)

Anyway more interestingly I wired my Lenz mini into the blanking plug....so easy , just cut wires on decoder down to about one third length and wired as per plug. The capacitor is very easy to remove, four screws for the motor which eases away from body without any dramas, capacitor is wrapped in a bit of tape and was simple to snip

Popped the loco on the test track and it ran beautifully smooth, right down to scale 1km/h on my Z21, no judders or hesitation just smooth transition throughout acceleration and deceleration. Have to say full marks to Hornby for a fabulous little motor, and model.

All manufacturers set an RRP (ie list price) but it is up to the retailer to set the actual sale price on the shelf based on their wholesale purchase price.

Hornby don't anymore, It's one of the changes the new terms and conditions brought in. That's why rails of Sheffield, for example, don't list a rrp with the new Hornby range like the sentinal. 

Edited by knapper

Just a heads up - Hattons have had a batch of Sentinels into stock today*, however their order was only partly fulfilled and, depending on when a pre-order was placed, customers may or may not get their order.  The next batch is quoted as being due in a weeks time.  Looking forward to the imminent arrival of my little blue NCB!

*according to emails I've had this evening.

Just a heads up - Hattons have had a batch of Sentinels into stock today*, however their order was only partly fulfilled and, depending on when a pre-order was placed, customers may or may not get their order.  The next batch is quoted as being due in a weeks time.  Looking forward to the imminent arrival of my little blue NCB!

*according to emails I've had this evening.

Includes Tarmac ones:

This is an automatic notification to inform you that we have processed your order for the following items:

1 * Hornby R3180 Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in Tarmac green. Weathered (Next batch due 11th March) @ £45.00 each = £45.00

"Patience" is finally coming to allow "Nellie" to be retired.  

All of the resprays featured on here retain the nicely done buffer wasp stripes.  It would be good to pin down the history of those.  Was there a point in time they became obligatory? (I don't think so).  Otherwise I propose a repaint in Sherwood green with red buffer beams to match the rest of my industrial fleet.

• Like 1

All of the resprays featured on here retain the nicely done buffer wasp stripes.  It would be good to pin down the history of those.  Was there a point in time they became obligatory? (I don't think so).  Otherwise I propose a repaint in Sherwood green with red buffer beams to match the rest of my industrial fleet.

Not that I know of. Industrial locos were operated and painted according to their owning companies rules so just about anything went regarding paint. Right up to the 1990s I saw red bufferbeams and the usual yellow/black but also white/blue, yellow/blue, red/yellow chevrons, both with the ^ at the top or bottom.

Plenty of Sentinels in here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28530-industrial-locomotives-in-the-late-80s-to-mid-90s/

Here's my own repainted Hornby Sentinel.

post-494-0-58747600-1393967636.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12

The first batch of Ultrascale conversion sets sold out very rapidly, but David Rogers has indicated he would be willing to produce a second batch if sufficient people are interested, I've already put my name down for two sets if they become available again.

Anyone interested should email David at enquiries@ultrascale.co.uk

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer, and David is aware I'm putting this up here.)

The first batch of Ultrascale conversion sets sold out very rapidly, but David Rogers has indicated he would be willing to produce a second batch if sufficient people are interested, I've already put my name down for two sets if they become available again.

Anyone interested should email David at enquiries@ultrascale.co.uk

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer, and David is aware I'm putting this up here.)

Have just sent an email to them on this very subject as I'm looking to use one on Black Country Blues :)

• Like 2

Had a phone call from Invicta Model Rail (usual disclaimers)  2pm yesterday to let me know they had just had a delivery of Sentinels and mine would be going into the post.  Postie knocked 10 mins ago and there it was.  Good service, well packed, and at £45.99 for the Tarmac version a good price.  It looks a beauty and, after further depredations, should become a seriously grubby, rusty workhorse.

Put in for the Ultrascale wheelsets for EM as above and I can feel a new EM & Co Scrap Merchants layout itching away.........................

• Like 1

Have just put my order in with Topp Trains, Stafford for one of these. He has a number of various liveries on back order, personally I'm not worried what livery as mine will be repainted and regauged for BCB's Trafalgar steelworks.

Not that I know of. Industrial locos were operated and painted according to their owning companies rules so just about anything went regarding paint. Right up to the 1990s I saw red bufferbeams and the usual yellow/black but also white/blue, yellow/blue, red/yellow chevrons, both with the ^ at the top or bottom.

Plenty of Sentinels in here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28530-industrial-locomotives-in-the-late-80s-to-mid-90s/

Here's my own repainted Hornby Sentinel.

attachicon.gifRiver-Don-Works-011.jpg

Falmouth Docks had one in this livery - your loco looks good

XF

I was just looking at Hattons "Hornby Diesels" page, wondering when any of the Sentinels would get to the point where the description read  Limited stocks, but available for immediate order when my eyes drifted up to see R3065 marked as pre-Order!  Now, I can imagine that there is some sort of requirement for a small shunter with the performance characteristics of a Bugatti Veyron, but seeing as its possible to get MIB examples on eB for less than 20 quid, I wonder who would pre-order from Hattons?

Back on topic - I see from the Royal Mail Tracker that my NCB has been lurking at Warrington since yesterday morning.  It'd better get a move on!

*twitch*

• RMweb Premium

I was just looking at Hattons "Hornby Diesels" page, wondering when any of the Sentinels would get to the point where the description read  Limited stocks, but available for immediate order

I think "Limited stocks, but available for immediate order" is just what the system says when the number in stock is very small. I don't think I've ever seen them report 1 left in stock, and all the 2nd hand stuff (where there is usually presumably just one in stock) read "Limited stocks" etc.

Mine arrived from Hattons today, I have yet to order a decoder.

It is a delightful model, diminutive to say the least.

post-1538-0-45977300-1394200486_thumb.jpg

The loco does look good in an industrial setting ...

post-1538-0-58764300-1394200539_thumb.jpg

The side panels are extremely thin and as can be seen here, let the light through ... a bit of paint on the inside should resolve that.

post-1538-0-94427400-1394200594_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Retroman if you look back I photographed the blanking plug, I fitted a Lenz mini as follows.

I accessed and removed the capacitor, 4 screws to undo motor and it is under that.

The coloured wires red, orange, grey and black are plugged into the blanking plug.

Remove blanking plug snipped red and black wires in half.

Remove blue,white and yellow wires from decoder if you do not plan to use them

Reduce length of decoder wires to about a third of their length

Join wires to wires from blanking blanking plug (the sequence is dictated by the wires on the insert plug).Cover with heat shrink.

Put everything back under the blue cab section everything fits easily.

Away you go!

Sorry if this appears a bit condescending it is not meant to be, just explaining how I did it. The Lenz mini is superb and my Sentinel runs very smoothly.

Well "Patience" has arrived.  The weathered Tarmac is a lovely green and is simply too good to repaint.  

One point to flag, the buffer beam inserts I received for the weathered version are not a match for the weathered buffer beam.  You would need to respray.  Basically the buffer beam is heavily weathered and the inserts are a dull yellow.

Grrrr!!  Hornby Decoders are not available from Hattons, and no expected delivery date either!!!!  Any ideas where I can get a substitute?

The decoder reference is X9659 and can be obtained from Hornby service agents. Type the reference into Google. I got mine from Peters Spares, but they're showing out of stock now, as are Hattons. Some shops are showing stock. Hope this helps, Trevor