Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I have finally succumbed and picked up the NCB version today from Arcadia in Shaw (he also had examples of the red one there too). The running qualities are fantastic, given its really short 0-4-0 chassis. It has managed insulfrog and electrofrog points and crossings with ease, and is now running around the garden hauling a few wagons. Even at a slow speed it is coping well and has not stalled once.

It strikes me that, despite all the whining about prices going up and up, this little locomotive offers extremely good value for money in the present climate. I cannot fault it. It is also interesting to note, as an aside, that the decent Hornby wagons that have become available recently are all less expensive than their Bachmann equivelents Tim had the shunters trucks at £9 whereas the Bachmann versions were over £11. Also the Hornby BR brake vans were similarly less than their Bachmann counterparts, and at £12 I was tempted by the CCT if it had been available in a more recent livery.

If Hornby can just sort their supply issues, then they can give Bachmann a run for their money.

I look forward in hope that an MSC version appears.

• Like 3

I've been asked several times about where to obtain the sounds for this loco.

Here's a link to the source, for those interested:

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zssent-sentinel-class-soundfile-zimo.aspx

The release version has different engine sounds when running 'light engine' than when hauling a train.

Kind regards,

Paul

Reposted from the 'Trinity Road' thread, because it features the NCB sentinal running on my garden layout. Considering all the bird doings, it didn't stutter once!

Love the Meccano representation of the Forth Bridge in a gale.  But if all that white is 'bird doings' you must have a flight of our East Anglian Incontinent Starlings migrated your way!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I posted a review a while back when my "Esso edition" Sentinel was performing rather less than satisfactorily. Time to set the record straight...

My original beastie was a bad'un. Two days after posting my initial review, the motor started misbehaving and then the geartrain locked-up completely. A little investigative work found that the motor, at less than half-current on DC, would stall at approximately 3/4 of a rotation. Discussing this with my friendly local retailer revealed that this had been seen before (but not on Sentinels), and was apparently caused by excess solder on the polepieces dragging on the casing. Hornby declined to supply a replacement motor via said retailer ("not yet available"), which turned out to be a good thing when the geartrain also locked-up under DC rolling-road test the next day! Repeated attempts to free it off, including a full strip and rebuild, proved to be futile. I still don't know what the geartrain problem was.

Hattons were, as usual, superb in dealing with this - I sent the loco back, and a replacement was sent as soon as the second batch arrived in Liverpool.

My second example runs perfectly on DC, and is also much better built - the glazing and side skirts both fit properly. The tasked Hornby decoder isn't brilliant - "silent drive" it ain't - but I now plan to hardwire something decent in its place.

So, the good bits of my earlier review still stand - and most of the bad bits have been resolved, decoder excepted. Not a bad result by modern standards.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just acquired my NCB example and I have found that the side sheets are separate from the cab. This has the effect that there is a 'step' in the lining, which is a disappointment. Other than that the loco is fine, a little noisy perhaps, but it runs OK with the Ultrascale P4 wheel conversion.

Regards

Theres some nice Sentinel 4wDM photos in the current issue of "Railway Bylines" (August 2014, p422-3), sadly mono not colour, in Tunnel Cement livery.  There's also some interesting captions too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any news or hints on what future liveries Hornby are planning? Supply issues seem to have been sorted out and all three liveries are turning up again in shops, albeit at a higher price than when they were first released.

Still hoping for an MSC version!

• 3 months later...

Chaps,

has any one fitted Brians / Shawplan laser cut windows to their Sentinel?

If so how, and what glue did you use?

I have skimmed through the 31 pages on this log but could not see any conversions to the glazing.

Gordon A

Bristol

Chaps,

I have skimmed through the 31 pages on this log but could not see any conversions to the glazing.

Gordon A

Bristol

Before the Shawplan glazing became available I flush glazed mine with home cut material which I fixed with Johnson's Klear. I'll use Shawplan glazing for the next ones I do and I'll fix it the same way.

Chaps,

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon,

I've used Johnsons Klear.

Sent1.jpg

• Like 18

How easy is the model to disassemble for painting etc? I haven't much experience in taking loco's apart and I don't want to break it. I want to respray main body to resemble something a bit like this.

sentinel_lmopenday_030906_zps9f849828.jp

mod_loco_van_231005_zps5d65b7c5.jpg

WIP

PhotoGrid_1417992486509_zps6b29f4f4.jpg

Edited by Leadmill
  • Like 11