Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Any suggestions for a paint to match to the body colour Hornby have used, so I can paint over the wasp stripes on the model to re-create the 1960s livery. (I'm a bit colour-blind, so help would be appreciated!)?

I would recommend the whole lot is repainted, body and all - an exact colour match to the Hornby model will be virtually impossible. 

I will be using Humbrol Crimson lake (gloss) from a rattle can, transfers/lining applied and then finish with satin varnish. Details/footplating then picked out with a brush

Sorry to hear that mate. Must be a dud as everyone seems to have fantastic runners. Should be easy for Hornby to fix or replace.

Mine was also poor, but I had to confidence to strip it down and sort it, the vast majority would not.

The pickups also needed tweaking on the NCB variant which I repainted/detailed last year. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Mine was also poor, but I had to confidence to strip it down and sort it, the vast majority would not.

The pickups also needed tweaking on the NCB variant which I repainted/detailed last year.

Paul A.

I'll Amend that statement to most people seem to have great runners.

• Like 1

Up in the loft with my version, doing a bit of shunting, after filming a review of the model.  :locomotive:  Quick question though. Are the two joint levels seen in the cab the throttles? I've been in the cab of an 0-6-0 version at the ESR, but can't quite remember what they where used for  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Having invested in a green one when they first came out, followed by a red one (because the blue one was sold out and the Esso one was a bargain!), I part exchanged the red one today for the new red one instead, its more generic and useful (OK, I have no real use for them, but they're cute).  It looks much less plasticky in the darker red.  

I've found mine to run reasonably well, but I seem to remember someone saying about a small enough decoder for the Sentinel with capacitor built in or attached to prevent the model stalling on points, but can't find the post, am I imagining it?  I seem to think it was a TCS decoder?  

Quick question though. Are the two joint levels seen in the cab the throttles?

They are for the brakes if it is is fitted with train brakes. The brake valve is fitted to the right of the drivers consul the cross linkage is to duplicate the operating lever to the left of the cab.

You can see the left hand lever and cross shaft in this cropped image through the cab door

Sentinel%20Cab%200-6-0%20inside_zpsjmkhb

• RMweb Premium

Just reading the last few comments and looking at the two pictures above, I started to wonder, what actually is the difference between the two types, is there an advantage to one or the other, or do they both have different pros and cons, or was one a cheaper or more robust option than the other?

Just reading the last few comments and looking at the two pictures above, I started to wonder, what actually is the difference between the two types, is there an advantage to one or the other, or do they both have different pros and cons, or was one a cheaper or more robust option than the other?

The rod drive has an extra 70HP and 6 tons more weight to lay the power down.

Having invested in a green one when they first came out, followed by a red one (because the blue one was sold out and the Esso one was a bargain!), I part exchanged the red one today for the new red one instead, its more generic and useful (OK, I have no real use for them, but they're cute).  It looks much less plasticky in the darker red.  

I've found mine to run reasonably well, but I seem to remember someone saying about a small enough decoder for the Sentinel with capacitor built in or attached to prevent the model stalling on points, but can't find the post, am I imagining it?  I seem to think it was a TCS decoder?  

I've got a TCS in my Tarmac one and a Digitrax in Barabel. Both fit with no trouble, although Barabel was fitted differently. On her, I lifted the motor and removed all the Hornby wiring, including the suppressor. Just made the job neater. Both decoders fit under the dash with no mods.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Catweasel.  Are they both fitted with stay-alive type circuits?  I did wonder how well they'd fit, so that's good to know.  Did you find either works better than the other in terms of motor control/finesse or are they both the same, I've never used TCS or Digitrax.

Neither fitted with stay alive. Both perform well on my shunting plank. No trouble with stalling on points either. Code 75 Peco with live frog points. Both go so slow you can hardly see them move if required. No visible changes in the cab. The Digitrax is slightly smaller.

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby and again one I really have been looking forward too! The all new 40 Ton Outer Crank Sentinel, R3354, ‘Barabel’ in stunning lined Maroon Livery with Wasp Strips, as preserved on the Nene Valley railway.
This locomotive is one of 4 types of Diesel Shunters constructed by the Sentinel Wagon Works in 1963, in partnership with Rolls Royce. This version is the 40 Ton Outer Crank design, fitted with an eight-cylinder engine, which produced 325 bhp. These versatile machines saw service with all manner of industries, including collieries, Steel Works, Dock Yards and even the MOD. And many member of the class are now preserved. 
Hornby have done an superb job in capturing the prototype in model form. Featuring a high level of detail, die-cast frames for added weight, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box, including over point work, this model is a must! 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzwTKgx588

post-20663-0-19448700-1442744132_thumb.gif

• Like 5

On first glance the models appear to be identical with the exception of the side rods on barabel. The bodies could well be interchangeable.

Point of fact, just ordered another Barabel and an NCB 4wd engine, will let you all know how I get on with swapping the bodies

Edited by Edge

Well, I have this evening disassembled my 'Barabel' model in readiness for tomorrow's deliveries.

The body shell itself is totally compatible between the two models. However, the side panels forward of the cab are a section attached to the chassis and not the main body. They are therefore left behind when the body is removed. In addition to this, the livery details seem to always cross the line between the cab and the side panels. For instance, the B on NCB (transplant from 4wd drive version) would be cut off if it were placed on the Barabel chassis, which would also show two large red panels.

All in all, there doesn't seem to be an advantage to swapping the bodies about, as the only reason for doing so would be to get a livery change, which won't actually work :)

So it's out with the blue paint tonight :) and yes I do know what time it is :)

Edited by Edge

The ones from Lackenby would make a good prototype! Photo courtesy of Greg Martin!

Mark Saunders

Love that photo. I have got myself a barbel because of the wasp stripes on the sides to respray the body yellow just like that.

(or I will have after Xmas, our ermintrude has whisked it away as a present for me).

attachicon.gifSentinel 64 BSC Lackenby.jpg