Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I've just had a visitation from the ghost of Hornby deliveries future, and he told me that their P2 would be in the shops some time after the A1 Trust's version takes to the rails. He  was just about to tell me when I could expect to shuffle off this mortal coil when I awoke in a muck sweat. 

(Cynical ? Moi ?)

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

Another update from Hattons - now expected 30th June!

Well it gives me 6 months to consider cancelling my order in the wake of 'Duke of Gloucestergate'. Have Hornby hit the panic button I wonder and are going to do take model production forward rather than back to the dark ages? I really hope so.

• RMweb Premium

Another update from Hattons - now expected 30th June!

If you check around for some of the "expected" dates for Hornby's 2014 releases it seems there will be a glut starting in May and going through to August with little listed for the beginning or end of the year!

Keith

I've got CoN, Dominion of Canada and Book Law on pre-order.

Still not sure if I'm going to bother with DoC (already got a few A4's) and there isn't even a release date for Book Law.

So now I've got a bit more time to pay for CoN, I might have a look for something else.

It would not surprise me if CoN slips back again....

Assuming that the P2 does eventually turn up...

My brother has decided that he quite fancies one of these beautiful engines, and some suitable coaches to go with it, but he isn't much of a 'modeller' - so the question is, can you make a prototypical train for the P2 using just RTR stock? Or is it a kit-building exercise?

• RMweb Gold

I would say the Hornby Greeley 61'6" teak coaches would be most suitable

Quite honestly,in r-t-r,there is nothing else,other than kit-built versions.......and therein lies an inherent fly in the ointment.Unless you buy on e-bay,there is little or no stock left ,either with Hornby or retail,for sale.

Gresley teak stock is as gold dust at present,with little sign of new production on the horizon. I foresee many 'light engine' workings for the new model,I'm afraid.

Depends on what the poster was really asking. If it's as general as the type of coaches then yes, Gresley teaks are it and you either hoover up the Hornby ones or build kits. If you're interested in the correct consists of the trains 2001 pulled then you're into kit and scratch building. In England it mainly worked Leeds expresses as far as Doncaster, then in Scotland it was Edinburgh - Aberdeen day and night services. I've only looked into the Leeds trains in any depth but very little of what was rostered is available in a red box.

Oddly, probably the easiest to model would be the train it pulled to Vitry when it went on test. I know a man who supplies resin cast bodies for these:

gc_loco_coal_zps1a434403.jpg

Three of those, a spares van and a brake and you're away.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

Hi Mick,

John Crawley The London and North Eastern Railway in Focus, p118 upper.  That picture has also been in the Gresley Observer but I don't know OTTOMH which number. 

GK did send me another picture which I've mislaid but showed the train en route for Harwich and the train ferry.  The one above was taken at Doncaster before departure.

I imagine contemporary magazines must have reported it as well.

• RMweb Premium

There is a story in a book written by a former railwayman at Bawtry, that Cock 'o' The North once derailed shunting a horse box on less than perfect track in Bawtry goods yard. It was brand new and on a running in turn on a local train.

So we can all use one as a yard shunter as long as we have a layout set withing a few miles of Doncaster.

Seriously, such a loco is always going to be one of those "specials" that we want to have because it is such a magnificent loco rather than need to work the prototype services on our layouts.

Tony

There was a guy I used to know (I say used to, as he sadly passed away a few years ago) who used to do oil paintings of steam loco's, mainly on the ECML around Little Bytham. He would openly admit they were for his own enjoyment and therefore certainly not Rembrandt's, but to my eyes they were pretty fine.

I remember one of his works was Cock O' The North with a rake of Pullman cars at speed through Little Bytham, and although I have no idea of it's accuracy, it looked really very nice.

If my pre-order ever arrives, it will probably end up on the front of some Pullman cars.

But then my levels of accuracy are not very high i'm afraid. I have an old kit built Bugatti nosed P2 earmarked for conversion to BR green

• Like 3

If the standard P2 is due for release June 30th then I find it very curious that the 2014 range TTS version is (according to hattons) arriving on the 6th of the same month. Surely the original should come first? Not that I'm complaining as I've ordered the sound version.

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

Why not just run the locomoitve on your layout without worrying about what the prototype locomotive did?

A few weeks back, I dreamed that I was standing at the lineside when the earth shook, the heavens were filled with a mighty breath of smoke and steam, with a chime whistle somehow making itself heard above the roar as that big, green, beautiful beast came hurtling past and away... I could have been in the North-West Highlands or on Brunel's Billiard Table; I neither knew nor cared ...

Mind you, Hornby have got a lot to live up to after that.

• Like 4